Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me Decide: New Wall Charger or 14-50 Receptacle + Mobile charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A wall connector in a box (if you so choose) is even better.

Gasoline cars have been a proven solution to transportation. What did you go with there?

Why do you think Tesla dropped the 14-50 adapter. Then dropped the mobile connector. They are old school. It’s not to make $100 more. It’s because they are a much better solution. Less problems. Less melt downs. It’s a no brainer today especially where you now get credit towards the wall connector.

No GFCi, much better weather proof, wider range of charging, easier / cheaper to adjust, can be paired with more connectors, Wi-Fi access.
A wall connector in a box being better is your opinion with nothing to back it up and is not a proven solution. Does Tesla even recommend such an installation? Putting an electrical device in a box can sometimes cause issues, typically with overheating.

Tesla hasn't dropped the 14-50 adapter or the mobile connector. They are not old school; they are just a different way to charge your Tesla.

I have no idea why you think a wall connector is "easier / cheaper to adjust, can be paired with more connectors". That is simply not true. As for Wi-Fi access, why is that necessary or helpful with a Tesla? The car will tell you what it's doing charging wise. The fact that a mobile connector should have a GFCI breaker versus a regular breaker for a wall connector is the only valid point you're making here.

There are many advantages to wall connector, too many to list besides max charging. Cost is almost the same when you factor in a plug needs expensive GFCI breaker and you need to make sure you get one that doesn’t false trip. Labor and wire dominate the cost. Not the connector.
Actually, my 240V 30A connection for charging with my mobile cord cost me approx. $27. Everyone's situation is different, so I'm not saying everyone else can do the same... but I park in a detached building, let's call it a barn. I already had a 240V 30A circuit there to backfeed my electrical system with a portable generator during power outages, which happen a lot here. I just bought the appropriate receptacle and a little junction box, and wired it into that circuit. The mobile cord came with my Tesla. Been using that going on 5 years now, it charges at about a 20-22 mph rate. Incidentally, that circuit won't be getting used for the generator much longer.... got a Solar Roof and Powerwalls installed recently, heading toward production soon I hope...

The mobile connector also has a big advantage in that it's easy to take with you when you go on a trip. You can charge up at EV parks with electrical connections or at family's or friend's house when you visit.
It’s even easier to just leave the mobile connector in the car. That’s why they call it “mobile”. You don’t even have to remember it or think about it.

That said, I always have a mobile connector with me. I have not used it in 4 years. I always plan as such I don’t need to borrow kWh from friends and family. The only friend I could plug in easily has a wall connector. And stopping at an RV park to charge is just to slow.

But I do like having it always with me in case of emergency. Right next to the tire plug kit and jack.

1st things 1st: Yes, I searched the for this topic before posting. I only found 1 in the Model Y section.

So, Should I go with the Full Monty wall charger for my Std Range Model 3 or for the basic 14-50 receptacle install? The panel is in my driveway furthe back and I'd want to put the connetion point (wall or receptical form pipe in the ground) closer up near the front for ease of access (24 or 20 foot cable). There's no incentives for eithe since my utility, LADWP, doesn't include the Tesla wall charger in it's list of authorized units. They say they can't connect to it to monitor it.

So, I read that the mobile charger supplies 32a only but I also read the std range RWD can only take 32a. All that considered, I'm leaning toward the receptacle.
Personally, I find no advantage to faster home charging. I just charge while I'm sleeping, and there are few possible scenarios in which that isn't more than sufficient. Never had one occur yet. Before you get the car, you think of all the possibilities - I bought a J1722 connector, the multi-pack of adapters, etc.... and never use anything but the mobile cord that came with it at home with one 30A adapter, and Tesla chargers away from home.
Once my Solar Roof gets PTO, that may change. I'll likely want to switch to daytime charging. But since I'm retired I've got no morning commute, so that shouldn't create a schedule problem.

Valid point. If you think 14-50 is a bigger seller than swap a 14-50 in when you list it and take your wall connector with you.

I know several folks with EV’s. None with a welder or RV. I recently sold a house with a wall connector and buyer explicitly called out that wall connector be included. He owned the same Model X.
So you just increased the cost of selling your old home by $425. While having a high amperage 240 volt circuit in the garage to charge EVs is a plus, and becoming more of a plus, having a 60 versus 50 amp circuit won't make much difference to buyers. What will probably make a difference in the future is having a 100 amp circuit for EV charging. For a Ford Lighting, Hummer EV, probably for the new Cybertruck, and other vehicles with larger batteries, being able to charge at up to 80 amps can make a significant difference.

