Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide: Model Y or Mach-E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Were I in OP's shoes it would come down to how much I wanted to travel with my EV. I know where I live unless you own a Tesla there is little to no access to DC Fast Charging unless its via Tesla Supercharger. Frankly that has made the decision easier for me to go with a MY.

I was looking at the Mustang Mach E but knew that living in West Virginia I'd basically be limited to a 200 mile trip before needing to charge for an extended time. With Tesla there are superchargers along the main routes. I didn't want to gamble with when/if Elon does open the supercharger network to other EVs. That could happen tomorrow or it could be a year or more down the road.

I guess that's my longwinded way of saying also consider the charging infrastructure near you and where you want to travel to.
Yes, good point. This is an important consideration. I have a family trip to Yosemite scheduled for the spring and would love to take the EV. At this point I’m not sure I would take the Mach-E yet. We still will have two gas cars so for our particular situation, an extended road trip with the EV would be a nice to have but not a necessity. So not a deal breaker for me, but definitely part of the equation.

Advantage Ford Mach-E
  • Build quality. The Mach-E feels solid, and well built. Tesla is known for its inconsistent build quality, including panel gaps, loose parts, and water leaks.
  • Novelty. There are Teslas everywhere. I don’t need to be the only one owning my car, but I’m not sure if it would feel as special if every parking lot I pull into has 10 other cars identical to mine.
  • Dashboard screen behind steering wheel. I just want to see an instrument cluster behind the steering wheel. I don’t like that I have to look to the side to see my speed and range on the Model Y. Plus, the upper left of the Model Y screen just looks unpolished to me. The Mach-E does this much better.
  • Physical controls. The Mach-E has physical controls for adjusting the side mirrors, direction of the climate control, a latch to open the glove box, turn on/off interior lights, and operate the windshield wipers. The Model Y does these through the touchscreen. Who wants to adjust their wipers through a touchscreen.
  • Garage door opener. The Mach-E has a real garage door opener in the visor. I have to pay $350 to get this feature in the Model Y touchscreen, which I’m not about to do. I prefer a real button anyway.
  • Apple CarPlay. Why doesn’t the Tesla have this? It’s just stupid.
  • Long company track record. Ford has been here from the start. Tesla is a newcomer, run by a a guy who seems slightly crazy. Will they be around in 10 years?
I'll just focus on your advantages with ford. my post may be a bit bias but here goes.

- build quality: yes Tesla has an issue with build quality. our 2021 model y had to be in the service center for a computer related issue within the first 2 weeks of taking delivery. service center took care of it. they gave us a rental for free. unfortunately a gas car and they don't pay for gas. fortunately, we have another Tesla. we took the Audi Q5 rental and just used it for "emergency". there are also panel gaps which both my 3 and Y have. I got them to fix the M3 panel gap as it was around one of the doors. I was worried that if it worsens, it could mess with the door alignment. they fixed it, no problem. we ignored the Y panel gaps I guess because we were used to it from our M3. we got it wrapped and called it a day. you really can't tell where the gaps are unless you look for it. we were lucky to not have any paint issues. honestly, there are no perfect cars out there regardless of price. some are built better yes, but none are perfect. Tesla has supported us with any of our concerns regarding warranty repair. they either give you a loaner, a rental, or free uber. other service centers will give loaners or shuttle.

- novelty: it's a bit impossible what you're looking for here. eventually, EV will be everywhere. maybe it's the area you live in that has so many Tesla. the base model M3 are like "Honda Civic/Toyota Camry" in my area. it doesn't bother me at all. I feel happy to see it and share the same amount of gas savings. heck, I feel great seeing other EVs on the road. we got ours white and that's the most popular color. but we wrapped ours, not only wrapped but we go the color changing type so we definitely won't see one like ours. we also wrapped the bottom front bumper and side mirrors. so even if someone got theirs wrapped like ours, we have those differences. even if we saw someone with the same wrap style, all good. I feel I'm part of Team EV. we get so many conversation starters even before our wrap.

