Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me finalize color choice! Blue vs White vs Red

Which color?

• White

Votes: 81 29.5%
  • Blue

Votes: 97 35.3%
  • Red

Votes: 97 35.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to have to start and pay more attention...can't remember when I've seen this color in the wild.

View attachment 780274
One of my neighbors has a silver one and I’ve seen the obsidian one in person as well. It is quite shinny.

The silver was originally going to look like this.
Silver-Tesla-Model-3-front-employee-party.jpg

But it was a bit different.

I think my hesitation is that everyone has a white model 3. But I think the most beautiful model 3 cars are arguably white and red. The only small minor thing is that when I test drove the model 3 I didn’t like looking at the white hood of the car? Probably because it’s super bright idk. Didn’t have this issue when I rented a red on Turo.

MSM is a bit boring for my tastes, but could be good to get it since it’s free and darker colors are better for a wrap.

The Tesla blue is very neutral for me. A bit underwhelming. But I also do like blue cars.

The red looks good. Sometimes can be a bit dull in PNW weather. But amazing in the sun.

My ultimate goal is to get a good sporty color. I like getting compliments on my car. So based on that I would say it’s between white, MSM then get a wrap, or red.
Here's my opinion and experience:

I have driven long-term a white Model Y, red Model 3, and blue (and previously black) Model S. The white and red have white interiors, and the blue and black have/had black interiors.

I strongly recommend the white interior. Initially I thought the cabin was too bright, like you said, but appropriately tinted, it's not bad. And it's just such a unique feel, everyone notices it, and the seating surfaces are also a bit softer/more plush than the black.

Regarding exterior, I'm not a big fan of the blue. When it gets a bit dirty, it gets very dull. Also, I don't think the body shape of the M3 looks that great in blue; the MY and MS look better in blue.

The red is stunning! With white interior I think it's the best looking of all Teslas, and you did say you want to look back at the car when you are walking away. It does also get a bit dull when dirty. All of the colors look fantastic when clean (except MSM which kinda looks the same dirty/clean).

While I've never been a fan of white cars, I have to say the white MYP has really grown on me. The black accents make it look really sharp, and that goes for the white M3 as well.

Ultimately you said you want sporty and to get compliments. That means red with white interior.

I have driven long-term a white Model Y, red Model 3, and blue (and previously black) Model S. The white and red have white interiors, and the blue and black have/had black interiors.

I strongly recommend the white interior. Initially I thought the cabin was too bright, like you said, but appropriately tinted, it's not bad. And it's just such a unique feel, everyone notices it, and the seating surfaces are also a bit softer/more plush than the black.

Regarding exterior, I'm not a big fan of the blue. When it gets a bit dirty, it gets very dull. Also, I don't think the body shape of the M3 looks that great in blue; the MY and MS look better in blue.

The red is stunning! With white interior I think it's the best looking of all Teslas, and you did say you want to look back at the car when you are walking away. It does also get a bit dull when dirty. All of the colors look fantastic when clean (except MSM which kinda looks the same dirty/clean).

While I've never been a fan of white cars, I have to say the white MYP has really grown on me. The black accents make it look really sharp, and that goes for the white M3 as well.

Ultimately you said you want sporty and to get compliments. That means red with white interior.
Yeah I think I’m going to change to red or white but probably going to go with the black interior. I sat in the white interior 2 days ago and it didn’t feel too bright, but I still preferred the black interior. Idk everyone seems to LOVE the white interior, but I really didn’t care for it. Like I sat in both and liked that the black was darker and thus felt more calm. I like the wood trim as well. I also know it’s easy to clean up but it still is more maintenance than black.

I do want compliments, but if I’m going to be alone driving it 90% of the time I should get the interior I prefer.

Did you get more speeding tickets with red?

Last edited:
Yeah I think I’m going to change to red or white but probably going to go with the black interior. I sat in the white interior 2 days ago and it didn’t feel too bright, but I still preferred the black interior. Idk everyone seems to LOVE the white interior, but I really didn’t care for it. Like I sat in both and liked that the black was darker and thus felt more calm. I like the wood trim as well. I also know it’s easy to clean up but it still is more maintenance than black.

I do want compliments, but if I’m going to be alone driving it 90% of the time I should get the interior I prefer.

Did you get more speeding tickets with red?
Definitely get the interior that makes you happy! Nothing wrong with black, and since you're in the PNW you don't have to worry about the interior getting hot.

I think the speeding tickets will have more to do with the way you drive than the color of your car. There are plenty of red cars out there. :)

Reactions: BMWM3Man
Definitely get the interior that makes you happy! Nothing wrong with black, and since you're in the PNW you don't have to worry about the interior getting hot.

I think the speeding tickets will have more to do with the way you drive than the color of your car. There are plenty of red cars out there. :)

I thought about white but came to my senses when I remembered a friends tan BMW seats from blue jeans... Does the Tesla white have the same problem? He literally can not get the color out of his seat.

Oh yeah, I think if I lived in CA or TX or FL, there would be no way I got black interior. But it rarely gets above 80 here even in the summer. And on those days
I thought about white but came to my senses when I remembered a friends tan BMW seats from blue jeans... Does the Tesla white have the same problem? He literally can not get the color out of his seat.
i heard tesla white seats are easier to clean than black. Cleaning wasn’t my worry

• Funny
Reactions: BMWM3Man

Thank you this helps a lot!

what were your thoughts on MSM btw?

I did read the other thread but feel my situation is different and the other thread didn’t discuss blue and red in depth.

Getting 18” aero wheels. I’m leaning towards black interior. I might be open to white but only downsides of it are that it really brightens up the exterior from the outside. Kinda dislike that fishbowl look. But I do like that it makes the cabin feel more airy. I also do eat food in the car, so while it is easy to cleanup, might still be more hassle.

I live in the PNW, and noticed the Red looks a bit dull. But at night and in the sunshine it looks amazing.

Blue is kind of the middle road. I like that I’m choosing a color that isn’t some version of off-white like 90% of cars.

White I think makes the cars curves look good, but as a driver I didn’t like looking at the white hood of the car since it’s really bright (idk weird OCD stuff LOL). And idk, everyone has white. But tbh white looks the best on this car, especially the rear quarter view. I think I could probably get over the hood thing.

The benefit is that I can wrap white it since it’s free. But honestly I would rather not have to spend another $3-$4k for something that doesn’t last forever.

Red and Blue would look good in white or black interior. White and white for me is too much white personally.

Idk how to decide, how do the blue and red paint hold up?

I’m in my mid 20s so I do want to have the feeling of looking back at my car as I walk away :D
White .. shows all the muck and dirt
Red .. too "look at me!!!"
Blue .. hides the dirt, warms the car a bit in winter

:)

One more question: would it be better just to get the free color and then wrap it later? Or choose the color I like most from the factory and don’t wrap it?
Keep in mind that wraps have a finite lifespan. As someone who likes to set up the car and then not deal with it, I'd get the color you want from the factory. If you want something very unique, or like to tinker with the car a lot, you can get a wrap. The wraps also aren't cheap. So paint color will be the durable, long lasting choice.