A wall connector in a box being better is your opinion with nothing to back it up and is not a proven solution. Does Tesla even recommend such an installation? Putting an electrical device in a box can sometimes cause issues, typically with overheating.

Tesla hasn't dropped the 14-50 adapter or the mobile connector. They are not old school; they are just a different way to charge your Tesla.

I have no idea why you think a wall connector is "easier / cheaper to adjust, can be paired with more connectors". That is simply not true. As for Wi-Fi access, why is that necessary or helpful with a Tesla? The car will tell you what it's doing charging wise. The fact that a mobile connector should have a GFCI breaker versus a regular breaker for a wall connector is the only valid point you're making here.
Tesla dropped including 14-50 with new cars a while ago.

You obviously don’t know much about wall connectors. To change amperage you just turn a dial. On mobile you have to buy another adapter.

Let’s say you add more load to you panel. And want to turn down wall connector. Just dial it down. Or you get a new panel and want to up grade. Just turn it up. Get second Tesla just pair another to the same circuit.

Wall connectors or mobile connectors don’t generate heat (just a tiny bit). That’s why they are call “connectors”. There is no inverter in them. Wall connector and mobile have exact same operating temp specs. But I’d trust a wall connecter over mobile any day.

Besides, Where is it specified a mobile connector can go in a box?

Your just making stuff up.

Last edited:
So you just increased the cost of selling your old home by $425. While having a high amperage 240 volt circuit in the garage to charge EVs is a plus, and becoming more of a plus, having a 60 versus 50 amp circuit won't make much difference to buyers. What will probably make a difference in the future is having a 100 amp circuit for EV charging. For a Ford Lighting, Hummer EV, probably for the new Cybertruck, and other vehicles with larger batteries, being able to charge at up to 80 amps can make a significant difference.
Ooh wow, that will break the bank. I wouldn’t waste the time myself.

You do still have the wall connector for your next home.

And what plug do you use for your 100A lightning?

To take a wall connector out and 14-50 in would cost $25 for me and probably $200 for an honest electrician (a rare find).

I think a Wall Connector would statistically have the most bling in most areas. We can agree to disagree there.

Tesla dropped including 14-50 with new cars a while ago.

You obviously don’t know much about wall connectors. To change amperage you just turn a dial. On mobile you have to buy another adapter.

Let’s say you add more load to you panel. And want to turn down wall connector. Just dial it down. Or you get a new panel and want to up grade. Just turn it up. Get second Tesla just pair another to the same circuit.

Wall connectors or mobile connectors don’t generate heat (just a tiny bit). That’s why they are call “connectors”. There is no inverter in them. I guarantee a wall connector has a much wider operating range than a mobile connector.

Besides, Where is it specified a mobile connector can go in a box?

Your just making stuff up.
Tesla dropped the mobile connector and the 14-50 adapter to save money and because more and more buyers already had charging options. It had nothing to do with either being obsolete as you stated.

For a 100 amp circuit, it has to be direct wired, no outlet. Having the 100 amp circuit available is the issue. It will often require and service upgrade and a new breaker panel to handle the additional load which can add significant cost to installation.

So, you pull off the faceplate, change the dial, and put the faceplate back on with a wall connector. Actually, with the new wall connectors, I thought this could be set with the Wi-Fi connection. With a mobile connector, you unplug one $35 adapter and plug in another one, which you'll probably never do. In any case, both are pretty simple and not a valid argument for one versus the other for something that is done so infrequently.

You state that, "I guarantee a wall connector has a much wider operating range than a mobile connector." Please provide your proof to backup this statement.

With a wall connector, the unit is fixed in place. If you have a box, it will stay in the box. A mobile connector plugs into a socket in a box; it doesn't have to stay in the box while being used.

The only person making stuff up here is you. I've stuck with facts while you're tossing out your opinions out like they're facts. Sorry, but they're not.

Last edited:
Tesla dropped the mobile connector and the 14-50 adapter to save money and because more and more buyers already had charging options. It had nothing to do with either being obsolete as you stated.

So, you pull off the faceplate, change the dial, and put the faceplate back on with a wall connector. Actually, with the new wall connectors, I thought this could be set with the Wi-Fi connection. With a mobile connector, you unplug one $35 adapter and plug in another one, which you'll probably never do. In any case, both are pretty simple and not a valid argument for one versus the other for something that is done so infrequently.

You state that, "I guarantee a wall connector has a much wider operating range than a mobile connector." Please provide your proof to backup this statement.

With a wall connector, the unit is fixed in place. If you have a box, it will stay in the box. A mobile connector plugs into a socket in a box; it doesn't have to stay in the box while being used.