- dashboard: if this is your first Tesla, honestly you'll get used to it. you'd be surprised as to how quick. though I'm speaking for myself and my wife.

- physical controls: same as above, you'll get used to it. but yes I agree with the wiper controls. even after 2 years of owning our first Tesla, I still have the tendency to use my right stock stick. it can be dangerous on the road but the gear change will only happen if you're traveling 0-5mph. and in some cases, it requires you to step on the brake. I'm in Southern California, maybe this is another reason why I have yet to get used to it as it rarely rains here. we ordered a model x and will be trading in our M3. so one less car with the confusion as the MX doesn't have this issue with the wipers.

- garage opener: I just used my old garage clicker. saved $350. these were $300 when I bought my M3 2 years ago. many of the accessories have gone up in price. I believe they used to be included in earlier M3 models.

- apple car play: I agree and hope they can add it with software update but it might be hardware update too for the ports to detect devices. our previous car (Honda Odyssey) had it. it was great when we had it new but eventually we didn't even think about it. we liked it over the stock Honda interface. but when we got our Tesla, we started missing it. then we realized we didn't need it since the interface was better than "traditional" car interfaces. car play we mainly used for playing music and maps. Tesla interface does it well in my opinion. no need for car play.

- track record: I see the "traditional" car company being the problem. while it worked in the past, I don't believe it will continue to exist unless they change. one of the biggest things I hate when buying cars is the dealerships. I get that they help with logistics but wow the experience is just a nightmare. everyone has to make money, I get that. buying straight from Tesla, I feel there's little buyer's remorse since the price is right there on their website. you typically can't get that with traditional dealers. we've had several Toyota Prius. each newer model we get has more tech added. at one point, we had a 2013 Sienna and 2011 Prius. both with push to start. neither car will start if I have both keys in my pocket. I have to open my window and put the other key on the roof just to start the car. then it randomly tells me the key is not detected as I'm driving. it's looks like the frequency is conflicting with each other. I took it to several Toyota dealerships and no one can figure it out or they just won't fix it. I even created a YouTube video to show them and other people. this is what concerns me with other manufacturers rushing into the EV world. they are a car company first, tech second or third or fourth. they can fix the car part of the vehicle but what about the tech part? yes, musk is not your typical CEO. maybe it's a good thing? I don't like change, but in things that need improvement, change is a good thing.

I didn't address the other things you listed as I don't have experience first hand or my answer could be too subjective (even more than what I've shared). I feel when a company has control over hardware and software, they have the best chance for optimization. they also will have full control (good thing and bad). they can hold off features for future models when they could easily add now. again, these are companies that want to make money, they are not here to make you happy. they'll make you happy with what they'll offer you. at the end of the day, they are in business for money. customer satisfaction is just icing on the cake.

even if there are more EVs to choose from, from other manufacturers, I would still pick Tesla. they have more experience and their software is just far ahead. everyone has a to catch up. but they can only catch up if they start building EVs. Tesla was in the same boat in the beginning. which is why I waited to get our first Tesla (also couldn't afford it before).

if I were to pick another manufacturer's EV, here are the things I'll consider:
- is there dealership overhead?
- how is the charging network? we went to lego land a few months ago. they had free charging but not Tesla. I'm too spoiled by the Tesla charging experience. it took me 5 minutes to figure it out. then I had to come back 30 minutes later because it got disconnected. I had to go to two other chargers before it finally became "stable". can't complain, it's free though slow.
- will they support the tech part of the car? Tesla releases many software updates and even give new features to old cars.

overall, you can't go wrong with an EV. no more gas. I love how I can charge at home and be ready to go when I leave the house. not only do I save money on gas, but I spend even more money at the gas station from drinks, snacks, lotto tickets. I also lost weight lol (maybe related). good luck on your decision. if you can, why not get both :)

Reactions: mrau and pepperoni
I'll just focus on your advantages with ford. my post may be a bit bias but here goes.

