Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me not be an idiot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know man. Look at the iPhone in 2007. Revolutionary. How long did people keep it though?

Once you revolutionize something there is always a lot of great improvements that happen over time. how many people here were going to keep their model s forever and ended switching to a different model S?

AWD has a lot of advantages beyond traction. It handles much better, performance is enhanced, better range and efficiency plus power. Keep it in the mix would be my non-biased advice.

All true, but RWD is still very good at all of these things, including traction on slippery roads. It is a great choice for anyone on a budget. Just because there is something better available does not mean it is a must have. I don't think the improvements of the AWD package are worth stretching financially, or postponing a Tesla purchase to save an extra $5,000.

GSP

Reactions: Drucifer
Appreciate all the comments from everyone.

I had a conversation with my father who gave me most of my financial knowledge when I was a kid. Now, there may have been wine/beer involved, but when I told him he was my last line of defense in choosing, he didn't say no. I put in my order the next day.

As far as the options, I suppose I'm not super worried about it. I picked
Blue
60D (maybe an upgrade to 75 in the future)
Pano Roof
Prem Interior (because I want black alcantara, the inside of my Si is all black and looks slick)
Cold Weather option (wife insisted, since we're outside Philly we do get some inclement weather)
Auto Pilot (for the ASSISTANCE it provides, and TACC)

I originally set the date to November delivery to give me time to arrange the sale of my car, and maybe building a shed so I can possibly put this beauty in my tiny one car garage (seriously, it's small as hell). However now that I'm pretty much commited I will be working like a dog to get things set and will likely take delivery earlier.

TODO List:
1) Get a referral code from one of you, Bueller, Bueller? (seriously, feel free to PM me, I know one person I'll try first)
2) Find and price tint (must have)
3) Investigate aftermarket audio options (supposedly anything after market will be better, and cost less than the 2k audio upgrade)
4) Arrange for an extended test drive, maybe even make it to my house to see just how much space this boat will take up.
5) Jump around like a giddy little girl.
6) .0001% of the time, worry about the fact that I just spend 3x my most expensive car before, and will have a loan on a depreciating "asset"

hey Xenius... 2 things.

1) you don't need premium to get black headliner anymore. it is a standalone, cost free option.
2) the code is a link that directs to Tesla site and will automatically apply the discount to your order. this way it is reflected immediately.
- i'm sure you can apply it after w/ a salesperson, but i just did this to be safe
- when using the code, it didn't allow me to pick a delivery date. it shows as soon as possible (Or whatever wording) without an option to change. the Tesla rep I was working with said they could switch it on the back end but I thought the code was to drive short-term deliveries, so i wondered if that was true. i guess i'll find out.

I was in a really similar situation and placed my order on Monday. outside of renovating my house, this is the biggest most extravagant purchase I've made... and I'm glad I did!

PS. PM'd you my referral link.

hey Xenius... 2 things.

1) you don't need premium to get black headliner anymore. it is a standalone, cost free option.
2) the code is a link that directs to Tesla site and will automatically apply the discount to your order. this way it is reflected immediately.
- i'm sure you can apply it after w/ a salesperson, but i just did this to be safe
- when using the code, it didn't allow me to pick a delivery date. it shows as soon as possible (Or whatever wording) without an option to change. the Tesla rep I was working with said they could switch it on the back end but I thought the code was to drive short-term deliveries, so i wondered if that was true. i guess i'll find out.

I was in a really similar situation and placed my order on Monday. outside of renovating my house, this is the biggest most extravagant purchase I've made... and I'm glad I did!

PS. PM'd you my referral link.

Great, thanks. I PM'ed another member who I had been in contact with the first time I waffled on the purchase. If he doesn't get back to me in time you're first in line for the code. I have the order in "editable" stage right now, but my advisor is actually the one who emailed me to ask if I had a referral, so I'm sure it's no problem to apply it after.

As for your #1 above, so if premium isn't required for black alcantara, is it worth it?

cool. yea no sweat on the code but thx for the head's up.

I didn't get premium. the most notable feature (for me) is the power lift gate and I didn't think $3K was worth it for that feature. I also don't use my trunk a lot so it made even less sense for me. I'm sure all these features are personal preferences but I didn't really notice the rest of the things on there when I physically compared cars w/ and w/o premium.

There is a current TV commercial about a group of people called "Settlers".

They settle for the lowest common denometer, and the cheapest life possible, but there is another option.

To spend the money you earn to purchase those things that will give you a better quality of life.

Tag line...Don't settle, Treat yourself to a Tesla.

Few people on their dying bed congratulate themselves for driving a Corolla.

