Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide which color I should order on my P3D. Go!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get the first color that pops into your head. Otherwise, you will go crazy.

I really really wanted blue, but I like the storm trooper look, so I got white. Plus easier to keep clean, easier to see, so safer, etc. Wife hates black wheels or satin black wheels, so no storm trooper look for me. So I should have got blue.

So get blue if it’s the first color that pops into your head, if not, get blue anyways. Black satin wheels look awesome on blue too. So get those too.

Reactions: Phlier
Get the color you like. Ignore myths or judgments about car colors, for example on red. The color red is not a ticket magnet and numerous studies show that red cars are no more likely to get tickets. What will get you tickets is driving like an a-hole (doing something dramatically different than the rest of the traffic). Red is also not a midlife crisis car. As a point though, like 10-20% of the male population is red-green color blind and might think a red car is pretty ugly.

I only like colors on cars, so really only considered Red or Blue (white-grey-black are not technically colors, although most have a hint). If the blue on the Tesla website was anywhere close in color to the car, I might have bought blue. However, the blue in person is very dark under most lighting conditions (still nice, but not what I wanted). I saw a red car clean, up close, and in person I really liked it. I went red.

Be it white, black, red, blue, whatever, go with the color that makes you smile when you look at it. If you are very attached to a color you will regret not getting that one. Many people honestly don't care what color their car is either in which case it doesn't matter. As far as tint is concerned, it can look good with low contrast (all black for example) or high contrast (white car with black tint). I don't think color will really matter with tint, just keep the theme uniform.

I got MSM because it has some of the good qualities of black (showing the car's lines well, and polishing up nicely for example), with less of the downsides (ie, it stays clean for longer, harder to see clear coat swirls). I got white interior and like how the bright wheels, trim, and interior contrast against the dark exterior. For the P car, the red calipers pop just enough and are noticeable since the rest of the car is monotone.

In my area (TX), white and red are the most common colors I see. Red on black was a very very close second for me. Still second guess myself sometimes.

I like all the colors. The only combos I personally somewhat dislike are red on white (appears feminine) and blue on white for the performance (the red calipers on blue and white is a little too much, imho).

All colors look great. I just love blue and went that way. In my mind it fits the full electric theme and a car like this should stand out.
20190825_162623.jpg
20190825_162655.jpg
20190825_162632.jpg

black is:
* most common
* not multicoat
* most difficult to keep clean, and prone to showing swirls

therefore, any color except black. white interior also complements the colored ones (blue, red) very nicely. i went with msm as it blends with the aero wheels. wish yellow was available tho

Blue is purple (some lights)
Red is wine red (some lights)
Midnight Silver is Dolphin Blue (some lights)
White is sparkly old-person white
Black is black. Always.

Black.

Also, don’t get black because it’s a PITA to keep looking good.

So your answer was black. And now it’s not. No color. Don’t get a color.

I agree with this!! I have black because the wife likes black...dirty always...but when clean...amazing.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
Get the first color that pops into your head. Otherwise, you will go crazy.

I really really wanted blue, but I like the storm trooper look, so I got white. Plus easier to keep clean, easier to see, so safer, etc. Wife hates black wheels or satin black wheels, so no storm trooper look for me. So I should have got blue.

So get blue if it’s the first color that pops into your head, if not, get blue anyways. Black satin wheels look awesome on blue too. So get those too.

... and play this as you drive off

This is an extremely personal choice. It's kind of like asking, "what do you think I should have for dinner?" I wouldn't overthink it. Just look at some pics of the M3 in different colors and go with your gut feeling about which color is right for you.

If you are planning on getting a very dark tint, I personally think white goes best just for the contrast. The dark windows really pop against the white paint.

If you really like black and you don't mind washing your car 1-2 times pe week, then go for it. It will show swirls and scratches the most, but if you don't mind that...again go for it. You can also consider paint protection options such as PPF and ceramic coating to keep those to a minimum. A black car that has a proper paint correction done, then has PPF and ceramic should be swirl free for years.

I personally chose Blue with the white interior. I got my windows tinted with a 55% ceramic tint. I did not want to hide the white interior.

• Love
Reactions: Kleenerth3