- build quality: yes Tesla has an issue with build quality. our 2021 model y had to be in the service center for a computer related issue within the first 2 weeks of taking delivery. service center took care of it. they gave us a rental for free. unfortunately a gas car and they don't pay for gas. fortunately, we have another Tesla. we took the Audi Q5 rental and just used it for "emergency". there are also panel gaps which both my 3 and Y have. I got them to fix the M3 panel gap as it was around one of the doors. I was worried that if it worsens, it could mess with the door alignment. they fixed it, no problem. we ignored the Y panel gaps I guess because we were used to it from our M3. we got it wrapped and called it a day. you really can't tell where the gaps are unless you look for it. we were lucky to not have any paint issues. honestly, there are no perfect cars out there regardless of price. some are built better yes, but none are perfect. Tesla has supported us with any of our concerns regarding warranty repair. they either give you a loaner, a rental, or free uber. other service centers will give loaners or shuttle.

- novelty: it's a bit impossible what you're looking for here. eventually, EV will be everywhere. maybe it's the area you live in that has so many Tesla. the base model M3 are like "Honda Civic/Toyota Camry" in my area. it doesn't bother me at all. I feel happy to see it and share the same amount of gas savings. heck, I feel great seeing other EVs on the road. we got ours white and that's the most popular color. but we wrapped ours, not only wrapped but we go the color changing type so we definitely won't see one like ours. we also wrapped the bottom front bumper and side mirrors. so even if someone got theirs wrapped like ours, we have those differences. even if we saw someone with the same wrap style, all good. I feel I'm part of Team EV. we get so many conversation starters even before our wrap.

- dashboard: if this is your first Tesla, honestly you'll get used to it. you'd be surprised as to how quick. though I'm speaking for myself and my wife.

- physical controls: same as above, you'll get used to it. but yes I agree with the wiper controls. even after 2 years of owning our first Tesla, I still have the tendency to use my right stock stick. it can be dangerous on the road but the gear change will only happen if you're traveling 0-5mph. and in some cases, it requires you to step on the brake. I'm in Southern California, maybe this is another reason why I have yet to get used to it as it rarely rains here. we ordered a model x and will be trading in our M3. so one less car with the confusion as the MX doesn't have this issue with the wipers.

- garage opener: I just used my old garage clicker. saved $350. these were $300 when I bought my M3 2 years ago. many of the accessories have gone up in price. I believe they used to be included in earlier M3 models.

- apple car play: I agree and hope they can add it with software update but it might be hardware update too for the ports to detect devices. our previous car (Honda Odyssey) had it. it was great when we had it new but eventually we didn't even think about it. we liked it over the stock Honda interface. but when we got our Tesla, we started missing it. then we realized we didn't need it since the interface was better than "traditional" car interfaces. car play we mainly used for playing music and maps. Tesla interface does it well in my opinion. no need for car play.

- track record: I see the "traditional" car company being the problem. while it worked in the past, I don't believe it will continue to exist unless they change. one of the biggest things I hate when buying cars is the dealerships. I get that they help with logistics but wow the experience is just a nightmare. everyone has to make money, I get that. buying straight from Tesla, I feel there's little buyer's remorse since the price is right there on their website. you typically can't get that with traditional dealers. we've had several Toyota Prius. each newer model we get has more tech added. at one point, we had a 2013 Sienna and 2011 Prius. both with push to start. neither car will start if I have both keys in my pocket. I have to open my window and put the other key on the roof just to start the car. then it randomly tells me the key is not detected as I'm driving. it's looks like the frequency is conflicting with each other. I took it to several Toyota dealerships and no one can figure it out or they just won't fix it. I even created a YouTube video to show them and other people. this is what concerns me with other manufacturers rushing into the EV world. they are a car company first, tech second or third or fourth. they can fix the car part of the vehicle but what about the tech part? yes, musk is not your typical CEO. maybe it's a good thing? I don't like change, but in things that need improvement, change is a good thing.

