Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me diagnose my GPS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Gigaron

San Bruno
Supporting Member
Jan 17, 2019
San Francisco
My GPS is completely lost, putting me on random streets. Even with autopilot off the car will attempt to come to a complete stop on the highway when it believes there should be a stop sign even if it doesn’t see it.

Mobile Service late next week but looking for helpful hints.

F64C6FA3-9A37-4D40-B025-DF42759148B8.jpeg888FD64D-3C23-4899-8FB5-3F85E2EDC731.jpeg31603FA1-5738-4893-B855-45A33763F6ED.jpeg

Reactions: Koolio46
My GPS is completely lost, putting me on random streets. Even with autopilot off the car will attempt to come to a complete stop on the highway when it believes there should be a stop sign even if it doesn’t see it.

View attachment 829625View attachment 829626View attachment 829627
Here you go! Let me know if it gets resolved. I have the same issue, taking the car in the service center Aug 2

Attachments

• 663FFBFA-DCB4-49A0-84F0-195B2B0B66D0.png
    663FFBFA-DCB4-49A0-84F0-195B2B0B66D0.png
    365.6 KB · Views: 85

View attachment 829625View attachment 829626View attachment 829627
What was the fix for your gps drift issue?

I’ve had my Y since Sept 2020 and this just started occurring a few weeks ago. Super annoying. Have a service appoint on Aug 18, but the messages I got from the service advisor says it’s due to a bug with the current FSD version (which I doubt).

What was the fix for your gps drift issue?

I’ve had my Y since Sept 2020 and this just started occurring a few weeks ago. Super annoying. Have a service appoint on Aug 18, but the messages I got from the service advisor says it’s due to a bug with the current FSD version (which I doubt).
Not fixed yet. SC has a GPS antenna on order — but their first response was the same. Known software bug.

Have you recently changed tires? A while ago I needed new Michelin PS4S 295/30/21 rears and could not get them. I put on Michelin PS4S 315/30/21 and they fit fine and looked great. Unfortunately I immediately had GPS issues like what you show in your pics. Most of the time I was only off the road by 100 feet or so. Auto opening garage doors stopped working because the car though I was somewhere else. The other problem was that traction control worked poorly and was obvious at the dragstrip. These problems continued for a month and a half until I found some OEM rears and put them on. As soon as I changed tires back to the OEM size the problems stopped.

The 315s were 1/2" larger diameter and that appears to be the problem. It seems that Tesla may be counting tire rotations between GPS checks.

The map shows the car is moving 90 degrees to the direction it is facing at about 100 MPH. I don’t think it’s a tire problem but thanks for the detailed answer.
I didn’t see that. That is crazy. I have never hear of gps saying you are going a different direction (and speed) than your actual direction of travel. Let us know how it gets resolved.

I didn’t see that. That is crazy. I have never hear of gps saying you are going a different direction (and speed) than your actual direction of travel. Let us know how it gets resolved.
Tons of posts across multiple threads (software, hardware, car model). Random answers — FSD team knows and is making a back-end change, bad EMI shielding on the cabin camera, bad GPS antenna, nothing wrong so SC says wait for the next update…

Tons of posts across multiple threads (software, hardware, car model). Random answers — FSD team knows and is making a back-end change, bad EMI shielding on the cabin camera, bad GPS antenna, nothing wrong so SC says wait for the next update…
It would be nice if the mods could collate all of the posts across all the forums, but my guess is they aren’t paid nearly enough to do that.

The map shows the car is moving 90 degrees to the direction it is facing at about 100 MPH. I don’t think it’s a tire problem but thanks for the detailed answer.
I just had this happen to my car, but it fixed itself after driving a few minutes. The GPS didn't seem to place the car in the wrong location, just seemed think the car was going the opposite direction it was actually going. This is without FSD (I don't have the option) nor AP on. I don't have the update installed yet that disables radar (although it's asking me to install it).

The only thing I did differently for this trip than I normally do was I had the car fully charged, I just made a short trip (less than a mile) in the morning to drop someone off and go back to my garage, plus I set the navigation while in the garage (usually I set it after I get on the road). Too much variables to tell what matters. Could just be a random glitch (I didn't try a reboot).