Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me find a way to charge!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I recently moved to Richmond VA, I now live in an apartment complex and I don’t have anyway to charge my car. My commute to work is about 20 mins everyday and there’s no charger either. I’m scared to rely on supercharging as I believe that damages the battery long term, please if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I’m in need of some help! Thank you!

Well, if you don't want to super charge, and obviously will have to charge at some point(s) throughout the week I would weigh the pros and cons of having one at work or at home. Once you decide if at home or at work would be better then get to creating a presentation for your landlord at either location as to the benefits of having a BEV charger at their location. Inquire about having them install one on their dime, if that's a no go you may have to get a couple estimates from electricians and then approach either landlord about allowing you to run a line, and install your own charger. Not sure any other options, I'm sure you have seen/heard of plug share you may be able to find a public/community level 2 charger that works for you maybe when you go to the gym, grocery shop, visit friends, etc.

So I recently moved to Richmond VA, I now live in an apartment complex and I don’t have anyway to charge my car. My commute to work is about 20 mins everyday and there’s no charger either. I’m scared to rely on supercharging as I believe that damages the battery long term, please if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I’m in need of some help! Thank you!
Download the Plugshare app onto your phone, (Plugshare is also available on the web.) Plugshare can help you to locate public level 2 (L2) charging stations. You may find that there are L2 charging stations nearby (sometimes even free to use for a few hours while you shop or dine.) Also, Google maps lets you search for, display "Electric Vehicle Charging Stations" and Tesla Destination chargers, also Superchargers. When using a public L2 charging station you would use the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter that came with your Tesla Model Y to charge.

I would not be too concerned about using a Supercharger. Seek out Urban Superchargers. These charge at a maximum of 72kW. 72kW is right around 1C where C is the capacity of the battery in kWh. Charging at or under 1C is not as stressful to the battery as charging at multiples of C. Peak charging using a V2 Supercharger can be 120kW or 150kW. V3 Superchargers currently charge at up to 250kW. So an Urban Supercharger would take longer to charge (still well under 1 hour in most cases) than a V2 or V3 Supercharger but the battery will be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: cwerdna
Well, if you don't want to super charge, and obviously will have to charge at some point(s) throughout the week I would weigh the pros and cons of having one at work or at home. Once you decide if at home or at work would be better then get to creating a presentation for your landlord at either location as to the benefits of having a BEV charger at their location. Inquire about having them install one on their dime, if that's a no go you may have to get a couple estimates from electricians and then approach either landlord about allowing you to run a line, and install your own charger. Not sure any other options, I'm sure you have seen/heard of plug share you may be able to find a public/community level 2 charger that works for you maybe when you go to the gym, grocery shop, visit friends, etc.
I believe some cities/utilities offer credits to landlords and business owners to install chargers. Maybe that is something that's happening in your area.