I didn't address the other things you listed as I don't have experience first hand or my answer could be too subjective (even more than what I've shared). I feel when a company has control over hardware and software, they have the best chance for optimization. they also will have full control (good thing and bad). they can hold off features for future models when they could easily add now. again, these are companies that want to make money, they are not here to make you happy. they'll make you happy with what they'll offer you. at the end of the day, they are in business for money. customer satisfaction is just icing on the cake.

even if there are more EVs to choose from, from other manufacturers, I would still pick Tesla. they have more experience and their software is just far ahead. everyone has a to catch up. but they can only catch up if they start building EVs. Tesla was in the same boat in the beginning. which is why I waited to get our first Tesla (also couldn't afford it before).

if I were to pick another manufacturer's EV, here are the things I'll consider:
- is there dealership overhead?
- how is the charging network? we went to lego land a few months ago. they had free charging but not Tesla. I'm too spoiled by the Tesla charging experience. it took me 5 minutes to figure it out. then I had to come back 30 minutes later because it got disconnected. I had to go to two other chargers before it finally became "stable". can't complain, it's free though slow.
- will they support the tech part of the car? Tesla releases many software updates and even give new features to old cars.

overall, you can't go wrong with an EV. no more gas. I love how I can charge at home and be ready to go when I leave the house. not only do I save money on gas, but I spend even more money at the gas station from drinks, snacks, lotto tickets. I also lost weight lol (maybe related). good luck on your decision. if you can, why not get both :)
Wow!! Terrific post, and some great perspective from someone who is now ordering their third Tesla. And thank you for directly addressing the points in my first post. I hadn’t thought about the option of wrapping the car in a different color. I ordered the white and personally like the metallic white on Teslas, but they are everywhere.

Reactions: w1n78
Wow!! Terrific post, and some great perspective from someone who is now ordering their third Tesla. And thank you for directly addressing the points in my first post. I hadn’t thought about the option of wrapping the car in a different color. I ordered the white and personally like the metallic white on Teslas, but they are everywhere.

So I hated white Teslas before getting my white demo MYLR and did not want to be part of the Yet Another White Tesla (YAWT) club. However, after owning it... it has some benefits. The paint is actually quite nice (slight sparkle) and the car is pretty anonymous so you don't worry about being targeted. I found the flat white of my ID.4 (that traded for the Model Y) to be a dirt magnet. The white on the Tesla doesn't pick up dirty, leaves, marks like other cars. It's one white car that I could imagine owning long-term.

Reactions: pepperoni
I raised this point to my Ford salesman, and he pulled a Tesla supercharger adapter for the Mach-E from his desk and stated that it could be used at Tesla superchargers. I haven't done any research to see if this was true. At any rate, 99% of my charging will be in my own garage, so the supercharger network isn't really going to be the deciding factor for me.
What bull - No car sales people lying is one the best parts of buying a Tesla.

Thank you for the reply; yes, I have read some on the voice commands...I have had that function on other cars with less than stellar results. Is the system in the MY any better?

In my experience, the Tesla system is pretty good. And it has improved over time with OTA updates and LTE access to the Mothership. I don't have much experience with voice commands in other cars.

Unfortunately that is not my experience after owning two tesla's past warranty. None of my gasser's required a repair of over $200 in the first 100,000 miles. Both Tesla's have. The windshield cracked on the Model 3 (stone on the interstate) but while my Volt with cameras was $225 to fix I could not get a third party to fix it and Tesla did at $975, over 4X more than my last windshield. I am far from throwing in the towel but in my experience Tesla's are not low maintenance.
The windshield of any car that has forward collision warning or any sort of camera system will be significantly more to replace. I seriously doubt you could replace any windshield for $225 but regardless, it's an apples to oranges comparison. We had to replace the windshield on our Audi A4 and it was over $1000, partly due to the need to recalibrate the sensors. We have a Subaru Forester that has a similar system, so it's not limited to luxury cars.

Much of Munro's objection seemed to be around complexity, weight, and cost. His company specializes in optimization for the auto industry to reduce all of these aspects of production. Hoses and clamps are pretty cheap items to replace typically.
Hoses and clamps cheap to replace, but they're also all potential failure points and while the part may be cheap, the labor is not, not to mention the inconvenience.
I don’t disagree with any of your opinions or have anything to add except for the comment about taking sales away from Tesla. What does that even mean? Tesla sells ever car it makes and has a 6 month back order…no EV, even a good selling one is taking sales away from Tesla. They are all taking sales away from ICE vehicles.

