Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me Decide: New Wall Charger or 14-50 Receptacle + Mobile charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1st things 1st: Yes, I searched the for this topic before posting. I only found 1 in the Model Y section.

So, Should I go with the Full Monty wall charger for my Std Range Model 3 or for the basic 14-50 receptacle install? The panel is in my driveway furthe back and I'd want to put the connetion point (wall or receptical form pipe in the ground) closer up near the front for ease of access (24 or 20 foot cable). There's no incentives for eithe since my utility, LADWP, doesn't include the Tesla wall charger in it's list of authorized units. They say they can't connect to it to monitor it.

So, I read that the mobile charger supplies 32a only but I also read the std range RWD can only take 32a. All that considered, I'm leaning toward the receptacle.

1st things 1st: Yes, I searched the for this topic before posting. I only found 1 in the Model Y section.

So, Should I go with the Full Monty wall charger for my Std Range Model 3 or for the basic 14-50 receptacle install? The panel is in my driveway furthe back and I'd want to put the connetion point (wall or receptical form pipe in the ground) closer up near the front for ease of access (24 or 20 foot cable). There's no incentives for eithe since my utility, LADWP, doesn't include the Tesla wall charger in it's list of authorized units. They say they can't connect to it to monitor it.

So, I read that the mobile charger supplies 32a only but I also read the std range RWD can only take 32a. All that considered, I'm leaning toward the receptacle.
There are two other advantages for the Wall Connector:
1) if the EVSE is outside and exposed to the elements, the wall connector is designed to stand up better to rain and other weather extremes.
2) if it is located in the front of your house, someone could steal your mobile charger quickly and easily. A hardwired wall connector is harder to steal. You could unplug the mobile charger after each charge, but that is a hassle and might put a lot of wear and tear on the outlet.

Personally, I chose to do both. I have a wall connector and a 14-50 outlet. I normally use the wall connector but it is nice to have the 14-50 outlet in case the wall connector breaks down.

If you have future plans to get something better (perf or longrange etc) get the wall charger if you plan on keeping this for a long time mobile will be cheaper assuming you can secure it in a garage/shed.

As a rwd owner I went with the mobile charger due to the way my place is layed out it will cost a fortune to get anything more than 240 20 amp out to my shed (next to my parking spot) I went with the mobile charger. If/when I move will 100% look for the ability to install a wall unit or a 14-50 at a minimum.

To get to my shed I would have to get hoa approval to either run new conduit exposed from my condo to the shed and would be around 30 ft exposed and 50-60ft in wall from electrical panel towards the shed. Or tear up concrete and replace the wire. It has 12-3 wire running to it one was a switched leg for a light that I rarely use and one always on that operates the outlets and motion flood light. I put a double pull on the 2 lines that feed it and then a sub panel in my shed that breaks out to 2x120s 15 amps for lights and outlets and a 240-20a for the charger and bypassed the switch have the light hooked up using a hue lightbulb.

I would definitely go with a wall connector if planning on staying there a while.

Wall outlets can wear out or potentially draw too many amps. A wall connector can be set to limit amps.

I also preferred to have it installed by a licensed contractor in case there are issues.

Reactions: rpiotro

There's really no advantage to the wall connector for you with a standard range Model 3. Your Model 3 can't charge at more than 32A on AC, and that is what the mobile connector delivers. Even if you have a long range Model 3, there's really no need for a wall charger unless you consistently drive more than 200 miles in a day where you're close enough to go home to charge. In a little over 4 years and 71k miles of driving our Model 3, there has never been an instance for us where being able to charge at 45 miles per hour would have made a difference versus 30 miles per hour.

The mobile connector also has a big advantage in that it's easy to take with you when you go on a trip. You can charge up at EV parks with electrical connections or at family's or friend's house when you visit. Just make sure you use a good, commercially rated 14-50 socket at home. People have had good experiences with Hubbell and Bryant sockets, but Levitons have had problems. I replaced the Leviton my electrician installed with a Bryant myself.

