Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me fix this noise from the hatch.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kyva1929

Apr 21, 2022
US
Just got car back from service center earlier this week, a new noise develops after fixing an old one that was super annoying. Putting the video and the comments in the invoice just as reference for any poor souls who have the same kind of noise with their car.

First major rattle / ticking noise from the back, happens @ > 40mph driving over bumpy road:​

Notes indicated that rear trunk trim and module mounting bracket behind trunk trim are insulated. Corrections indicated that:
Trim - Lid - Trunk (Remove & Replace)
Trim - Side - Trunk - LH (Remove & Replace)
Trim - Side - Trunk - RH (Remove & Replace)

Fix was covered for free.

Have been generally quite happy with tesla service center, they send a tech out for a test drive with you to identify and reproduce the issue.

Now, a new noise at < 40mph driving over small bumps, deep man hole, lane divider etc:​

Fix attempted:
- Adjusted the 4 rubber stoppers using the paper method, paper envelope can be pulled out with some resistance from all 4 stoppers.

I could schedule another appointment that would be at the earliest a month or two away, or I could get my hands dirty and attempt to fix this on my own, since theres strong indication that the new noise developed around trunk trims that just got touched. After all, I think these kinds of rattles and noises are common for most cars, coming from toyota and lexus I have had a good share of random cabin noise, figure this is something I should just learn and try.

If anyone had experience / videos of trunk trim disassembly, fixing noises from the area would really appreciate it if you could share your experience here!