Anyways good luck with your decision and hopefully whatever you decide works for you. There is no one car/brand that will work for all.
We're in a free market - Every car is nominally competing with every other car for sales. Some people don't like Tesla or Elon Musk and would never buy a Tesla, others may simply like Ford (or Nissan, Audi, etc.) better. That's the concern of the marketing folks; it shouldn't be ours.

To the OP, another option you might consider is leasing a Mach E. Normally that's more expensive, but it also gives you the option of either walking away or buying at the end of the lease. If you get it and it's a total dog then it's no big deal. If you love it then you can buy it.

Reactions: pepperoni
I raised this point to my Ford salesman, and he pulled a Tesla supercharger adapter for the Mach-E from his desk and stated that it could be used at Tesla superchargers. I haven't done any research to see if this was true. At any rate, 99% of my charging will be in my own garage, so the supercharger network isn't really going to be the deciding factor for me.
As others have said, this is a complete lie. Super chargers have to be linked to a Tesla account, otherwise they won't work.

They do make adapters that let you use a Tesla wall charger but not superchargers.

Reactions: thesmokingman
I do disagree with your dismissal of Ford as a competitor. In my view, there are a number of areas where they have the advantage (see my original post) and while you may disagree with my opinions, I am not alone. Ford is currently taking orders away from Tesla, and that will only grow over the next few years. Do I think they will overtake Tesla in EV production any time soon? No, of course not. But Ford is a much bigger company than Tesla and has made a serious entry into EVs with the Mach-E and F150. Not everyone will want a Tesla.
The Mach-E sales haven't been all that great from what I'm seeing. September was below average, but someone can correct me on that. As for Tesla sales, it's booming here and overseas. The Mach-E and other EVs will have an impact on market share, but that's because Tesla will no longer be the main player and the market is expanding. Sales is another story.

My 2 cents regarding your Mach-E advantages:

-Body Style: Subjective. To me the Mach-E looks good from some angles and plain from others. I've seen it in person, and really didn't think it stood out that much in the sea of other CUVs. I prefer the more rounded look of the Model Y.

-Paint and Color: Agree, the color choices available for the Mach-E are really eye-caching. Tesla's colors do look great on all their vehicles although I'm sure many would like to see more choices. As for paint quality? Also agree, Tesla has some quality control issues they need to iron out. However, Ford does too. Paint peeling around the headlights are fairly common and there have been lots of complaints about chipping. So no, Ford isn't necessarily superior here. They both can do better.

-Build quality: Disagree. Teslas are solidly built cars. Regardless of any paint issues or panel gaps (both of which are usually easy fixes), my Model 3 feels very well put together. And if you look at the Munroe videos, they are also well put together under the frunk. If you're going to nit pick, let's talk about the Mach-E's uneven roofs, bad half-shafts, bad battery packs, faulty brake pads and rotors, and the recalls for poor windshield and glass roof bonding. Then we can talk about the rat's nest of hoses under the frunk which are just leaks waiting to happen. Under the microscope, the build quality hype of the Mach-E doesn't hold up.

-Novelty: This is probably one of the worst reasons on which to make a purchase decision.

-Dashboard screen: At first, the center screen seemed awkward, but that goes away. I personally like the minimalist look and wouldn't care if there was or wasn't an instrument cluster screen. With that said, there's always room for improvement with regard to the UI. I think the PRND font can be larger. I also think the font can be a little bolder or have an adjustment for that. The maps window can also be a bit larger.

As for the Mach-E, I can't get used to that portrait screen with the center knob and the Sync 4 UI that goes along with it. When you go from the snappy smooth UI on the Tesla, to the laggy, retro look of Sync4, it's like going back 5-10 years.

