Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide: Model Y or Mach-E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Mach E appeals to you, purchase it. However, if I'm traveling to any ski resort, the ease of AWD is suitable
I did change my Mach-E order to an AWD so no difference there… and thanks to you for reviving this dormant thread…. Both of these cars should be coming in soon, March hopefully, so I have some decisions to make very soon. Currently leaning Y, but my current misgivings have nothing to do with the car quality but Tesla’s CEO. I do not like him. Furthermore, the reports from the CA lawsuit about the Fremont plant really trouble me. I like the brand but it is getting a bit tarnished. So that’s a new consideration I didn’t list when I first opened this thread. Decisions…

I did change my Mach-E order to an AWD so no difference there… and thanks to you for reviving this dormant thread…. Both of these cars should be coming in soon, March hopefully, so I have some decisions to make very soon. Currently leaning Y, but my current misgivings have nothing to do with the car quality but Tesla’s CEO. I do not like him. Furthermore, the reports from the CA lawsuit about the Fremont plant really trouble me. I like the brand but it is getting a bit tarnished. So that’s a new consideration I didn’t list when I first opened this thread. Decisions…

My wait for my MYLR was 158 days.
My wait for ANY of my Mach-E orders: 145 days so far and one scheduled for mid April (so delivery at best early June).

I heard all recent Mach-E builds are in chiphold with dates pushed back to May. Hopefully yours has built and now is shipping.

You will like/love either the Y or Mach-E. They are more similar than different IMO.

My wait for my MYLR was 158 days.
My wait for ANY of my Mach-E orders: 145 days so far and one scheduled for mid April (so delivery at best early June).

I heard all recent Mach-E builds are in chiphold with dates pushed back to May. Hopefully yours has built and now is shipping.

You will like/love either the Y or Mach-E. They are more similar than different IMO.
My Mach-E scheduled build week is 2/28, so normally it would be 4-6 weeks to delivery. But maybe later if there are chip shortages. My Y EDD is 3/6 - 3/31 so odds are the Y shows up first. I’m guessing I’ll be in the CA EOQ push.

Jeezus bloody cRist! I can totally understand some people buying the Mach-E because they somehow like the shape and something inside. I do NOT understand people willingly purchasing a Ford while b...ng about Elon Musk. Ford will be always known for actively promoting and instigating what later resulted in Holocaust. Ford family spend tens, hundreds of millions for the people to forget it. But they didn't change the company name. I will never ever buy Ford because of Henry Ford. If you believe that Elon Musk is anywhere near Henry Ford, I am sorry for you.

My Mach-E scheduled build week is 2/28, so normally it would be 4-6 weeks to delivery. But maybe later if there are chip shortages. My Y EDD is 3/6 - 3/31 so odds are the Y shows up first. I’m guessing I’ll be in the CA EOQ push.

Honestly you might not see either for two or more months. The Mach-E I heard takes four weeks to build and four weeks to ship and with Tesla the EDD of a month can be meaningless. Probably likely of an EOQ push but who knows.

Reactions: pepperoni
So I was also deciding between these two and here is my 2 cent. I like the design of the Mach e better. The range of the Mach e is better. The fit and finish is probably better although I would say Tesla is closing the gap (pun intended!). However if you are planning on doing road trips the model y I think is better. The supercharger network is more reliable although electrify America is catching up, the charging time for the Tesla from 10-80 is 25 vs 41mins on the Mach e. I live in Colorado and that heat pump will make a huge difference in range. So for me the model y makes sense over the Mach e.

The other car I looked at was the Hyundai ioniq5. The range is what troubles me for the awd. Also the software in that car is an afterthought. It’s really a normal car that happens to be electric. I know they are using their new egmp platform but to me it feels like their first entry into ev and they will have significant upgrades in a couple of years making the current ioniq 5 completely obsolete so resale value will plummet. Also it hasn’t been out long enough to know how the car is going to be after 100k miles. This lead me back to the model y where I think it will hold its resale value better even if I don’t get the 4860 battery. It’s like deciding between android and apple in the early days. Do you want to get another car in a couple of years or hold on to one for 5-7yrs?

