Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me finalize color choice! Blue vs White vs Red

Which color?

• White

Votes: 81 29.5%
  • Blue

Votes: 97 35.3%
  • Red

Votes: 97 35.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never liked white cars for most of my life. But my wife actually wanted white with a black interior, and I thought about it and decided that it was not only $2000 cheaper, but it didn't really look bad on a small car. Plus it's probably the safest color for visibility. Plus who needs to attract more attention of thieves and cops anyway. My friends actually don't care what color car I drive, and I mainly just care about how it looks inside.

So we got white; it looks great. It's easy to keep clean IMO. Doesn't seem to show dirt very easily. I've washed it 3 or 4 times in the past year, but I mostly just clean the glass, which is mostly what gets dirty here in the Calif Bay Area, with no snow or mud (unfortunately).

And did I mention the $2000 we saved? :cool:

Reactions: BMWM3Man
I did read the other thread but feel my situation is different and the other thread didn’t discuss blue and red in depth.

Getting 18” aero wheels. I’m leaning towards black interior. I might be open to white but only downsides of it are that it really brightens up the exterior from the outside. Kinda dislike that fishbowl look. But I do like that it makes the cabin feel more airy. I also do eat food in the car, so while it is easy to cleanup, might still be more hassle.

I live in the PNW, and noticed the Red looks a bit dull. But at night and in the sunshine it looks amazing.

Blue is kind of the middle road. I like that I’m choosing a color that isn’t some version of off-white like 90% of cars.

White I think makes the cars curves look good, but as a driver I didn’t like looking at the white hood of the car since it’s really bright (idk weird OCD stuff LOL). And idk, everyone has white. But tbh white looks the best on this car, especially the rear quarter view. I think I could probably get over the hood thing.

The benefit is that I can wrap white it since it’s free. But honestly I would rather not have to spend another $3-$4k for something that doesn’t last forever.

Red and Blue would look good in white or black interior. White and white for me is too much white personally.

Idk how to decide, how do the blue and red paint hold up?

I’m in my mid 20s so I do want to have the feeling of looking back at my car as I walk away :D

I missed that you created this thread yesterday... but how many separate threads are you going to create about color on a vehicle that only has 5 choices to begin with? Especially since there has been plenty of feedback in the other threads you created.

These are ones you specifically created:

All of these have feedback in them, quite a bit actually. Creating another one is a bit out of hand.

We got white, but I'd get blue if I did it over again. I think blue looks really good now. When looking at the blue over the summer, it seemed a bit off, but now I really like it.
I don’t think the Blue was “off”. I think it’s the lighting. In some lighting the blue looks amazing and in others not so great. But almost as hard to keep up ( where I live ) as black.

Reactions: OxBrew
I missed that you created this thread yesterday... but how many separate threads are you going to create about color on a vehicle that only has 5 choices to begin with? Especially since there has been plenty of feedback in the other threads you created.

All of these have feedback in them, quite a bit actually. Creating another one is a bit out of hand.

Yeah but what color should he get?!;)😂

It’s been hard to decide lol. It’s my first time buying a car and I want to make sure I don’t have regrets on the exterior color. And before I was considering different colors.

It’s been hard to decide lol. It’s my first time buying a car and I want to make sure I don’t have regrets on the exterior color. And before I was considering different colors.
Dude there are 5 colours here. 2 are free.
It ain’t rocket science my friend…pick one:

You either like dark or light for one and you prob have a particular liking to either blue or red no?

White - cleans easy, multi coat look but being free, it’s also the most seen colour on a tesla.
See alot of contrast to handles, trim. Hides lines and dirt. Tinted windows adds to the look.
May not have to ppf.

MSM - the most unnoticed colour on the road. Understated elegance. Also shows hardly any dirt. Many choose to matte the colour and give it an extreme sport look. Will not pop…as said, understated.

Black- solid, thin layer, hardest to keep clean but when it is, looks fantastic. Lines pop. Handles and trim get hidden…more of a blackout look. Looks fantastic with blacked out decals, tint.

Blue- one of the only colours that displays 2 diff hues in sun and in eve. Middle of the pack for keeping clean. Beautiful with a white interior. Some feel best combo. Others don’t like black trim and blue. Classy and sport in one.

Red - You want to be seen. Multi coat is thick and shines like wax in sun. Gorgeous. Pairs well with black or white interior. Most expensive…don’t buy expecting a cent back on resale.

You either like dark or light for one and you prob have a particular liking to either blue or red no?

White - cleans easy, multi coat look but being free, it’s also the most seen colour on a tesla.
See alot of contrast to handles, trim. Hides lines and dirt. Tinted windows adds to the look.
May not have to ppf.

