Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide on all season 19", 20" or Ubers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my new MYP but HATE that it ships to regions with snow on monster 21" STAGGERED wheels with summer tires. Anyway, I need to get all seasons. I considered TSportline TS5s in 19" with contis, then figured why not go 20" because I like the look and that still adds some sidewall over the Ubers. Now I'm wondering if I say screw it and just put Mich AS4s on the Ubers and rock them year round. I think that would save me at least 2k on the wheels and the hassle of selling the Ubers. Would the ride really be that much worse? I do like the idea of keeping the car whole.

Anyway hit me with whatever points you can come up with or other options. I really can't decide.

Get snow tires, not all season. Seriously - much better and safer ride.
I would love to but I am low on storage space so my plan is to ultimately just have one set. I am in NJ so while I drive in the snow it is seldom over a few inches on a well plowed road. I take the occasional ski trip to Vermont and have been caught in 8-12" of snow on max perf summers and it was the most terrifying white-knuckle 6 hour drive home. Never again.

19" wheels should theoretically survive pot holes better than 20" or 21" wheels with lower profile tires. If you can wait for the Michelin AS4 tires then use this winter as a test. If the AS4 tires perform then you won't have to purchase new wheels. If you end up buying a set of 19" or 20" wheels then there are more choices in all season tires. At the top of the list of all-season tires for 19" and 20" wheels should be the Vredestein Quatrac Pro and the Continental Extreme Contact DW06.

Reactions: Koolio46
I went w the Michlien All season on the 21’s. I paid $1792 w install on LI. They look great, handle great, noise is the same as the summer tires, and supposedly they handle really well in the winter. I almost pulled the trigger on 19’s or 20’s but thought I would roll w the 21’s for at least a year. Also saved 2k w this choice.

The ride has also definitely improved a bit. That’s coming from my wife, who commented that the ride seems less bumpy w the new tires.

19" wheels should theoretically survive pot holes better than 20" or 21" wheels with lower profile tires. If you can wait for the Michelin AS4 tires then use this winter as a test. If the AS4 tires perform then you won't have to purchase new wheels. If you end up buying a set of 19" or 20" wheels then there are more choices in all season tires. At the top of the list of all-season tires for 19" and 20" wheels should be the Vredestein Quatrac Pro and the Continental Extreme Contact DW06.
I’m trying to decide which AS ties to replace the Goodyear Take F1 (20”) tires when they’re done (have about 10k miles on them and they don’t look like they’ll last past 15k miles). Live in Boston so will see snow.

I’m currently debating between Vredestein Quatrac Pros or Michelin Pilot AS 4.

I can’t speak for winter driving but we just put the Michelin PAS4 on my wife’s car and they are excellent. Predictable traction, quiet, and looks good. They are rated better than some winter tires.

I’ll update thread about how they handle the rain in the upcoming months.

I can say the 19” continental are easy to break loose and get the car sideways kicking in traction control on highway on ramps.

Your in NJ so you need dedicated snow tires FTW!!
How do I know?? I’m in Jersey too!!
I only use Blizzak tires FTMFW!!
Buy a dedicated set and find room under your bed if you have to.

I can’t speak for winter driving but we just put the Michelin PAS4 on my wife’s car and they are excellent. Predictable traction, quiet, and looks good. They are rated better than some winter tires.

I’ll update thread about how they handle the rain in the upcoming months.

I can say the 19” continental are easy to break loose and get the car sideways kicking in traction control on highway on ramps.
You made a big mistake not buying Blizzak tires!!

I went w the Michlien All season on the 21’s. I paid $1792 w install on LI. They look great, handle great, noise is the same as the summer tires, and supposedly they handle really well in the winter. I almost pulled the trigger on 19’s or 20’s but thought I would roll w the 21’s for at least a year. Also saved 2k w this choice.

The ride has also definitely improved a bit. That’s coming from my wife, who commented that the ride seems less bumpy w the new tires.
BIGGEST mistake by far!!!

Your in NJ so you need dedicated snow tires FTW!!
How do I know?? I’m in Jersey too!!
I only use Blizzak tires FTMFW!!
Buy a dedicated set and find room under your bed if you have to.
Been driving in NY for 35 years, have owned dozens of cars and have never had a snow tire. The roads are actually covered in snow 2-3 days a year, and all seasons handle that just fine.

Reactions: Noflash

I was under the impression neither michelin or any other tire manufacturer produced all season tire that fit MYP. Can you elaborate on the tires you purchased?

Here is my white MYP with Satin Grey 19" T Sportline for your review. Just used them in a snowstorm in the mountains and worked out. I switched for additional traction and ride comfort.