Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide ... Red MX: Xpel Ultimate (Clear) or Xpel Stealth (Matte)

Xpel Clear or Stealth

• Clear

Votes: 23 62.2%
  • Stealth

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Flip a coin

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am taking delivery of my new multi-coat red MX this coming Monday afternoon. On Tuesday I am bringing it into the shop for full PPF wrap (and also chrome delete at the same time) - I keep flip-flopping back and forth between clear & matte wrap.

@neofelis was kind enough to share his car with me - he just matte wrapped his multi-coat red Model S with Xpel Stealth (and also chrome delete - just like what I'm gonna do) - it looks pretty awesome. Here is a picture ...
MS Matte & Balckout 2.jpg

I'm having a difficult time because I compare the MS picture to this MX picture ...
MX - Shiny - Chrome Delete - Blk Wheels.jpg

That looks friggin' awesome also! I know I really can't go wrong, but what are your thoughts on matte wrap vs clear wrap?

Please vote (or chime in) and help me decide

First: Mad Congrats on your new MX! I hope you love it as much as I love mine!

Second: I'm SO happy to hear you're getting it wrapped right away! IMO, all MX owners (and S and 3 owners as well, I would imagine) should get the PPF wrap... at a minimum. Adding ceramic coating has been awesome for me, but I know not everyone believes it's worth the moolah. But I rarely have to wash my car any more, and that's a GREAT thing!

Captain Obvious here: Gloss vs Stealth is a very personal decision. There is no right or wrong. That being said....

I felt that stealth red would look too much like a tomato. I went with glossy Xpel. I later found that I was dead wrong with the 'tomato' thing... as proven in your first pic of the MS in stealth. It looks amazing.

However.... My MX looks much like your pic except I tinted the front windows, and have not yet blacked out the trim. Still unsure on that (but probably will because it looks awesome). But every time I walk up to my car - especially when it's sunny - I am SO SO glad I went with glossy! This car looks like a piece of art!

My thought on cars is this: The more painted real estate a car has, the better it looks glossy. The MX is a beefcake of a vehicle, and my feeling is that it looks better glossy. The M3 and, to a lesser extent, the MS, look better (color depending) in stealth. And, if I still had my Audi A6, I would certainly make it stealth. Chudiddy's stealthed S6 looks great!

Trucks are just the opposite. I'm thinking of getting my Chev Silverado Midnight Edition wrapped in stealth. I think that would look BadAss! And most certainly, when Tesla gets me my truck in many years, I will most likely be stealthing it too!

I don't think you can go wrong, however. I'm sure that you'll love the end result regardless of what way you go... just be sure to send pictures!! :D

Second: I'm SO happy to hear you're getting it wrapped right away! IMO, all MX owners (and S and 3 owners as well, I would imagine) should get the PPF wrap... at a minimum. Adding ceramic coating has been awesome for me, but I know not everyone believes it's worth the moolah. But I rarely have to wash my car any more, and that's a GREAT thing!

Captain Obvious here: Gloss vs Stealth is a very personal decision. There is no right or wrong. That being said....

I felt that stealth red would look too much like a tomato. I went with glossy Xpel. I later found that I was dead wrong with the 'tomato' thing... as proven in your first pic of the MS in stealth. It looks amazing.

However.... My MX looks much like your pic except I tinted the front windows, and have not yet blacked out the trim. Still unsure on that (but probably will because it looks awesome). But every time I walk up to my car - especially when it's sunny - I am SO SO glad I went with glossy! This car looks like a piece of art!

My thought on cars is this: The more painted real estate a car has, the better it looks glossy. The MX is a beefcake of a vehicle, and my feeling is that it looks better glossy. The M3 and, to a lesser extent, the MS, look better (color depending) in stealth. And, if I still had my Audi A6, I would certainly make it stealth. Chudiddy's stealthed S6 looks great!

Trucks are just the opposite. I'm thinking of getting my Chev Silverado Midnight Edition wrapped in stealth. I think that would look BadAss! And most certainly, when Tesla gets me my truck in many years, I will most likely be stealthing it too!

I don't think you can go wrong, however. I'm sure that you'll love the end result regardless of what way you go... just be sure to send pictures!! :D
Hey Brian,
Thank you for the well thought out response - I really appreciate it! Let me get your opinion on wheels ... I live in Colorado and prefer to stay with the 20's. That being said, I couldn't pull the trigger for the $2k upcharge for the Sonic wheels. I'm getting the stock silver slipstream wheels & will powder coat them locally for about $500 - with that being said, I can pick any color I like. Debating between the sonic carbon color, matte black and glossy black. I am leaning towards the glossy black because the chrome delete will take all the black to a satin black. I'm thinking the wheels would pop a bit if they were glossy. Thoughts on that one ... ???
I will post pictures for sure when all done ...
Thanks,
Chris

I'm thinking the wheels would pop a bit if they were glossy. Thoughts on that one ... ???

I'm siding with you on that one, Chris. My sonic carbons are glossy, and it looks great with my glossy MX. I don't think it would look as good if they were matte/satin.

However, all the chrome-delete's I've seen have been matte. So if your chrome became matte-black, would you want to stay with that theme for the wheels? Hmmm... tough one. I can't tell if the pic you posted in the orig post of the X has glossy or matte wheels? It kind of seems that it's somewhere in the middle?... if there is such a thing o_O That would be cool!

In my experience, wheels have been notoriously difficult to keep clean. I don't have experience with satin/matte powder coated wheels, but it would seem to be a tad more difficult to keep clean than gloss? Since I like 'ease of cleaning' (hence, my ceramic coating), I would go with the glossy black.

Reactions: Kacey Green

A TOMATO!!! LOL

Reactions: Brian's ReX
Wow! Those are good prices. I paid $8K for the Xpel Stealth and $1.5K for the chrome delete. Pricey but I love it and it gets loads of compliments. The other day I went to an upscale restaurant in Minneapolis and the valet guy just left car on display right in front of the restaurant for 3 hours. I considered that a compliment. :)

Reactions: Kacey Green