Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me rent a Model 3 for my US road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I'm a longterm tesla fan. I'll be visiting the US west coast this summer and I want to go on a one month and 3500mile road trip. Since I'm 21 and can't afford a Tesla over here in Switzerland I was really looking forward to renting one for my road trip to have that longterm EV experience. Turo won't let me rent one since in Switzerland you get a new licence after three years and they don't rent to people with temporary licenses. The algorithm thinks it will expire but actually, I'll just get a new one. But since Turo doesn't give support to international customers yet they won't talk to me.

If you know anyone or any platform that would rent me a Model 3 LR from July 18 to August 10 in the San Francisco area I would be the happiest guy on earth. I'm willing to pay a good price since I don't want to drive a gas car.

Greetings from Switzerland.

The cards aren’t in your favor here, especially since you’re only 21. Most car rental companies have an extra daily “young driver surcharge” for renters under 25 years old. This is also the case with Turo, Age restrictions:

When you book a car with one of our person-to-person hosts, we’ll charge a "Young Driver Fee." The fee is either 30% of the trip price or up to $15* per day, whichever is greater. We charge this fee as part of your total trip cost when you book your trip.
This could get pretty pricey. I’m not sure if hosts on Turo can refuse a rental or put their own age restrictions on the rental of their car. If they are able to do this I would never rent to you. No offense, but I remember what kind of a driver I was in my early 20s and there is absolutely no way I would have let 21 year old me drive my Model 3. Good luck in your quest though and safe drive here in the US.

I feel your pain. Because of my age, I've always had issues with rental companies and still do. Every single time, I had to use one of my parent's credentials with their consent and pretend to be them on Turo.

Heck, even the Tesla sales people refused to take me seriously at a local gallery and refused to let me test drive a Model S just because they thought I couldn't afford one. "That's a $70k car, you know". They finally caved in when they realized I already had an order for one. Same thing happened with the Model 3 and now rental companies after someone hit it while parked.

What part of the West coast are you going to be in? I might be willing to let you rent mine if near Los Angeles. I probably drive it just as crazy as you would.

The cards aren’t in your favor here, especially since you’re only 21. Most car rental companies have an extra daily “young driver surcharge” for renters under 25 years old. This is also the case with Turo, Age restrictions:

When you book a car with one of our person-to-person hosts, we’ll charge a "Young Driver Fee." The fee is either 30% of the trip price or up to $15* per day, whichever is greater. We charge this fee as part of your total trip cost when you book your trip.
This could get pretty pricey. I’m not sure if hosts on Turo can refuse a rental or put their own age restrictions on the rental of their car. If they are able to do this I would never rent to you. No offense, but I remember what kind of a driver I was in my early 20s and there is absolutely no way I would have let 21 year old me drive my Model 3. Good luck in your quest though and safe drive here in the US.

I know that I'll have to pay the young driver fee, that's no problem.

Try frunkyea.com

I will. Thanks

I feel your pain. Because of my age, I've always had issues with rental companies and still do. Every single time, I had to use one of my parent's credentials with their consent and pretend to be them on Turo.

Heck, even the Tesla sales people refused to take me seriously at a local gallery and refused to let me test drive a Model S just because they thought I couldn't afford one. "That's a $70k car, you know". They finally caved in when they realized I already had an order for one. Same thing happened with the Model 3 and now rental companies after someone hit it while parked.

What part of the West coast are you going to be in? I might be willing to let you rent mine if near Los Angeles. I probably drive it just as crazy as you would.

Sent you a PM