I would definitely go with a wall connector if planning on staying there a while.

Wall outlets can wear out or potentially draw too many amps. A wall connector can be set to limit amps.

I also preferred to have it installed by a licensed contractor in case there are issues.
Wall outlets only wear out if you're unplugging and plugging them in all the time, like every day for years, and the outlet is of poor quality. In over 4 years, I've unplugged my mobile connector less than 10 times. I just use it like a wall charger except for when I go on a trip.

Also, a Tesla mobile connector can't draw too many amps as long as you don't use any non-Tesla adapters since the mobile connector automatically adjusts the amperage draw based on the adapter cable plugged into it. Plug in a 14-50 adapter and the max draw is 32 amps, a 10-30 adapter will draw 24 amps, etc.

Really, a wall connector is just a waste of money for a Model 3 unless you have very uncommon driving habits.

Last edited:
A wall charger was not an option for me. My garage (A barn actually) is about 70 feet from my house. It has a whopping 15 amp service. The line from the house to the barn is underground and dates to before WW2. Upgrading the power in the barn would cost at least several thousand dollars (not counting the repairs to the lawn). So I use my mobile connector and a 14-50 Nema connection. I paid an electrician to install the exterior 240 volt plug. The plug, the 14-50 Nema and the mobile connector sit inside a locked metal box, bolted to the exterior of the house. Yes, I do have to unlock the box to charge the car - no big deal. Total cost (box, lock, 240 volt line installation) $325. This was the best and cheapest option for me. There are no hard set rules about these things.

There's really no advantage to the wall connector for you with a standard range Model 3. Your Model 3 can't charge at more than 32A on AC, and that is what the mobile connector delivers. Even if you have a long range Model 3, there's really no need for a wall charger unless you consistently drive more than 200 miles in a day where you're close enough to go home to charge. In a little over 4 years and 71k miles of driving our Model 3, there has never been an instance for us where being able to charge at 45 miles per hour would have made a difference versus 30 miles per hour.

The mobile connector also has a big advantage in that it's easy to take with you when you go on a trip. You can charge up at EV parks with electrical connections or at family's or friend's house when you visit. Just make sure you use a good, commercially rated 14-50 socket at home. People have had good experiences with Hubbell and Bryant sockets, but Levitons have had problems. I replaced the Leviton my electrician installed with a Bryant myself.
There are many advantages to wall connector, too many to list besides max charging. Cost is almost the same when you factor in a plug needs expensive GFCI breaker and you need to make sure you get one that doesn’t false trip. Labor and wire dominate the cost. Not the connector.

A wall charger was not an option for me. My garage (A barn actually) is about 70 feet from my house. It has a whopping 15 amp service. The line from the house to the barn is underground and dates to before WW2. Upgrading the power in the barn would cost at least several thousand dollars (not counting the repairs to the lawn). So I use my mobile connector and a 14-50 Nema connection. I paid an electrician to install the exterior 240 volt plug. The plug, the 14-50 Nema and the mobile connector sit inside a locked metal box, bolted to the exterior of the house. Yes, I do have to unlock the box to charge the car - no big deal. Total cost (box, lock, 240 volt line installation) $325. This was the best and cheapest option for me. There are no hard set rules about these things.
Bet you he didn’t install a GFCI at that price. For outdoor use, I would DEFINITELY go with wall connector. No comparison.

And why wasn’t a wall connector an option again?

Cheapest in the short run is not always the best choice.

Reactions: SO16
The Wall Connector makes a bit less sense for a RWD, but sounds like it comes with the advantage of physical security and arguably reliability (especially if removing a Mobile Connector daily).

A 14-50 is definitely more versatile from a resale perspective, though. And securing / masking a semi-permanent mobile connector couldn’t be that difficult if you were worried.