The only person making stuff up here is you. I've stuck with facts while you're tossing out your opinions out like they're facts. Sorry, but they're not.
Operating specs are identical.

Gotta get work done. So blocking. See ya.

Operating specs are identical.

Gotta get work done. So blocking. See ya.
Thanks for acknowledging that you were incorrect when you stated that, "I guarantee a wall connector has a much wider operating range than a mobile connector." Also, I wasn't sure, so I looked it up. Tesla shows that both the mobile and wall connectors don't require ventilation, so I assume that it would be okay to put either in a box.

I just want to make sure that people have accurate information so that they can make informed choices.

Why should I set the max charge rate to 12 amps. The 240 volt line is a dedicated line off of it's own 100 amp circuit breaker. I have been charging at 32 amps since I had it installed. There have been no problems
You said that, "It has a whopping 15 amp service." which gave me the impression that that was all the circuit could handle, so 14 gauge wiring, 15 amp circuit breaker, etc. If everything on the circuit is rated for 100 amps or even 50 amps, that's an entirely different story.

1st things 1st: Yes, I searched the for this topic before posting. I only found 1 in the Model Y section.

So, Should I go with the Full Monty wall charger for my Std Range Model 3 or for the basic 14-50 receptacle install? The panel is in my driveway furthe back and I'd want to put the connetion point (wall or receptical form pipe in the ground) closer up near the front for ease of access (24 or 20 foot cable). There's no incentives for eithe since my utility, LADWP, doesn't include the Tesla wall charger in it's list of authorized units. They say they can't connect to it to monitor it.

So, I read that the mobile charger supplies 32a only but I also read the std range RWD can only take 32a. All that considered, I'm leaning toward the receptacle.
I vote wall connector, easy to install if panel in the garage. Waterproof, has built in safety.

I got my M3LR in December and at the time ordered both a mobile connector and a wall connector because I wasn't sure which one I wanted. In the end, decided to wire the garage with 14-50 and just use the mobile connector, and returned the wall connector. It works fine, and feels more future proof if I want to get a non-Tesla at some point, or use a power tool in the garage. I live in Indiana and certainly a 14-50 in the garage is going to be more generally useful than a Tesla-specific wall connector. Plus, as far as bringing out an electrician, it was a lot more straightforward and cheaper (no "Tesla tax") to just ask them to put a 14-50 on its own circuit right there ->.

We just got 2 Model 3 RWD. I got two wall chargers and 2 mobile chargers. I returned the wall chargers as I did not see any benefit over the mobile charger. Mobile charger is the best route for us as we charge in our garage. RWD can only max out at 32a anyways, and the 50-14 plug is more appealing to the smarter buyer when trying to sell the house later down the road.

You said that, "It has a whopping 15 amp service." which gave me the impression that that was all the circuit could handle, so 14 gauge wiring, 15 amp circuit breaker, etc. If everything on the circuit is rated for 100 amps or even 50 amps, that's an entirely different story.
OK, further details. The barn dates to 1906. It does not have circuit breakers. It has an original equipment fuse box with room for 1 - yes, just one - old fashioned 15 amp glass fuse. To upgrade electrical service in the barn requires a trench to be dug across at least 75 feet of lawn in order to upgrade the wiring that leads to the barn. Then, a new circuit box needs to be installed in the barn. It's just not worth it, hence the use of a 240 volt outlet all-weather on the side of my house and a 14-50 Nema connector into which I plug my mobile connector and charge the car at 32 amps, getting 29 miles of range per hour. More than enough for my needs. If I want to charge the car on the existing 15 amp service in the barn I will get about 2 miles range per hour. Not enough for my needs.

In our two years with Teslas we've been happy with our mobile connector. Plus, we take it with us when we visit our daughter 1,500 miles away.

20221028_165319.jpg
20200217_100137.jpg

OK, further details. The barn dates to 1906. It does not have circuit breakers. It has an original equipment fuse box with room for 1 - yes, just one - old fashioned 15 amp glass fuse. To upgrade electrical service in the barn requires a trench to be dug across at least 75 feet of lawn in order to upgrade the wiring that leads to the barn. Then, a new circuit box needs to be installed in the barn. It's just not worth it, hence the use of a 240 volt outlet all-weather on the side of my house and a 14-50 Nema connector into which I plug my mobile connector and charge the car at 32 amps, getting 29 miles of range per hour. More than enough for my needs. If I want to charge the car on the existing 15 amp service in the barn I will get about 2 miles range per hour. Not enough for my needs.
👍