Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me like black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a Performance Red with White interior 55 days ago. There's no end in sight. Could be near the end of Q2, who knows (not Tesla). They've had a Black with White interior the whole time. Black is one of my least desired colours. Its a huge purchase and I really want Red. But I'm breaking down. The anxiety, the uncertainty, my enthusiasm for the whole thing is wearing down.

Can I be satisfied with black? Is it a good colour? I feel like it's the most common colour, and everyone says it's hard to take care of. The only thing anyone does to make it look any better is get a chrome delete and maybe a matte wrap. The latter is expensive and I think it makes it look like it's trying to be a Dodge muscle car or something. Is there something more interesting that can be done?

I'm worried if I give up on my choice it's going to make me sad every time I see a red one. I should stick to my first love, but it's getting harder.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
I ordered a Performance Red with White interior 55 days ago. There's no end in sight. Could be near the end of Q2, who knows (not Tesla). They've had a Black with White interior the whole time. Black is one of my least desired colours. Its a huge purchase and I really want Red. But I'm breaking down. The anxiety, the uncertainty, my enthusiasm for the whole thing is wearing down.

Can I be satisfied with black? Is it a good colour? I feel like it's the most common colour, and everyone says it's hard to take care of. The only thing anyone does to make it look any better is get a chrome delete and maybe a matte wrap. The latter is expensive and I think it makes it look like it's trying to be a Dodge muscle car or something. Is there something more interesting that can be done?

I'm worried if I give up on my choice it's going to make me sad every time I see a red one. I should stick to my first love, but it's getting harder.

Black is cheaper. Fit the price of red you can wrap your car in any color you want. Even Red;)

And ASK for a discount... i am dutch. Cheap is sometimes a great equalizer.

Last edited:
black perf with a white interior is pretty sexy.

but you have to be happy with it, so if red is your choice, just wait it out. it'll be worth it.

but go check out the black one just for giggles. maybe it will call to you. they look much different in person than they do in pics.

Black is much cheaper. There you go. :)

Also red with white interior looks odd... like a clown vehicle...

OP black cars in general are hard to take care of. My first BMW, I let the dealer talk me into a black one (metallic black actually) telling me it was not as hard to take care of as the jet black (flat black). It still was hard to take care of, and it was a lease. I couldnt wait to give it back after the three year lease.

You can always get it wrapped, BUT the cost of a good (GOOD) quality wrap is going to cost you more than the difference in price between black and red (or, more than 2500 US). Any full car wrap you could get for that difference will be from either your best friend who is a pro, or someone who is trying to attract business.

So, wait for your desired color. If you settle now, you will hate the car, every time you look at it and its dusty / dirty you will get mad. Get your desired color. If black isnt one of them, dont get it.

Reactions: Evoforce
OP black cars in general are hard to take care of. My first BMW, I let the dealer talk me into a black one (metallic black actually) telling me it was not as hard to take care of as the jet black (flat black). It still was hard to take care of, and it was a lease. I couldnt wait to give it back after the three year lease.

You can always get it wrapped, BUT the cost of a good (GOOD) quality wrap is going to cost you more than the difference in price between black and red (or, more than 2500 US). Any full car wrap you could get for that difference will be from either your best friend who is a pro, or someone who is trying to attract business.

So, wait for your desired color. If you settle now, you will hate the car, every time you look at it and its dusty / dirty you will get mad. Get your desired color. If black isnt one of them, dont get it.
I looked into a wrap and yes it was going to cost more than the red paint option. It also required them to have the car for 5 days.

I know waiting is the right thing that's why I have been. But now we're crossing weekends where we had planned road trips. Booked vacation days. We planned on having our car now. It's hard to make any plans going forward. Will we have our car? In two more weeks? Or two more months? What plans should we confirm for upcoming long weekends? I had a buyer for my previous car. I'm now worried that's going to dry up.

I absolutely hate the idea of compromising on this colour choice but when does it out weigh all of this rest of this.

That's my rant, but what I was actually asking is for ideas about wrapping the car that are interesting, and not just matte black with chrome delete.

Reactions: Superendo
hqdefault.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: VT_EE
Black with White interior:

Like you, I toiled. But black (In my humble opinion) looks the absolute best if you don't mind keeping it clean. Just invest a little extra time/money in getting a ceramic coating put on the car the weekend you take delivery (I did mine at home over the course of a day and a half)

I don't think the car 'needed' the chrome delete, but for $595, I think it was a good call.

IMG_0751.JPG
IMG_3616.JPG
IMG_4924.JPG

BTW - These pics were taken about 1 month after I took delivery. The 4 coats of Cquartz Finest basically keep anything from sticking (dirt, mud, bugs) and the car is REALLY easy to clean. I simply use a bottle of Griots spray detailer with a clean microfiber every few days, and it looks like it does above. I still have yet to wash the car even once after the coating...

Black with White interior:

Like you, I toiled. But black (In my humble opinion) looks the absolute best if you don't mind keeping it clean. Just invest a little extra time/money in getting a ceramic coating put on the car the weekend you take delivery (I did mine at home over the course of a day and a half)

I don't think the car 'needed' the chrome delete, but for $595, I think it was a good call.

View attachment 398575 View attachment 398576 View attachment 398577
Thanks for the pics. It looks good.

#TeamBlack

Yes it will be more effort to maintain, yes it gets dirty fast but good lord it looks stunning with the white interior and on a 3 with tint, chrome delete and with or without the "blacked out" look as above.

Just my biased...personal opinion :)

Reactions: P85_DA