There are many advantages to wall connector, too many to list besides max charging. Cost is almost the same when you factor in a plug needs expensive GFCI breaker and you need to make sure you get one that doesn’t false trip. Labor and wire dominate the cost. Not the connector.
Wall connector - $425
Mobile connector - $220

Plus the mobile connector can go with you on a trip. The mobile connector has enabled me to go places more off the beaten track than I would have been able to go without it. If you take trips with your car, and get away from the interstates, you'll have to buy a mobile connector as well as a wall connector.

I assume that you're setting the max charge rate via the car to 12 amps, since otherwise the mobile connector would try to draw 32 amps from the wall.

The Wall Connector makes a bit less sense for a RWD, but sounds like it comes with the advantage of physical security and arguably reliability (especially if removing a Mobile Connector daily).

A 14-50 is definitely more versatile from a resale perspective, though. And securing / masking a semi-permanent mobile connector couldn’t be that difficult if you were worried.
I charge my Volt with my Wall Connector. Just need an adapter.

A Wall Connector has way more “bling” when selling a home. Most buyers have no clue. Most EV owners will be Tesla owners. And any other EV owner will know swapping to another connector is peanuts and it’s having the circuit that matters.

A 14-50 outlet might even go unnoticed. A wall connector won’t be missed.

Wall connector wins hands down.

Bet you he didn’t install a GFCI at that price. For outdoor use, I would DEFINITELY go with wall connector. No comparison.

And why wasn’t a wall connector an option again?

Cheapest in the short run is not always the best choice.
For outdoor use, a 14-50 socket in an appropriate box is a more proven solution than a Tesla wall connector. That is exactly what they have been using in RV parks for decades where people plug and unplug from them regularly, daily in many cases, and where they're exposed to all extremes of weather.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Wall connector - $425
Mobile connector - $220

Plus the mobile connector can go with you on a trip. The mobile connector has enabled me to go places more off the beaten track than I would have been able to go without it. If you take trips with your car, and get away from the interstates, you'll have to buy a mobile connector as well as a wall connector.
Agreed. And add $100+ for the mobile connector price for GFCI breaker. And add $45 for 14-50 adapter. So it’s $50 difference.

Last edited:
I charge my Volt with my Wall Connector. Just need an adapter.

A Wall Connector has way more “bling” when selling a home. Most buyers have no clue. Most EV owners will be Tesla owners. And any other EV owner will know swapping to another connector is peanuts and it’s having the circuit that matters.

A 14-50 outlet might even go unnoticed. A wall connector won’t be missed.

Wall connector wins hands down.
I definitely know more people plugging in RVs and Welders than EVs, but I see your points.

Agreed. And add $100+ for the mobile connector price for GFCI breaker. So it’s $100 difference.
Unless you want a mobile connector too for trips. Then it's a $320 difference.

For those who have an RV or like to weld, a 14-50 socket is a definitely plus. I think there are more people who fall into those two groups than folks who own Teslas, although I could see that changing over time.

For outdoor use, a 14-50 socket in an appropriate box is a more proven solution than a Tesla wall connector. That is exactly what they have been using in RV parks for decades where people plug and unplug from them regularly, daily in many cases, and where they're exposed to all extremes of weather.
A wall connector in a box (if you so choose) is even better.

Gasoline cars have been a proven solution to transportation. What did you go with there?

Why do you think Tesla dropped the 14-50 adapter. Then dropped the mobile connector. They are old school. It’s not to make $100 more. It’s because they are a much better solution. Less problems. Less melt downs. It’s a no brainer today especially where you now get credit towards the wall connector.

No GFCi, much better weather proof, wider range of charging, easier / cheaper to adjust, can be paired with more connectors, Wi-Fi access.

I definitely know more people plugging in RVs and Welders than EVs, but I see your points.
Valid point. If you think 14-50 is a bigger seller than swap a 14-50 in when you list it and take your wall connector with you.

I know several folks with EV’s. None with a welder or RV. I recently sold a house with a wall connector and buyer explicitly called out that wall connector be included. He owned the same Model X.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColoradoMike