Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide which one to sell - Old Model S or New Model Y?

Should I keep the Model S or Model Y or neither? Or sell them both? Keeping both is not a choice

• Sell Model S

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Sell Model Y and make some profit

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Sell both.

Votes: 14 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In California, the buyer pays the sales tax “use fee” that you lamented about when selling your S. I think it is around 7% but can vary by region.
I too had to pay sales tax. Look at it this way. I buy something for $100. I pay $9.5 in sales tax. Now I turn around and want to sell it. I can't sell it for 109.5 because the buyer from me also needs to pay 9.5% sales tax. And now that the car is "used", I have to sell it for less than 100 so let's say I sell it for 90$. The new buyer pays 9.5% of 90 (approx 9$ in sales tax too). So even though I sold it only for 10$ less, I lost 19.5$ in that transaction and CA got paid 9.5 and 9.0 = 18.5$ is sales tax.

Basically I lost the 9.5$ I paid in sales because I barely used the car. In rest of the world, they use Value Added Tax (VAT) and because I didn't add any value when I sold my car, the new buyer won't pay any tax so I could technically sell my car for 105 even though he can buy from Tesla for 100 (and then pay 9.5 in VAT - so it is still cheaper for him to buy it for 105 from me).

I too had to pay sales tax. Look at it this way. I buy something for $100. I pay $9.5 in sales tax. Now I turn around and want to sell it. I can't sell it for 109.5 because the buyer from me also needs to pay 9.5% sales tax. And now that the car is "used", I have to sell it for less than 100 so let's say I sell it for 90$. The new buyer pays 9.5% of 90 (approx 9$ in sales tax too). So even though I sold it only for 10$ less, I lost 19.5$ in that transaction and CA got paid 9.5 and 9.0 = 18.5$ is sales tax.

Basically I lost the 9.5$ I paid in sales because I barely used the car. In rest of the world, they use Value Added Tax (VAT) and because I didn't add any value when I sold my car, the new buyer won't pay any tax so I could technically sell my car for 105 even though he can buy from Tesla for 100 (and then pay 9.5 in VAT - so it is still cheaper for him to buy it for 105 from me).
gotta love Big Government. The Mafia wishes they had that pull.

Meanwhile, people in CA continue to believe they're paying a 'sales tax' at registration.
It's a Usury Tax - specifically for the the Use of the highways and byways of the State of CA.
I know this from specific, personal experience (documented in another thread), in which I petitioned for and received a refund in full (many months later).

So when Sacramento starts whining about EV's needing to 'pay their fair share' to compensate for not paying gasoline taxes, please beg to differ.
You paid that fee when you registered the vehicle. Thank You Very Much.

Bumping up this thread, as I am in a somewhat similar situation. I have no car but sold my older 3 and Y for profit. Now, I have no car. I have a MYP on order based on December 2021 pricing, so I'm at 72K OTD all taxes and fees in Los Angeles. I can take delivery anytime. My account is on hold.

I test drove a 2017 Model Y, and it was so plush and comfy, and felt high-end. I found a couple of good deals in Los Angeles for 100Ds at 65K to 68K OTD.

I am going bananas as to the decision. Everyone around me, friends and family, are stressed out too, lol.

Any thoughts?

Bumping up this thread, as I am in a somewhat similar situation. I have no car but sold my older 3 and Y for profit. Now, I have no car. I have a MYP on order based on December 2021 pricing, so I'm at 72K OTD all taxes and fees in Los Angeles. I can take delivery anytime. My account is on hold.

I test drove a 2017 Model Y, and it was so plush and comfy, and felt high-end. I found a couple of good deals in Los Angeles for 100Ds at 65K to 68K OTD.

I am going bananas as to the decision. Everyone around me, friends and family, are stressed out too, lol.

Any thoughts?
You surely meant Model X that you test drove. I wouldn’t buy such an old X bc if something goes bad it will cost you a lot of money. I bet basic warranty is gone and battery warranty remain two/three years. Range and supercharger speeds also won’t be that great. If none of that bothers you go for it. I had 16 model S that I bought used from Tesla and I used 1 year limited warranty at least 5 times. Sold it as soon as warranty expired.

You surely meant Model X that you test drove. I wouldn’t buy such an old X bc if something goes bad it will cost you a lot of money. I bet basic warranty is gone and battery warranty remain two/three years. Range and supercharger speeds also won’t be that great. If none of that bothers you go for it. I had 16 model S that I bought used from Tesla and I used 1 year limited warranty at least 5 times. Sold it as soon as warranty expired.
It was an S for sure. 2017 Model S 100D. Yes, most of the ones I've looked at already have an expired warranty or have a few months left. Of course, most have a few years left on battery and drive train warranties.

Reactions: WhiteWi
It was an S for sure. 2017 Model S 100D. Yes, most of the ones I've looked at already have an expired warranty or have a few months left. Of course, most have a few years left on battery and drive train warranties.
You wrote: “I test drove 2017 model Y”. That is why I thought you meant X. Getting a new model y would be better deal. Range, charging speeds and infotainment system speed.