Last edited:
Jeezus bloody cRist! I can totally understand some people buying the Mach-E because they somehow like the shape and something inside. I do NOT understand people willingly purchasing a Ford while b...ng about Elon Musk. Ford will be always known for actively promoting and instigating what later resulted in Holocaust. Ford family spend tens, hundreds of millions for the people to forget it. But they didn't change the company name. I will never ever buy Ford because of Henry Ford. If you believe that Elon Musk is anywhere near Henry Ford, I am sorry for you.
If this were 1922, maybe I would reconsider buying a Ford. But it is 2022, and I didn’t see Farley tweet a Hitler meme last week.

Listen, it was not my intention to stir the pot, so maybe in retrospect my last post was ill considered. I’m not trying to troll you or slime Tesla, and in all likelihood I will be purchasing the Y. I did start this thread to help me weigh my own personal considerations. This is a new one for me, and I’ve seen a lot over the last 5 months since I placed my order that has made me do a double take.

I’ll leave this one alone for now, since I am not looking for a debate. It is what it is. Hopefully my next (and final) post to this thread is about me accepting delivery, and with photos if it is the Y.

So I was also deciding between these two and here is my 2 cent. I like the design of the Mach e better. The range of the Mach e is better. The fit and finish is probably better although I would say Tesla is closing the gap (pun intended!). However if you are planning on doing road trips the model y I think is better. The supercharger network is more reliable although electrify America is catching up, the charging time for the Tesla from 10-80 is 25 vs 41mins on the Mach e. I live in Colorado and that heat pump will make a huge difference in range. So for me the model y makes sense over the Mach e.

The other car I looked at was the Hyundai ioniq5. The range is what troubles me for the awd. Also the software in that car is an afterthought. It’s really a normal car that happens to be electric. I know they are using their new egmp platform but to me it feels like their first entry into ev and they will have significant upgrades in a couple of years making the current ioniq 5 completely obsolete so resale value will plummet. Also it hasn’t been out long enough to know how the car is going to be after 100k miles. This lead me back to the model y where I think it will hold its resale value better even if I don’t get the 4860 battery. It’s like deciding between android and apple in the early days. Do you want to get another car in a couple of years or hold on to one for 5-7yrs?

I don't think the range except for the Route 1 trim is better than a Model Y. The Model Y is way more efficient from my first hand experience (3.6 mi/kWh at 75mph vs. sub 3.3 mi/kWh with the Mach-E) and Inside EV tests.

I miss the Mach-E's safety features (360 cam, cross traffic alerts, etc). What I don't miss is the slow DC charging.

...but my current misgivings have nothing to do with the car quality but Tesla’s CEO. I do not like him. Furthermore, the reports from the CA lawsuit about the Fremont plant really trouble me. I like the brand but it is getting a bit tarnished. So that’s a new consideration I didn’t list when I first opened this thread. Decisions…
So, a jury awards over 130 mil in a lawsuit (under appeal) and suddenly a bunch of 3-year-old never before made claims surface and the brand is tarnished? Without Musk and his drive for sustainable energy. his extraordinary engineering talent and his perseverance, you wouldn't be considering today's choices - they wouldn't be here.

BTW, I've seen nothing that justifies "I don't like him". His personality is exactly why Tesla and SpaceX, etc. are succeeding.

I don't think the range except for the Route 1 trim is better than a Model Y. The Model Y is way more efficient from my first hand experience (3.6 mi/kWh at 75mph vs. sub 3.3 mi/kWh with the Mach-E) and Inside EV tests.

I miss the Mach-E's safety features (360 cam, cross traffic alerts, etc). What I don't miss is the slow DC charging.
Yup this. With Mach-E to get competitive range with an LR AWD Tesla you must give up a lot of power and give up AWD. Fine for some but too much trade-off for me. So I would've bought the GT PE but it doesn't have the range of a AWD Performance Tesla.

If this were 1922, maybe I would reconsider buying a Ford. But it is 2022, and I didn’t see Farley tweet a Hitler meme last week.

Listen, it was not my intention to stir the pot, so maybe in retrospect my last post was ill considered. I’m not trying to troll you or slime Tesla, and in all likelihood I will be purchasing the Y. I did start this thread to help me weigh my own personal considerations. This is a new one for me, and I’ve seen a lot over the last 5 months since I placed my order that has made me do a double take.

I’ll leave this one alone for now, since I am not looking for a debate. It is what it is. Hopefully my next (and final) post to this thread is about me accepting delivery, and with photos if it is the Y.
I am okay with almost everything you say, and I totally understand your logic. What really "triggered" me is mentioning of Musk character in reference to Fremont racism accusations. Apart from the fact that Elon Musk is one true African American, some people achieve success through hard work when others are making money and name on constant complains. For the tune of $130M I probably let a gang of perverts to abuse me verbally, physically, and sexually until I die, so my children, and children of my children live happily ever after. Someone said the N-word? Wrote something in the restroom? When was the last time you visited restrooms of any typical HIGH SCHOOL or College?!?!?! This woke BS must end or we become China in the times of Cultural Revolution with camps correcting the culturally-political correctness according to the latest memorandum of the Ministry of Truth. As a descendant of Belorussian slaves and the victim of the Communist regime, I can sympathize with officially legislated minority groups in the US, but I can't see them as "special", sorry.

I am in the same boat, Pepperoni. Both vehicles have good points but one or two things on each that are not so good.
I rented a Tesla 3 LR for few days for few days to try it firsthand. As most have commented, controlling everything through the screen is different. I would like to have, at least, a speedo right in my line of vision or a HUD would be even better.

One thing everyone points to a positive of Tesla is the Supercharger network. I used the only one we have in our city twice. First time I was in a hurry and it was full. I was surprised. It was the middle of the day and in the middle of the week. I was like, "What the heck? This is one of the reasons I would buy a Tesla.". However, in about 5 minutes one opened up and I started my charge. There are 82 tesla supercharger ports and 23 "other" DCFC ports in my state. And 72% of the EV's registered in my state are Tesla's so the number of chargers per EV are about the same. I know there are a bunch of assumptions there. First, being the "other" DCFC are functioning. Second, that I would even use DCFC in my area since I will charge mostly at home. Third, no way to account for all the motorists from other states passing through and using the DCFC's. Fourth, the SC and Tesla's will charge faster than the others DCFC's, and the MME's and other vehicles using them. I say all that to say--it seems that the SC network is not keeping up with the Tesla sales. Would that be a fair statement?

Probably the biggest hangup on the Mach-e for me is the "five-second" rule on the acceleration/power. I expect the vehicle to go as fast as I paid for it to go until the battery is discharged just like I believe the Tesla does. So if I get a MME-GT I will be (almost) as fast as the MY-P for one run, then I am out. lol. Second biggest being the $9,500 price difference (including tax credit).

Very informative thread. Thanks to all.

Glad you found the thread useful, @ryano7700. This thread and TMC was enormously helpful to me in my decision, but I think it is time that I bring my own participation in his thread to a close. I have at long last purchased a car, which is ….[drumroll] … the Model Y. I can’t tell you how helpful nearly everyone has been on this site, thank you thank you! I say “nearly everyone” though there are a vocal few of you with sharp elbows, and I’ll leave it at that since I was probably asking for it posting about a Ford on a Tesla site.

Ultimately my decision came down to timing. I ordered both about the same time. I received my new Y on Wednesday, 3/23, nearly 6 months after my 9/25 order. The Mach-E was built last week and is being shipped from Mexico right now. Apparently it takes 6 weeks to ship the car, so it won’t get here until beginning of May. I could walk faster than that!

