Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide: Model Y or Mach-E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is EU only . Possibly the sales person pulled out a L2 adaptor and said he could use that lol ..but everything I have read so far is the Tesla network in US was not what that original comment about opening up to other vehicles was about
I believe you are right. The initial statements about sharing with other vehicles pertained to the EU. Speculation is that it will carry to the US, but not at all certain.

Reactions: P85_DA
Couple of points from my experience ..I have owned 3 teslas since early 2013.. in my current X I have over 160k miles and have not even changed brakes ..my only maintenance cost is I replaced tires at ~38k miles each. I live in Cali.. so the supercharger network not only is highly dense but I travel anywhere I want without having “range anxiety” as in the early days …as far as Tesla having staying power..In the early days I know there was some “Wall St” concerns but this company is not going away anytime soon. Sorry to be highly opinionated on this but u cannot go wrong with the Tesla this should be a easy decision 😃

This was an interesting video, but I have to ask... should this make a difference in my decition? I think the purpose of the video was to say that the Ford design had more parts than it needed, and could be simplified allowing Ford to save money and weight. Not surprising for a first generation design. I think this is related to the top advantage I listed for the Tesla over the Ford, specifically "Tesla has been making EVs for a while now, and has straightened out a lot of early production issues."
The rest of the Mach-E videos show those are design decisions that make Mach-E sub-optimal. Production issues (like panel gaps, paint) is generally a process issue which can be solved any time during the production run. Design issues are inherit to the car until Ford updates it which can be the next model year, or longer.

For Ford to catch-up to Tesla in terms of designs, it has to innovate and improve faster than Tesla since Tesla isn’t standing still itself. Look at the single casting, Giga Berlin, 4860 battery, etc.

Last edited:
I own a Model 3 and will take delivery of a Model Y in the next month or two.

A good friend just purchased a Mach-E.

I test drove both vehicles with him. The 3 most important considerations for the purchase, in this order:
Behind the wheel screen and typical knobs/buttons (for his wife).
More comfortable suspension.
Readily available on the lot.

He recognizes the acceleration differences, however, the Mach-E is plenty quick coming from a standard ICE vehicle. It's no Prius, Leaf or Bolt.

In the end, for me, I'm choosing the better EV technology. He chose the more traditional cockpit experience.

Here's the upshot: almost all your Y advantages are concrete, measurable things. You can say the Tesla "does X and the Ford doesn't" or "is faster at Y" or "holds more Z".

And conversely almost everything in the Mach-E list is an aesthetic preference...

We can't tell you what your tastes are. If you really do prefer the Mach-E then it seems like your decision is already made. The fact that you're here at all and not in a Ford dealer means... you probably don't actually care about all that stuff. It's just a list.

Pick the features, not the list. You can get used to automatic wipers and learn to prefer them. Your car will never hold more stuff or go faster with the benefit of experience.

Couple of points from my experience ..I have owned 3 teslas since early 2013.. in my current X I have over 160k miles and have not even changed brakes

I love stories like this! A good friend of mine owns two Teslas (one is a 2013 S) and had similar feedback for me. It could be the case that Ford owners will be saying the same thing 8 years from now, but it is really hard to say today.

I love stories like this! A good friend of mine owns two Teslas (one is a 2013 S) and had similar feedback for me. It could be the case that Ford owners will be saying the same thing 8 years from now, but it is really hard to say today.
Expect to have a regular maintenance schedule with the Mach-E (whether that includes pre-emptively replacing brakes or not, I can't say). Ford Dealers need to stay in business, afterall.

Here's the upshot: almost all your Y advantages are concrete, measurable things. You can say the Tesla "does X and the Ford doesn't" or "is faster at Y" or "holds more Z".

And conversely almost everything in the Mach-E list is an aesthetic preference...
Really good point, and one I hadn't noticed. You're right, all of the advantages I listed for the Mach-E are aesthetic. My head says Model Y, but my heart says Mach-E. Honestly, the one thing that would make me regret my decision would be if my car were in the shop all the time. I have no evidence that this would be the case for either of these cars, but the longer track record for Tesla is definitely a point in its favor.

Expect to have a regular maintenance schedule with the Mach-E (whether that includes pre-emptively replacing brakes or not, I can't say). Ford Dealers need to stay in business, afterall.
Tesla’s get brakes lubed every year. Read the manual. Nobody does it, but they do call for maintenance. I’ve read accounts of it not being cheap. Mustang I’m sure is same.

So, OP I have to ask... why does it appear you are not interested in the 22 page thread on this exact topic that was linked above?
I would say his original post he had very specific comparisons and perhaps he wanted folks to weigh in on 😀…comparison threads on TMC are like battery range discussions ..u just can’t have one thread it seems 😂

I'm in a similar boat between the Mach-E and Tesla. Here are some additional benefits of each from my POV:

Tesla:
- 7 seats
- Resell value/prestige
- Faster velocity of new features
- Rear heated seats
- Electronic seat release in trunk

Mach-E:
- Smoother and quieter ride
- Keypad on door (nice to completely unload my stuff when needed)
- Blind spot indicator on side rearview mirrors
- Aerial 360 view
- Cross traffic alert
- Trunk kick opening
- Front bumper cam
- Self park without FSD

Some MME features can be added to the Tesla, though it's unfortunate that I'd have to rely on mods and hacks: driver display and CarPlay (Hansshow), front bumper cam (Hansshow), trunk kick (Hansshow), smoother ride (various coilover kits), Android Auto (TeslAA android app), color (paint or wrap)

Tesla's supposedly opening up their supercharger network, so maybe that benefit will come to MMEs

Sour taste I get is when watching YT videos and folks trying to achieve or wish for features that MME has. Examples I recall are the wipers (one guy was wishing they'd add multiple-tap of the button on the stalk to actually control the wipers), trunk kick (one guy was proud of his hack to achieve something similar via Siri and AirPods), blind spot (one guy wanted the side camera angles to appear automatically when turning on turn signal).

So, OP I have to ask... why does it appear you are not interested in the 22 page thread on this exact topic that was linked above?
PA_85 said it, I'm interested in getting feedback on my specific considerations for these two cars, and have generally appreciated the feedback I've received so far. You're the moderator here. Are you trying to say this thread is redundant to the other thread? Would you have preferred that I post on the 22 page thread instead?

It’s hard to make any comparisons of other EVs as the supercharger network is what makes owning a Tesla so nice ! Until other automakers come with a nationwide network I won’t drive any other EV but Tesla ..my own opinion :)
If not making trips beyond 200 miles, I think there are lots of acceptable EV's, but the super charger system puts all Teslas years ahead of all the others for road trips, even if not taken often.

The legacy companies are still not showing a commitment and the comparison between EA and the Tesla SC is a joke

PA_85 said it, I'm interested in getting feedback on my specific considerations for these two cars, and have generally appreciated the feedback I've received so far. You're the moderator here. Are you trying to say this thread is redundant to the other thread? Would you have preferred that I post on the 22 page thread instead?
As I said up thread, I am not a moderator in this section. As I also said up thread, its my opinion that this thread should have been made in that existing thread since its the same topic, and if I was a moderator in this section, I would have simply moved it there. I am not a moderator for this section however, and as I said up thread, do not know if the main moderator for this thread agrees with me, and do not feel strongly enough about it to report the thread to bring it to their attention.

TMC is a very large website, so has moderation duties broken up between subforums, of which there are many.

As my signature says, however, most of the posts I make are made as a regular member, unless specifically denoted as moderation content (of which this is not). This is just me as a regular user, asking the question, mostly because the opinion of "TMC members" on that comparison is covered in 22 pages of thread already.

As I said up thread, I am not a moderator in this section. As I also said up thread, its my opinion that this thread should have been made in that existing thread since its the same topic, and if I was a moderator in this section, I would have simply moved it there. I am not a moderator for this section however, and as I said up thread, do not know if the main moderator for this thread agrees with me, and do not feel strongly enough about it to report the thread to bring it to their attention.

TMC is a very large website, so has moderation duties broken up between subforums, of which there are many.

As my signature says, however, most of the posts I make are made as a regular member, unless specifically denoted as moderation content (of which this is not). This is just me as a regular user, asking the question, mostly because the opinion of "TMC members" on that comparison is covered in 22 pages of thread already.
For laughs I did go back and reference that thread ..I have no skin in this as it’s easy decision for me on something like this ..there just is no comparison to owning a tesla …however that thread has some useful info but quickly devolves into cross talk ..kind of like the 600+ page “batterygate” thread where it’s now nearly impossible to find useful info. For the benefit of Pepp.. since he’s new member I find no issues for folks weighing in on his specific asks and comparisons ..as when I first joined TMC I was just as guilty on adding similar type thread etc 😀 …that said if this had a vote button I would no doubt be voting the Y 😍

I bought the Mach e in Mid July and flipped it three months later for a nice profit that I used as a down payment on the MY.

The mache e was nice but the technology was not close to the Tesla. The PAAK was totally unreliable which I found to be totally unacceptable. Especially considering the car had been out for almost a year when I purchased it. Software updates were non existent for the month I had it. The Ford Connect app is light years behind Teslas. The real world range is as good as advertised despite what others here have said. I was getting slightly more range from the MME than I am from my MY. I also found the MME to be cheaper feeling. The plastics used and buttons just didn’t feel premium. When coming to a stop the breaks would clamp down and make an annoying sound every time. Was infuriating in stop and go traffic. The suspension also felt less solid than the Tesla. The MME feels much smaller when in you’re in it. The Tesla just feels roomier, more spacious. The MME steering was better though, less twitchy. Also, the MME has XM and Apple car play/android auto support.

Overall, the MME is nice but it feels like an electric car from a company that doesn’t have that much experience with electric cars. While the Tesla is much more refined and futuristic.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned yet but there is absolutely nothing you need to remove your hands from the steering wheel or eyes from the road to control. I see all these comments and complaints about no physical buttons and how you have to look at a screen for wipers etc in different forums ( I follow the Rivian forum and see it there all the time). Your right thumb and your voice is all you need to do everything. Change radio stations, change wiper settings, change heater settings, whatever. It is the easiest interface ever. No hands leave the steering wheel ever. Plenty of other possible reasons to chose the MMe over the Y but the interface should be a win for the Y.

I am new to EV although I have 2012 Toyota Prius Hybrid for my daily commute and I love my Prius and very reliable car with 220K. I have been driving Acura MDX and TLX. I sold my MDX because of gas guzzler. I decided to purchase Tesla MYLR than Mach E because there are many charging stations especially in California. This is the most important for me to decide. Tesla is more establish for EV than Ford. Most of us will charge our Tesla at home but I have to consider charging it outside as well when I travel out of town. Tesla's quality is so much better now, I did not see any flaws on my Tesla during my inspection. We were born with buttons on the car and Tesla has almost no buttons, most of the controls are on the screen. I have my Tesla for about 3 weeks, I enjoy it, fun to drive, superior technology and nice looking car. I have seen many Tesla Ys before I purchased mine and I never get bored with the look. I also saw many Mach E but I get bored with the look. These are my opinions.