-Physical controls: I can understand both sides of the argument. I think people that are older will tend to have more issues than the younger more tech savvy crowd. This is also one area where it really pays to read the manual as there are voice commands for things many people think they can't do easily. For the windshield wipers, there is a knob on the left stalk tip that would turn them on immediately for a few seconds and bring up the UI wiper option simultaneously, making it simple to select auto or a speed. Or, you can simply say 'wipers on' or one of the many other variations available.

Same with the glovebox. 'Open glovebox' will do the trick. I only wish there was a 'close glovebox'.

Being a fan of the minimalist look, the less buttons, the better.

-Garage door opener: Don't have a garage, so can't comment.

-Apple CarPlay: I've driven my Tesla on long trips comfortably without Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, as the built-in Nav is more than adequate for the task. This is where I think both cars differ. Tesla has a great reliable nav system whereas Ford simply doesn't, forcing their owners to rely on Apple CarPlay and AA. I do agree, however, that Tesla should allow other options and hopefully in the future we will have them built-in as well.

Long company track record: Yep, over a century old and they still can't put together a car without peeling paint, uneven roofs or recalls right out of the gate.

Mach E is just ugly and it's a ford. Lose lose. Clearly just an opinion. I'm not brand loyal or care much about my model Y either but it was the best looking $40k electric vehicle on the market at the time of my purchase. I'm a car guy and not thrilled about EV but I moved earlier this year which made my daily roundtrip commute from 5 miles to 75 miles so I ditched my Levante and had to get an EV to save probably $250-$300 a month in gas. I've had the model Y since March and have over 13k miles on it already. Easily have saved over $2k in gas. I have a built in charger in my garage but have yet to use it. Haven't needed to yet. I charge at work for free so range and efficiency aren't important. I put oversized wheels on it and my range and efficiency is even less but it looks great! The minimalist look of the interior grows on you over time. It's clean and simple. Hopefully the car lasts me long enough to have the battery covered under warranty which i think is 8 years but I'm not sure. If another EV comes out in this price range and looks even nicer, I'll ditch the Y or give it to my son.

As others have said, this is a complete lie. Super chargers have to be linked to a Tesla account, otherwise they won't work.

They do make adapters that let you use a Tesla wall charger but not superchargers.
There's something weird with this. Stealership flat out lies to him and... nothing. No cognizance of it, and instead he makes the point that supercharging isn't important. lol wut?

Reactions: WhiteWi
There's something weird with this. Stealership flat out lies to him and... nothing. No cognizance of it, and instead he makes the point that supercharging isn't important. lol wut?
I think if you go back to the first page of this thread you will see that both of your statements are not true.

First, I did respond right away after several people pointed out that the Ford salesman told me something that wasn’t true. Yes I was lied to by a car salesman. That’s disappointing but it will make no difference in which car I choose. “No cognizance” though? Where did you get that?

Second, when did I ever say supercharging wasn’t important? I stated it was an advantage for Tesla in my very first post. And on this page too, right at the top, post #161, I said that supercharging was “an important consideration.” So please tell me, what exactly is “weird” here?

The Mach-E sales haven't been all that great from what I'm seeing. September was below average, but someone can correct me on that. As for Tesla sales, it's booming here and overseas. The Mach-E and other EVs will have an impact on market share, but that's because Tesla will no longer be the main player and the market is expanding. Sales is another story.

My 2 cents regarding your Mach-E advantages:

-Body Style: Subjective. To me the Mach-E looks good from some angles and plain from others. I've seen it in person, and really didn't think it stood out that much in the sea of other CUVs. I prefer the more rounded look of the Model Y.

-Paint and Color: Agree, the color choices available for the Mach-E are really eye-caching. Tesla's colors do look great on all their vehicles although I'm sure many would like to see more choices. As for paint quality? Also agree, Tesla has some quality control issues they need to iron out. However, Ford does too. Paint peeling around the headlights are fairly common and there have been lots of complaints about chipping. So no, Ford isn't necessarily superior here. They both can do better.