MSM - the most unnoticed colour on the road. Understated elegance. Also shows hardly any dirt. Many choose to matte the colour and give it an extreme sport look. Will not pop…as said, understated.

Black- solid, thin layer, hardest to keep clean but when it is, looks fantastic. Lines pop. Handles and trim get hidden…more of a blackout look. Looks fantastic with blacked out decals, tint.

Blue- one of the only colours that displays 2 diff hues in sun and in eve. Middle of the pack for keeping clean. Beautiful with a white interior. Some feel best combo. Others don’t like black trim and blue. Classy and sport in one.

Red - You want to be seen. Multi coat is thick and shines like wax in sun. Gorgeous. Pairs well with black or white interior. Most expensive…don’t buy expecting a cent back on resale.
Good points. I think the blacked out hardware looks the best in the Red. White 2nd even though I hate white. Doesn’t look great on Blue as you mentioned (and MSM has a similar issue but not quite as bad as blue). All black does have a unique look though, if you like that look.

To be honest all the colors looked pretty good with Chrome hardware. I think it looked really good on MSM, white 2nd. Did I mention I hate white ;)

One other factor is which wheels go with what colors. I can’t believe they don’t do red calipers on Plaid. That’s a sin (yes I know about the $20K add on). Also bummed the 19” wheels on Model S are almost as ugly as Aero’s ( with or without covers).

I think red calipers on MSM is the cats meow. With appropriate wheel. Better than even black. I plan to get my MSM Model S calipers done in Red ;) I’ll try with Aero covers off and have an open mind. They look almost exactly like Model 3 Aeros which I could never get to like.

if I had caught it yesterday, I would have combined it with one of the other ones you created. I am not doing that (yet) for this one, but please do not create any more threads about colors, wraps etc. If you want to discuss that further, do it in one of the threads you started.

Good points. I think the blacked out hardware looks the best in the Red. White 2nd even though I hate white. Doesn’t look great on Blue as you mentioned (and MSM has a similar issue but not quite as bad as blue). All black does have a unique look though, if you like that look.

To be honest all the colors looked pretty good with Chrome hardware. I think it looked really good on MSM, white 2nd. Did I mention I hate white ;)

One other factor is which wheels go with what colors. I can’t believe they don’t do red calipers on Plaid. That’s a sin (yes I know about the $20K add on). Also bummed the 19” wheels on Model S are almost as ugly as Aero’s ( with or without covers).

I think red calipers on MSM is the cats meow. With appropriate wheel. Better than even black. I plan to get my MSM Model S calipers done in Red ;) I’ll try with Aero covers off and have an open mind. They look almost exactly like Model 3 Aeros which I could never get to like.
Well said in white lol. And MSM.
Ive had red calipers painted on my teslas always. It’s basically the Perf look. However seems like Perf is now black calipers…a more hidden sport look.

On my black M3LR, I’m going to try the blk calipers, alongside the dark tint, spoiler, darker powder coated carbon 19” oem rims.

I agree the chrome trim looks fantastic on blue /red while blk trim good for black, white and msm. Chrome is classy, black is sport. They should have allowed a choice here or maybe make all P cars black and non-P chrome. Differentiate P a bit maybe.

Wish they brought back silver and signature red!

Last edited:
I decided to go Blue . Worst case scenario I hate it and can wrap it in a different color later. I just wasn’t sure about it since my friend said if I don’t get white interior I shouldn’t go for blue. But I liked blue the most.
So blue on black? Great choice…you’ll like it ! I have a blue/black MYP coming shortly :) Get the T decals done In satin black or gun metal…get rid of remaining chrome :)

May not have to ppf.

I think my hesitation is that everyone has a white model 3. But I think the most beautiful model 3 cars are arguably white and red. The only small minor thing is that when I test drove the model 3 I didn’t like looking at the white hood of the car? Probably because it’s super bright idk. Didn’t have this issue when I rented a red on Turo.

MSM is a bit boring for my tastes, but could be good to get it since it’s free and darker colors are better for a wrap.

The Tesla blue is very neutral for me. A bit underwhelming. But I also do like blue cars.

The red looks good. Sometimes can be a bit dull in PNW weather. But amazing in the sun.

My ultimate goal is to get a good sporty color. I like getting compliments on my car. So based on that I would say it’s between white, MSM then get a wrap, or red.

So blue on black? Great choice…you’ll like it ! I have a blue/black MYP coming shortly :) Get the T decals done In satin black or gun metal…get rid of remaining chrome :)

My model 3 is blue on black. I liked the white interior better, but was not down for trying to keep it looking pristine. Some people "zen out" to car cleaning / detailing, but I am not one of those people.

My black interior still looks basically new on my 2018 model 3 P. I think blue / white interior looks better, but I dont think blue / black looks bad at all, but thats what I have, so of course thats what I think, lmao.