Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me finalize color choice! Blue vs White vs Red

Which color?

• White

Votes: 81 29.5%
  • Blue

Votes: 97 35.3%
  • Red

Votes: 97 35.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There’s a reason why everyone and their moms get white. Blue is too dark, it’s just not the right shade. When dirty it doesn’t look good. Red is also wrong shade, more like candy apple you see on wheels that somehow doesn’t fit with the whole car theme. It’s also a girl color. White on white or black interior can’t go wrong.

A44EFA7D-117A-479A-ABE5-423547ED7729.jpeg
7301C721-C091-4939-9EE4-6CC8144C1F22.jpeg
3BD67B3D-EA9A-46A6-A4E5-FC1886BE043C.jpeg
AABFF905-6A5B-49A8-93EF-09266C6C8AE1.jpeg

• Disagree
Reactions: Cobalt3 and markc2
Hey I’m having a similar dilemma. I just don’t like the shade of red or blue that tesla has. And black is too hard to take care of.

I do love the white, and MSM is a close second. I’m thinking I would get white and then if I regret my decision then I would wrap it later. Is this a good idea? Or should I get MSM because white is hard to wrap?

I would probably want a dark orange or maybe cornflower blue for the exterior. Black interior. Would love any advice!

There’s a reason why everyone and their moms get white. Blue is too dark, it’s just not the right shade. When dirty it doesn’t look good. Red is also wrong shade, more like candy apple you see on wheels that somehow doesn’t fit with the whole car theme. It’s also a girl color. White on white or black interior can’t go wrong.

View attachment 783470View attachment 783471View attachment 783477View attachment 783478
What do you think of MSM? Here’s my dilemma. I hate the shade of red and blue that tesla has and black is too hard to take care of. I love the white tesla color. It’s beautiful. MSM is a close second. I’m thinking of going for white on black interior and if I regret my decision (ie get tired of being another white tesla) to get it wrapped later down the line. But I heard MSM is better for a wrap than white.

So my dilemma is to get white because I like it slightly more than MSM, but I know that white would be worse because of door jambs as a wrap color. And both MSM and white are free.

What do you think of MSM? Here’s my dilemma. I hate the shade of red and blue that tesla has and black is too hard to take care of. I love the white tesla color. It’s beautiful. MSM is a close second. I’m thinking of going for white on black interior and if I regret my decision (ie get tired of being another white tesla) to get it wrapped later down the line. But I heard MSM is better for a wrap than white.

So my dilemma is to get white because I like it slightly more than MSM, but I know that white would be worse because of door jambs as a wrap color. And both MSM and white are free.
White is statistically safer.

But how can white compare to this.
47953530547_6c15aa7eee_b_d.jpg

My new S in MSM
51951218103_d86251c12d_b_d.jpg

MSM is my least favorite color for the sole fact the color looks like every Toyota RAV 4 on the street or every Toyota Camry. It’s probably the popular choice for newbie car buyers but once you own few grey cars you get tired of it. Scratches are noticeable, paint chips are noticeable, did I mention it looks like a rav4.

MSM is my least favorite color for the sole fact the color looks like every Toyota RAV 4 on the street or every Toyota Camry. It’s probably the popular choice for newbie car buyers but once you own few grey cars you get tired of it. Scratches are noticeable, paint chips are noticeable, did I mention it looks like a rav4.
Completely agree. MSM just never wowed me.

Tbh, no offense, but Tesla needs a new color palette. The blue is way too dark, the red looks good at times in optimal lighting (eg showroom lights), black isn’t bad but I don’t want to own a black car, which leaves the only good color which is white!

MSM will now be more common since it is a free option. I’ve mentioned this before, people choose white because it is easy to take care of and it is free. People love anything that is free. They probably do not care about the color of the car. If red was free and white was a 2k option, then red would’ve been the most popular choice.

I see a ton of Tesla’s in my community and the white is now so mundane. MSN is getting up there as well. I see more and more.

Black, blue and red are the ones you don’t see as often(At least with new Model 3’s).

MSM with the black interior is so-so, but with white seats it looks much better.

MSM will now be more common since it is a free option. I’ve mentioned this before, people choose white because it is easy to take care of and it is free. People love anything that is free. They probably do not care about the color of the car. If red was free and white was a 2k option, then red would’ve been the most popular choice.

I see a ton of Tesla’s in my community and the white is now so mundane. MSN is getting up there as well. I see more and more.

Black, blue and red are the ones you don’t see as often(At least with new Model 3’s.)

MSM with the black interior is so-so, but with white seats it looks much better.
My issue is that I just don’t like the tesla red. It’s just too maroon looking. And we don’t get a lot of sun in WA, so most of the time it looks dull.

That’s why I’m considering just getting white or MSM and then wrapping it. However, I agree that the only downside is that white is everywhere. Red is rare. But I’m not gonna buy a paint color I don’t 100% like for $2,000 extra just to be more rare.

Would it make sense to get blue even though it’s not the shade of blue I like? I wouldn’t mind owning blue since it won’t be as common as white or MSM, and is the only real “color” along with red.

However, at times I just feel it’s too dark of a shade.

My issue is that I just don’t like the tesla red. It’s just too maroon looking. And we don’t get a lot of sun in WA, so most of the time it looks dull.

