Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me not be an idiot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I was president of the world I would make it the law that anyone who could afford a tesla must buy one. :)
Except there are people who don't want to (not can't) spend that much money on a diminishing asset, or take long distance road trips often (13+ hours) and don't want to add the extra 2-3 hours of charging to the trip, etc.

Those are just a few friends with whom I spoke who "can" afford it, but will not buy one.

I feel your pain. I am on a test drive of a Model S on the 13th July.

I want the pano roof, pearl white, AWD and black leather on the 60KWH, as 200 miles per charge is plenty for me, as I only drive 140 miles on a bad day. AP can be activated later.

I keep thinking that an extra £22,000 is a lot more than the £40,000 I am going to spend on a similarly specified Model 3, but I can't get the thought out of my head.

Realistically, that's another £323 a month over a 72 month HP at 5.9% (the USA get all the good deals at 2%!!). Compared to the £367 that a £40,000 Model 3 will cost each month with £12k deposit, the best part of twice as much again, is a lot to find.

If I wasn't paying off a credit card at 0% for the next 2 years @ £300 a month then I would jump at this, but I need to be SENSIBLE (and therein lies the problem!!!).
Interesting. Have you considered getting the solid white (save 1.5k) instead and AP? I read it was nearly identical to the pear white..?

I think someone else mentioned it already, but if you can do without autopilot (which from the description of your daily driving seems palatable) and AWD (which may be more questionable given your location) you may want to consider a CPO. You can get into a nicely equipped one for the mid $50s, and it won't depreciate as much as a new car. That could be a compromise of sorts between your TESLA WANT and your inner financial responsibility. Something to consider.
I don't get the used CPOs thing. You can get a brand new S for 57.5k minus state incentive. You can get a sweet 1.74 percent over 78 month. You get autopilot hardware, faster charging etc.. Potential upgrade to 75, brand new car full warranty (reading some of the reliability concerns here that alone is a big plus).

Do you ever save money every month with higher rates and shorter terms?

I don't get the used CPOs thing. You can get a brand new S for 57.5k minus state incentive. You can get a sweet 1.74 percent over 78 month. You get autopilot hardware, faster charging etc.. Potential upgrade to 75, brand new car full warranty (reading some of the reliability concerns here that alone is a big plus).

Do you ever save money every month with higher rates and shorter terms?

Except the OP doesn't want the car you get for $57.5k. His cost $80K. So, given that his hangup is the expense, I suggested that if he would consider a non-AP and non-AWD car, a CPO might be a good compromise, since those can be found with a good number of options for mid $50s.

I have a 3.5 month old 85D. I still break out in a little sweat when I think about how much I paid for it :) My car loan is larger than some of my rental property mortgages! Like a lot of people here, even though I can afford a 100K car, I definitely went way out of my comfort zone to buy it. I've since read a lot of success stories here about people buying well cared for CPOs with little battery degradation, and I think, maybe, if I were to do it again, that might be a good approach to get into a great car without paying supercar prices.

Reactions: Caligula
I have a 3.5 month old 85D. I still break out in a little sweat when I think about how much I paid for it :) My car loan is larger than some of my rental property mortgages! Like a lot of people here, even though I can afford a 100K car, I definitely went way out of my comfort zone to buy it. I've since read a lot of success stories here about people buying well cared for CPOs with little battery degradation, and I think, maybe, if I were to do it again, that might be a good approach to get into a great car without paying supercar prices.
But didn't you find it exhilarating to pick your own options?

Reactions: Caligula
i went the used route. But I bought from a private party.

Paid $55k for a P85 with essentially every option and more extras. Big frunk. 4.2s. 253miles of range (battery has degraded a bit since new). Plus I had the seller add the ESA so I have over 5yrs/66k miles bumper to bumper warranty left.

Sure, I don't have AP. Tons of folks love it but when it came down to it, I was willing to forgo it to save enough to buy a 3.

I'm "missing" other features that I don't really miss yet. No parking sensors - I'd like them, but it's not that big a deal. I can't tell you the exact PSI of each of my tires...really my car isn't that much different and IMO is better as a whole than what you get for $80k these days.

I paid less sales tax. It's close to the price of a "sensible" car like a BMW i3 or highlander hybrid. I shouldn't really call it my beater tesla. But I kind of think of it that way. I let the kids eat in in. I tell them not to walk on the leather, but my blood doesn't boil if they do. I park it in any space that's reasonably big enough. It also costs less to insure. Less DMV fees...

...and I paid cash for it. When I read these threads I'm always like, either this person should not buy this car, or, I should be driving a new ludicrous model X ;-)

Anyway, if you're patient, going used can offer great value.

But if you buy new, and maybe you were already thinking this, you seem like the type of buyer who has one crack at this for the next few years. Not the type who flips luxury cars every time the next best thing comes out. So I say order as late as you can to guarantee 2016 delivery. Maximize your features, and roll into tax season to get your $7500 back quickly. There may even be better referral discounts if tesla is trying to reach targets

It all depends on what you want or don’t want as far as things like equipment, how long you plan to keep the car, etc.. Some Tesla CPO prices/deals are ‘better’ than others but I agree that it’s worth comparing against custom order or discounted new inventory cars as well as leasing vs. buying.

I don't think you can expect dealer trade-in value from Tesla on your current car. Hope you are planning to sell it privately otherwise you will need to reset expectations.
I just sold my previous car after buying my Tesla and I sold it privately for the first time (rather than trading it in). With things like cars.com it is really easy and I got my full asking price, which was well above KBB for a dealer trade-in. We live in a whole new world...