Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Me Learn To Park My Model S Properly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have another observation, based on driving today. I don't think anyone has made this one yet.

There is no obvious center point visible from the driver's seat that would allow us to attempt to align the center of the front of the car with where we believe the center of the front of the spot is, as we are turning into the spot. I think this missing reference point is adding to our collective difficulties. Again, it was probably just part of the subconscious way we've all learned to park: use the center point of the car and direct it to the center of the front of the spot. But if we can't find a center point...

I parked today quite well, head-in, after just one adjustment. But the pre-adjustment parking had me relatively straight (I think--I didn't get out of the car to check, so I'll never know), but once again basically on top of the left line. I am 100% consistent in erring in that direction. I guess there's something to be said for consistency.

When I was a kid learning to drive, I remember using the hood ornament as a "crosshair". After I got my license and my own car (w/o a center reference), I haven't needed any kind of center point. After driving a particular car for awhile, it usually becomes an extension of my body and I don't need any reference points to know where it's corners are, it just seems to be instinctive. I back into my garage every time, and I park really close to several obstacles, yet I seem to maintain a repeatable precision.

Unless I'm in a hurry to arrive somewhere, it seems logical to back in when there's an option. The reasoning is that I might just be in a big hurry to leave on time, (Earthquake, Fire, Act-of-God, etc.) so being able to pull right out is nice. I'm usually not in any hurry to park, so I have time to back in. I think it's all this backing over the years that has made me good at estimating where the car is.

If you don't have the staggered wheel setup, I find that the reversing lines are pretty accurately at the outer edge of the tyres. Accordingly, I can forget about the cars large hips and get in straight, with some additional help from the tilt down mirrors.

When I was a kid learning to drive, I remember using the hood ornament as a "crosshair". After I got my license and my own car (w/o a center reference), I haven't needed any kind of center point.

I drove cars with hood ornaments back in the day too, but can't imagine how this would work unless you lean over towards the center of the car. Wouldn't the angle between the driver's position on the left and the ornament at the center skew the angle you're shooting for?

I drove cars with hood ornaments back in the day too, but can't imagine how this would work unless you lean over towards the center of the car. Wouldn't the angle between the driver's position on the left and the ornament at the center skew the angle you're shooting for?

You can use it to align the right side of the car with a parking space, road edge, etc. Needed for a 12 year old kid driving a huge GM sedan! =)

You can use it to align the right side of the car with a parking space, road edge, etc. Needed for a 12 year old kid driving a huge GM sedan! =)

My first car was a hand-me-down 1967 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight. It was the kind of car you got in to and walked to your seat. I had a flat tire once, and it had a full size spare mounted on a 45 degree angle at the forward edge of the trunk, as was the style back then. I actually had to get in to the trunk and crawl to the tire to unfasten and remove it! My next car was a Honda Accord that I bought new and, aside from it being a horrible car all around, it was just too "small" for me after the Olds. I then went to a mid-size Chrysler Cordoba, which was a nice size for me.