That’s why I’m considering just getting white or MSM and then wrapping it. However, I agree that the only downside is that white is everywhere. Red is rare. But I’m not gonna buy a paint color I don’t 100% like for $2,000 extra just to be more rare.
That’s understandable. But as others have noted a wrap is not permanent. A wrap lasts, what? 5-6 years? You’re going to spend 3k+ to wrap your car and then it’s going to begin to fade and peal? This is one of the reasons I have not wrapped my white Model Y.

For me, red with white was the perfect combination. Second was black with white.

Also, I’ve never looked at my Model 3 and said it looks maroonish.
337417B7-B213-4B9E-A8ED-A6906A9EF967.jpeg
B683246A-E1DF-4BE0-83F4-6F2376FAD49C.jpeg

That’s understandable. But as others have noted a wrap is not permanent. A wrap lasts, what? 5-6 years? You’re going to spend 3k+ to wrap your car and then it’s going to begin to fade and peal? This is one of the reasons I have not wrapped my white Model Y.

For me, red with white was the perfect combination. Second was black with white.

Also, I’ve never looked at my Model 3 and said it looks maroonish.
View attachment 783800View attachment 783801
I think I misunderstood what maroon was. Didn’t realize actual maroon is super dark.

Your tesla is in direct sunlight. If I didn’t live in the PNW, it would be easily red. But most of the time when I see a red tesla, it looks super dull in the clouds. I think only the white looked good in the clouds.

Based on the fact that you don’t like the “fishbowl effect” visibility that comes along with white interiors, I suspect you should not get white exterior. Just a hunch.
Disagree. I saw a white at night. It’s just the exterior that’s bright. But the inside isn’t easy to see in.

Unless OP meant they don’t like the car exterior lighting up at night. I thought he/she meant they don’t like that the white interior allows you to look inside the interior more easily.

I think I misunderstood what maroon was. Didn’t realize actual maroon is super dark.

Your tesla is in direct sunlight. If I didn’t live in the PNW, it would be easily red. But most of the time when I see a red tesla, it looks super dull in the clouds. I think only the white looked good in the clouds.
So, move out of the PNW!

I see what you’re saying. Depending on the weather, the red looks different.
Here is one in the shade(Not mine).
PXL_20210808_235723075-scaled-1-1536x864.jpg

So, move out of the PNW!

I see what you’re saying. Depending on the weather, the red looks different.
Here is one in the shade(Not mine).
PXL_20210808_235723075-scaled-1-1536x864.jpg
My work and family is here :(

That red is gorgeous! Hmm now I’m actually considering switching my order from white to red. Gonna sleep on it.

Good thing tesla allows you to change now without a price increase. It used to be a few weeks ago that you would get the new increased price. But I called me tesla rep after I saw on Reddit forums recently that they no longer bump you to the new price for a config change. They verified it’s true!

My work and family is here :(

That red is gorgeous! Hmm now I’m actually considering switching my order from white to red. Gonna sleep on it.

Good thing tesla allows you to change now without a price increase. It used to be a few weeks ago that you would get the new increased price. But I called me tesla rep after I saw on Reddit forums recently that they no longer bump you to the new price for a config change. They verified it’s true!
Don’t second guess yourself on white. Red is a girl color. Not the right red. You’ll love white. I own 2019 m3 white on white and guess what. I traded for 21 white on white again. White is not a “safe” color many people like to use. It just goes well with the black trim, black wheels and tint man. Here’s some pic of my 2019 and now 2021. “hot” red or white.

Attachments

• 0A5EDBF3-0765-4FDB-89B6-E2F574954FFB.jpeg
    0A5EDBF3-0765-4FDB-89B6-E2F574954FFB.jpeg
    384.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 40755151-8319-4FF0-888C-2A60F9AA3D25.jpeg
    40755151-8319-4FF0-888C-2A60F9AA3D25.jpeg
    464.1 KB · Views: 131
  • 6F7AAB66-9BD2-4315-BE9E-901F379988FD.jpeg
    6F7AAB66-9BD2-4315-BE9E-901F379988FD.jpeg
    812.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 3762E1A2-08D2-4458-B356-22ED141F914A.jpeg
    3762E1A2-08D2-4458-B356-22ED141F914A.jpeg
    623.6 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Don’t second guess yourself on white. Red is a girl color. Not the right red. You’ll love white. I own 2019 m3 white on white and guess what. I traded for 21 white on white again. White is not a “safe” color many people like to use. It just goes well with the black trim, black wheels and tint man. Here’s some pic of my 2019 and now 2021. “hot” red or white.
I just saw a MSM along with a white on the road and both looked striking. The MSM looked very stealthy with the black trim and the white was very elegant.

Saw a red and blue and felt meh. In the clouds white and MSM are the winners. I’m getting black interior, would white go good with a black interior?

How can anyone think Rental Car White is striking? Blue and red add some personality to what's essentially a clean but pretty bland looking car. Not only is white a dime a dozen color for these vehicles, it makes them look like a rolling appliance. Black is black (worst upkeep and never stays clean) and grey is an SUV color but white is definately by far the worst color to get IMO unless you want to blend in and disappear (and some people just may want that).