Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Me Decide Which Plaid!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I know the “better” deal but want to double check my own logic! Would love some feedback here

Vehicle 1 - $111,500
2021 Model S Plaid
19,000 miles
21” Wheels
MSM and Black
No FSD
Full Car PPF
Car is local to me.

Vehicle 2 - $114,000
2021 Model S Plaid
13,000 Miles
21” Wheels
Black and Black
FSD
No PPF
Car is 6 hours from me.

Pros and cons. At face value I’d take car two. Probably. But black paint is a nightmare (especially this solid/non-metallic black - had that on my Model 3 - never again). Then again I don’t like midnight silver, I mean - dolphin blue, either. So throw my opinion on color right out the window.

FSD value is still… questionable, though some EAP features are useful today and if you intend to keep the car a good while it’s maybe worth it for that alone. Are they on the original tires? That’s another big factor. PPF, schmeepee-eff. It’s not a museum piece. That part is worth $0 to me. I’d take FSD over PPF. PPF warranty work isn’t much use if you’re that far away, probably.

Bottom line, car two. Probably. Car one has 50% more miles on it, too. If it’s as described before you make the trek to get it, car number two!

My last car was black. Everyone says you get it once and never again. I completely disagree. Correct the paint when you get the car, do your paint protection of choice (personally recommend ppf at least on front) and use appropriate maintenance wash technique and your black paint will look great.

Of the two, I'd likely go car one but I would have to inspect in person. 13k miles on black may have many rock chips in the paint which would drive me crazy.

One thing to note, all PPF isn't equal. Just because it has PPF doesn't mean it was installed well,

Mostly agree with WilliamG.
Car two is set up for the future with FSD. Jury's still out on real value, but perceived?
I'd almost decide on mileage alone.
Six hours to get the right car is nothing.
Black is awesome, but like every other color, looks best when clean.
Good luck and let us know.

Reactions: WilliamG
I put immense value in PPF. Full car PPF is $5-6k and basically enables you to go a brush car wash or whatever car wash as often as you like. That alone is worth it to me, as my car will remain clean for longer and more often. Anything related to correcting factory paint is expensive and full car PPF if it was done right means factory paint is guaranteed to be in great shape for years without needing a lot of upkeep.

FSD is a bit of a joke. The stress involved in confirming its actions is harder than just driving. If it actually "fully" self drove it would be more useful instead of being an annoying nanny.

Last edited:
I put immense value in PPF. Full car PPF is $5-6k and basically enables you to go a brush car wash or whatever car wash as often as you like. That alone is worth it to me, as my car will remain clean for longer and more often. Anything related to correcting factory paint is expensive and full car PPF if it was done right means factory paint is guaranteed to be in great shape for years without needing a lot of upkeep.

FSD is a bit of a joke. The stress involved in confirming its actions is harder than just driving. If it actually "fully" self drove it would be more useful instead of being an annoying nanny.
I totally agree. Ive been lucky enough to have full PPF on a previous vehicle as well. Not having to do a 2 bucket wash is very convenient.

I'd go with #2, lower mileage and FSD. Not a huge black car fan myself but you could always get it wrapped any color.
Wraps work best on black cars (IMO) anyway.

Really only downside is any damage that may have been done in 13,000 miles without any PPF but if you get solid paint correction done, the majority will clean up and again, Id wrap it so Id be stopping any future damage in its tracks.