Premium. I like the power lift gate, a lot, and I'm not that old or feeble yet, my kids may disagree. Obviously I wouldn't pay $3k for a power lift gate, but all the extras are nice. If you skip it, you can get the LED interior lighting from Arctic Ocean (a sponsor on this site), they're great.

I also like that the door handles have LEDs. I park in my office/garage, and it always looks cool at night as I close up shop at night and the tesla lights up as I pass by.

Since my CPO came long before the whole bio defense stuff, I can't speak to its value, but there are videos that claim that it is great for driving through cow country.

So, you are over the big hurdle, give some thought, and I'd get audio upgrade too, and not give it another thought.

I don't know if the premium package is "worth" $3K, but I wouldn't get a car without it. If anything, it contains things that I expect on a car of this caliber. My comparison benchmark is the Audi A7 - which a version of me in an alternate universe definitely bought. Also, if you like music, (particularly music with bass at all) definitely consider the upgraded sound.

- Power lift gate - I don't NEED it, but a lot of Fords have one at this point, surely your "irrational" splurge sporty sedan should. (A7 does)
- Alcantara accents, lighted door handles, ambient lighting - If you asked me to buy these things I probably wouldn't (at least until my wife gave me the side eye about it), but it does really add to the overall elegance of the car (even with this stuff, the A7 interior is a cut above)
- Adaptive LED headlights and Fog lights - I'm kind of obsessed with fog lights and complicated headlight technology, so I was in regardless on this one. (A7 had LED headlights, though I don't think they are adaptive. And the driver assist sensors take the place of fog lights)
- quick connection phone dock - should be there already, not in a "premium" package
- Bio weapon defense mode - seems more a gimmick than anything, but it is a unique feature at least.

Few people on their dying bed congratulate themselves for driving a Corolla.
If anyone ever finds me congratulating myself on buying a Tesla, you're authorized to shoot me.Let's not dislocate our shoulders
patting ourselves on the back here.

OP, glad you were able to come to a decision (and the right one, at that ;)). You'll love it. You will, however, kick yourself
for purposefully delaying your Tesla gratification.

- Bio weapon defense mode - seems more a gimmick than anything, but it is a unique feature at least.

I'd love to have this (I got my car well before they added it). The name is a total gimmick, but the functionality could really be handy sometimes. Most of the time it doesn't matter, but every time I'm stuck behind some smelly truck, I wish I had it. The smell isn't too bad, but I'd rather not breathe any pollution I don't have to.

Reactions: javawolfpack
Appreciate all the comments from everyone.

I had a conversation with my father who gave me most of my financial knowledge when I was a kid. Now, there may have been wine/beer involved, but when I told him he was my last line of defense in choosing, he didn't say no. I put in my order the next day.

As far as the options, I suppose I'm not super worried about it. I picked
Blue
60D (maybe an upgrade to 75 in the future)
Pano Roof
Prem Interior (because I want black alcantara, the inside of my Si is all black and looks slick)
Cold Weather option (wife insisted, since we're outside Philly we do get some inclement weather)
Auto Pilot (for the ASSISTANCE it provides, and TACC)

I originally set the date to November delivery to give me time to arrange the sale of my car, and maybe building a shed so I can possibly put this beauty in my tiny one car garage (seriously, it's small as hell). However now that I'm pretty much commited I will be working like a dog to get things set and will likely take delivery earlier.

TODO List:
1) Get a referral code from one of you, Bueller, Bueller? (seriously, feel free to PM me, I know one person I'll try first)
2) Find and price tint (must have)
3) Investigate aftermarket audio options (supposedly anything after market will be better, and cost less than the 2k audio upgrade)
4) Arrange for an extended test drive, maybe even make it to my house to see just how much space this boat will take up.
5) Jump around like a giddy little girl.
6) .0001% of the time, worry about the fact that I just spend 3x my most expensive car before, and will have a loan on a depreciating "asset"
Xenius,

Glad to learn you are getting the car. I suggested you talk to your parents about it so that you end up not purchasing it. I guess I should have been more precise and recommended you to talk to your mother. This was who I really had in mind. I know I purposely did not mention my idea to purchase the car to my mother because I know she would really freak out. My father somehow understands it.

While this thread has not helped you "not being an idiot", some of the comments here have indeed convinced me to wait some time (especially the comments about the autopilot). I used to obsess about the model S, but now coming to the realization that this can wait.

Good luck with the car. I think the blue looks great.

Hey Xav, don't worry. It wasn't anything specifically that you said that made me talk to my dad before ordering. I've been considering and preparing for almost two years now. It was almost inevitable. I think Tesla is the first company I really "believe" in, getting to have the best car on the planet is just icing on the cake :) We'll almost become a one car family with it.