Honestly, I would have accepted the Mach-E if it came here first and would be equally happy with either one. The cars are more closely matched than many here would like to believe. At least that was my assessment. Another strong factor for me was the fact that the Mach-E still qualifies for the $7.5K tax credit. (The cars were equally priced when I ordered, though the Y is way more expensive now.) This advantage was offset by the uncertainties in reliability and longevity of the Mach-E, which is still a first generation car. The Y has been out for several years now with hundreds of thousands on the road, so it has a more proven track record.

So here is my new car Shadowfax, gallant steed of Rohan. I love this new car!

9B4D5242-4311-4AB4-9953-0F3A57C0B0F7.jpeg

AE797FF6-DF00-4D10-B4BD-1E1C8927A83A.jpeg

I am in the same boat, Pepperoni. Both vehicles have good points but one or two things on each that are not so good.
I rented a Tesla 3 LR for few days for few days to try it firsthand. As most have commented, controlling everything through the screen is different. I would like to have, at least, a speedo right in my line of vision or a HUD would be even better.

One thing everyone points to a positive of Tesla is the Supercharger network. I used the only one we have in our city twice. First time I was in a hurry and it was full. I was surprised. It was the middle of the day and in the middle of the week. I was like, "What the heck? This is one of the reasons I would buy a Tesla.". However, in about 5 minutes one opened up and I started my charge. There are 82 tesla supercharger ports and 23 "other" DCFC ports in my state. And 72% of the EV's registered in my state are Tesla's so the number of chargers per EV are about the same. I know there are a bunch of assumptions there. First, being the "other" DCFC are functioning. Second, that I would even use DCFC in my area since I will charge mostly at home. Third, no way to account for all the motorists from other states passing through and using the DCFC's. Fourth, the SC and Tesla's will charge faster than the others DCFC's, and the MME's and other vehicles using them. I say all that to say--it seems that the SC network is not keeping up with the Tesla sales. Would that be a fair statement?

Probably the biggest hangup on the Mach-e for me is the "five-second" rule on the acceleration/power. I expect the vehicle to go as fast as I paid for it to go until the battery is discharged just like I believe the Tesla does. So if I get a MME-GT I will be (almost) as fast as the MY-P for one run, then I am out. lol. Second biggest being the $9,500 price difference (including tax credit).

Very informative thread. Thanks to all.

Regarding the on-screen display and controls, this was something that I was quite apprehensive about before we bought our Tesla Model 3. However, I found that I got used to it in about 2 days, and now I far prefer it. In fact, operating the controls of other cars now really annoys me. This preference for the Model 3 approach includes speedometer: it is at the upper left portion of the screen and easily viewable while driving - more easily viewable than most speedometers which force you to look down and through the steering wheel.

Regarding Tesla Supercharger outlets not keeping up adequately with Tesla sales, I think that is a fair comment for some areas. I don't have to use the Superchargers all that often - 98% of my charging so far has been at home or, occasionally, plugging in overnight at other Level 2 chargers. And so far when using a Supercharger, I have never had to wait. But I have definitely heard stories that there are some very busy or underserved areas where people regularly have to wait to access a Supercharger.

Ultimately my decision came down to timing. I ordered both about the same time. I received my new Y on Wednesday, 3/23, nearly 6 months after my 9/25 order. The Mach-E was built last week and is being shipped from Mexico right now. Apparently it takes 6 weeks to ship the car, so it won’t get here until beginning of May. I could walk faster than that!

Honestly, I would have accepted the Mach-E if it came here first and would be equally happy with either one. The cars are more closely matched than many here would like to believe. At least that was my assessment. Another strong factor for me was the fact that the Mach-E still qualifies for the $7.5K tax credit. (The cars were equally priced when I ordered, though the Y is way more expensive now.) This advantage was offset by the uncertainties in reliability and longevity of the Mach-E, which is still a first generation car. The Y has been out for several years now with hundreds of thousands on the road, so it has a more proven track record.

Technically you could trade in the Model Y for the Mach-E... lol.

I still plan to accept delivery on my Mach-E GTPE in May/June and probably will keep one of my Y or 3 also.

I personally could not live with a CCS1-based EV as a primary/sole car in Florida. In CA, it's very possible.

Reactions: pepperoni and tm1v2