Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide on Model 3 or S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Chasedrgc1223

Nearly Insane
Apr 8, 2015
NJ
I had a 2015 85D I traded up to a new 100D in September of 2017. Last month, my 100D was involved in an accident on the highway and has been totalled. Well, today I have come to find out my insurance company is only giving me $77,000 instead of the full value. I'm not in the position to put out another $30k, as I was intending on purchasing a Model 3 for my son. That may not happen though, because I need a car ASAP and do not want to go to the 75D because of lower range. I need the range for my commute, and with 315 miles the Model 3 is enough. I already have my invitation to configure, but I have been holding out until a dual motor/performance version. Should I get a RWD now or wait for dual motor?

I think the Model 3 is a great commuter car. We've also taken it to Arizona a couple of times for longer trips.

As far as dual motor, we definitely don't need it here in southern CA, but you may feel differently based on winter driving. To my knowledge, tires make a bigger difference there (but I lack experience with that).

I say go with the 3!

If you have 4 seasons where you live then the dual motor is awesome. Having experienced my first winter with my car this past winter, I can say I'm glad that AWD/DM is standard on the Model S.

I almost feel that a ludicrous Model 3 would be close to $80K, so you pretty much have the money to go that route. If in fact the previous sentence becomes true, I would absolutely get the performance Model 3. Tough choice considering you need a car soon mixed with even more Model 3 delays.

I had a 2015 85D I traded up to a new 100D in September of 2017. Last month, my 100D was involved in an accident on the highway and has been totalled. Well, today I have come to find out my insurance company is only giving me $77,000 instead of the full value. I'm not in the position to put out another $30k, as I was intending on purchasing a Model 3 for my son. That may not happen though, because I need a car ASAP and do not want to go to the 75D because of lower range. I need the range for my commute, and with 315 miles the Model 3 is enough. I already have my invitation to configure, but I have been holding out until a dual motor/performance version. Should I get a RWD now or wait for dual motor?

I don't think you need to accept the insurance company offer if it is below the value of the insured car at the time of the loss. I am not an expert, I suggest you seek someone who is. You should also dig out your policy and wade through all the fine print. If you accept and cash the check it's probably a done deal.

Should I get a RWD now or wait for dual motor?

Range is only one factor in this decision. A 3 LR has comparable range to an S 100D. And if all you want is range, you can save $$$ by going with a 3 vs. an S.

The S will have faster acceleration, though for most drivers the difference probably isn't significant enough to be a factor.

The S has more storage area with the rear hatchback vs. the trunk in the 3.

We have a 2012 S P85 (RWD) and a 2017 S 100D, and for typical driving conditions, the difference in handling between the two cars really isn't noticeable. At least in the S, the dual motor configuration uses slightly less energy at highway speeds; if that's true, a 3 LR D could have more range than an S 100D.

Another factor to consider is the $7500 tax credit. Since Tesla hasn't said anything about this, it's likely they haven't hit the 200K trigger yet. Though it seems likely that could happen sometime this quarter. And if it does, the full $7500 credit will be available only through the end of September. If you order an S or 3 LR today, you should get it before October - and get the full $7500 credit.

However, if you decide to hold out and wait for an 3 LR D, since there could be many others also waiting for that configuration, it's possible your delivery date could be pushed out to October - and you'd lose half of the EV tax credit.

For us, we've been able to configure for 2 months (which will replace our S P85), and have been waiting for the white interior option. If we can also get dual motor at the same time, we'll order that, even if it means we might risk losing half of the $7500 credit.