-Build quality: Disagree. Teslas are solidly built cars. Regardless of any paint issues or panel gaps (both of which are usually easy fixes), my Model 3 feels very well put together. And if you look at the Munroe videos, they are also well put together under the frunk. If you're going to nit pick, let's talk about the Mach-E's uneven roofs, bad half-shafts, bad battery packs, faulty brake pads and rotors, and the recalls for poor windshield and glass roof bonding. Then we can talk about the rat's nest of hoses under the frunk which are just leaks waiting to happen. Under the microscope, the build quality hype of the Mach-E doesn't hold up.

-Novelty: This is probably one of the worst reasons on which to make a purchase decision.

-Dashboard screen: At first, the center screen seemed awkward, but that goes away. I personally like the minimalist look and wouldn't care if there was or wasn't an instrument cluster screen. With that said, there's always room for improvement with regard to the UI. I think the PRND font can be larger. I also think the font can be a little bolder or have an adjustment for that. The maps window can also be a bit larger.

As for the Mach-E, I can't get used to that portrait screen with the center knob and the Sync 4 UI that goes along with it. When you go from the snappy smooth UI on the Tesla, to the laggy, retro look of Sync4, it's like going back 5-10 years.

-Physical controls: I can understand both sides of the argument. I think people that are older will tend to have more issues than the younger more tech savvy crowd. This is also one area where it really pays to read the manual as there are voice commands for things many people think they can't do easily. For the windshield wipers, there is a knob on the left stalk tip that would turn them on immediately for a few seconds and bring up the UI wiper option simultaneously, making it simple to select auto or a speed. Or, you can simply say 'wipers on' or one of the many other variations available.

Same with the glovebox. 'Open glovebox' will do the trick. I only wish there was a 'close glovebox'.

Being a fan of the minimalist look, the less buttons, the better.

-Garage door opener: Don't have a garage, so can't comment.

-Apple CarPlay: I've driven my Tesla on long trips comfortably without Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, as the built-in Nav is more than adequate for the task. This is where I think both cars differ. Tesla has a great reliable nav system whereas Ford simply doesn't, forcing their owners to rely on Apple CarPlay and AA. I do agree, however, that Tesla should allow other options and hopefully in the future we will have them built-in as well.

Long company track record: Yep, over a century old and they still can't put together a car without peeling paint, uneven roofs or recalls right out of the gate.
All really good feedback, thank you! You’re all giving me some new perspectives.

Your gonna hate the Ford charging network big time!!!
Oh they don’t have one, they rely on someone else that makes their own rules and doesn’t give a *sugar* about ford if they can’t charge because it’s owned by VW.
The charging network that every other manufacturer will goes to sucks, nobody respects the charge ports.
I don’t know about the car but your gonna probably even have fear and a lot of range anxiety when you realize the charger that your going to is out of service and your only like 10%.
What are you gonna do?
Your ****ed!!

What an awesome problem to have 😎. They are both great cars but I would choose the Model Y again after owning for about 9 months.

The two main reasons are technology and supercharging. The technology I don’t think needs any explanation. The tests I saw on the Mach E showed that DC fast charging is not a strong area for the Mach E. If you plan to road trip the car or go beyond its range on a regular basis then this is a big deal. If you plan to do 99% of your charging at home then this may not be an issue. It is an issue however that I think would affect resale value of the Mach E.

If cost is the primary consideration then the Mach E wins out there. Even currently they have an $7,500 advantage from the federal tax credit (may increase to $12,500?). This is enough money to make one think about accepting any shortcomings in order to save a significant amount of money. I would however urge you to first talk to your accountant. Not everyone has a tax situation that will allow them to take full advantage of that credit. So while the perception may be that your saving all that money the reality at tax time could be substantially different.

To me the charging, technology, and resale of the Tesla are worth the extra cost. I did choose to lease mine.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide!

According to recent leaks, it looks like the supercharging network will be opened up to non Tesla’s soon. So that specific advantage when comparing the 2 might not exist for much longer.

I have a model Y on order and the supercharging network was a big selling point. If open to everyone then that expands my options and will have to reconsider and look into non Tesla’s a bit deeper.