Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide: RWD or AWD? $8,000 difference!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I priced out a RWD and AWD with similar options.

RWD: $58,000 out the door incl taxes, fees.

AWD: $66,000 out the door incl. taxes, fees.

AWD costs roughly ~8,000 more.

I drove the AWD on my test drive and thought it was ridiculously FAST - although I loved that, I'd be happy with even 90% of that power :)

So, help me decide guys.... is AWD worth the extra 8 grand?

I live in SoCal - so AWD for traction purposes is no concern at all.

Not sure about MR, but my coworker (also here in SoCal) just ordered a AWD a few days before Halloween, and he is already taking delivery this week. I took delivery of my AWD end of August. I ordered end of June. Another coworker of mine took delivery of his AWD in Sept. He ordered in August. AWD delivery is getting faster and faster here in SoCal. You may get yours next week if you order tomorrow!

Not sure about MR, but my coworker (also here in SoCal) just ordered a AWD a few days before Halloween, and he is already taking delivery this week. I took delivery of my AWD end of August. I ordered end of June. Another coworker of mine took delivery of his AWD in Sept. He ordered in August. AWD delivery is getting faster and faster here in SoCal. You may get yours next week if you order tomorrow!

Man, that is exciting!!

I've been reading that you don't really get 310 miles from the AWD and actual range might not be that much more than RWD - is this accurate?

You currently can choose 2 Dual Motor (AWD) and 1 RWD models:

upload_2018-11-7_17-33-46.png

Dual Motor models are rated at 310 miles which is 50 miles more than RWD model with 260 miles.

As in all advertised ranges, your style of driving dictates how closely you can achieve an advertised range.

If you compare a grandma driving slowly on 260 mile range car VS a young racer who keeps flooring the accelerator on a 310 mile range car then sure you can say that 310 mile range is not much more than the 260 mile range car in this example.

Really it’s up to you. My 0.02 since you asked AWD is not only better in the winter It’s also better in the rain. And overall safer, most insurance companies give a discount for AWD. The trade-offs in general for AWD: more expensive, heavier, they tend to go through tires quicker, and can have torque steer issues when counering and accelerating under full throttle. Again these are not the case in all AWD vehicles just in general. I haven’t had my AWD 3 Long enough to comment on tire life or torque steer.

Personally i haven’t owned a non-AWD vehicle in almost 15 years and I’d be highly unlikely to ever buy a 2wd vehicle again.

Well, six months ago most people couldn't choose AWD, and in those months I've wondered about the benefits. Oh, sure, if you live on a mud road a mile long, or it rains more than twice a year (this is CA, and it might rain tomorrow).

I just got a notice that, for SAFETY, the power company is going to turn off my power because the wind might blow... Really???? The wind blows here at most, 40 mph, and they just realized that. I've lived here 30 years and they never before wanted to or needed to turn off the power. Maybe I need AWD in case the wind blows.

I wanted to call them and ask them what they do in Wyoming, but my wife thought I shouldn't.

I just went back and forth on the same decision. But I was trying to decide between AWD long range or RWD long range. Yes, you can still get a RWD long range, at least in SoCal, and you can get it fast, probably in less than two weeks. They have a bunch in stock, depending on what color you want. Just go into your local sales center and have them look it up. So that's a more fair comparison and the price difference is $4k.

I test drove both of them both back to back today. AWD is definitely quick as expected, but the difference was not as much as I was expecting. The RWD is still plenty quick and you can blow away probably 90% of the cars out there off the line, especially if the other car doesn't launch just right. The place where I notice a bigger difference is in the 50-70MPH acceleration. You could save more money with the mid-range model, but there will be an even bigger gap in acceleration. In the end, I placed an order for an AWD. And as mentioned, I'm also in SoCal, so i'm doing it purely for the performance. Accellerating out of a corner is really fun on the RWD. You can kick it loose even without turning down the traction control. On the AWD, it just keeps pulling hard out of the corner like on rails.
  • AWD is something you can't add later
  • AWD only takes a 25 mile range hit vs. long range RWD see teslike.com/2018/10/19/estimated-range-and-battery-specs-for-tesla-model-3-mid-range/
  • Small chance Tesla in the future will offer to unlock the full potential of the AWD for a fee - AWD and performance AWD are mechanically identical. It's software limited
  • Tire wear will be more even, less tire rotations.
  • The car is about 4000lbs. This is counter to the performance, but heavier is safer, and this will be the car for the wife and kids. Ok, I'm stretching when I list this as a plus.
  • 0-60 in 4.5. When original P85 came out, its 0-60 was 4.2 and I was drooling over that. This car is almost there for half the price.
  • I always wanted a WRX STI (had the first WRX when it came out). This will outperform that car I never got

Well, six months ago most people couldn't choose AWD, and in those months I've wondered about the benefits. Oh, sure, if you live on a mud road a mile long, or it rains more than twice a year (this is CA, and it might rain tomorrow).

I just got a notice that, for SAFETY, the power company is going to turn off my power because the wind might blow... Really???? The wind blows here at most, 40 mph, and they just realized that. I've lived here 30 years and they never before wanted to or needed to turn off the power. Maybe I need AWD in case the wind blows.

I wanted to call them and ask them what they do in Wyoming, but my wife thought I shouldn't.

Well 30 years ago the power lines weren’t old enough to break off when the wind blows. Now it is and it causes wild fires.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve