Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me spec a P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Recently discovered tesla cars and I'm now trying to build a spec. This will be a UK car.

the base will be the p85d my spec is as follows

black solid paint
19" non cyclone wheels
next gen leather seats in black
black headlining
no roof
tech pack

im not sure about air suspension can anyone advise me how it changes the driving dynamics, is it worth it?

Wheel wise I'm thinking 19s will be a bit more compliant and easier to get winter tyres. I prefer the 4 spoke to the cyclone but for anyone who has seen both in flesh what do you think?

However only concern is what happens to traction on thr p85d with 19s vs 21s?

Love black but no matalic option? Saw white pearl and grey and still preferred black. Dislike how black will get dirty quickly and show every imperfection. Red is nice too so can't decide!

I opted for the black next gen chunky seats. Are they worth it as I hear the p85d has upgraded side bolster leather seats as standard.

Black leather, black paint, black trim and black headlining, is it going to look bit bland? I just am not a fan of beige.

Big big first post but thanks for reading!

Hi all

Recently discovered tesla cars and I'm now trying to build a spec. This will be a UK car.

the base will be the p85d my spec is as follows

black solid paint
19" non cyclone wheels
next gen leather seats in black
black headlining
no roof
tech pack

im not sure about air suspension can anyone advise me how it changes the driving dynamics, is it worth it?

Wheel wise I'm thinking 19s will be a bit more compliant and easier to get winter tyres. I prefer the 4 spoke to the cyclone but for anyone who has seen both in flesh what do you think?

Love black but no matalic option? Saw white pearl and grey and still preferred black. Dislike how black will get dirty quickly and show every imperfection. Red is nice too so can't decide!

I opted for the black next gen chunky seats. Are they worth it as I hear the p85d has upgraded side bolster leather seats as standard.

Black leather, black paint, black trim and black headlining, is it going to look bit bland? I just am not a fan of beige.

Big big first post but thanks for reading!
Tesla does not yet offer a convertible :)

19" wear out far slower than 21". And suspension worth it IMO and lets you not get stuck on high ground.

And welcome to the forums ..

Hahah oops I meant to say no sun roof

thanks for feedback on suspension

I assume the 21s compounds are softer too, but traction still good and not lacking on the 19s?

Welcome and congrats on deciding to purchase!

Since you are getting all wheel drive, there should be no traction issue with the 19 in. tires. Also the 4-spoke wheels vs. the Cyclone wheels is more a matter of preference, but I think the 4-spoke option looks great.

One comment on the air suspension, the ride is definitely smoother.

About the color, may be consider going with Carbon Fiber on the interior? Either that or go with a red exterior (since you also like that color), or both a red exterior and Carbon Fiber interior trim :smile:.

Pano roof advantages:
* more headroom
* allows you to add a roof rack in the future
* lets in more light (especially if open)
Pano roof disadvantages:
* noisier
* costs more

Air suspension, in addition to having a smoother ride, also allows you to raise the car height to avoid obstacles and to drive on rutted roads. The car can remember locations to raise the suspension--such as a driveway with a sharp change in pitch. You can also lower the car to lower wind resistance.

Hi all

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Congrats on getting ready to order.

Almost anything is easier to keep clean (looking) than a black car.
Best advise would be for you to go and see several real cars and then make your color decision based on what you have actually seen.
Photos are helpful, but looking at several cars in the full day light will seal the deal as to which color is right for you.

Be sure to look inside those cars, to see what color combinations might appeal to you.
There is a dove gray interior leather which is quite handsome if you think the black might be a bit bland and you don't care for the beige/tan.

And you haven't mentioned the dash.
There are several options beside the piano black, so also be on the lookout for what pleases your eye.
That same material is also on the tower between the front seats, under the arm rests.

I have taken a P85D Loaner out, and the Next Gen seats are far superior to my standard seats.
I am a bit tall, so the 1" rise difference might make a difference if you are over 6"-2" or so.
BUT, you could minimize that by adding the pano roof (instant additional headroom).

Air suspension aids you in multiple ways.
The Model S is a very long and low car.
An occasional extra inch or two upwards can avoid a scrape, and at highway speeds it lowers the car for better aerodynamics.
In my opinion, yes, it is worth it.

19s are the best as far as durability and longevity.
You will not regret 19s on your AWD car.
And that car can really track, almost as if it were on rails.
You will NOT lose traction with the AWD.
Everything gets transmitted to the ground.

Tech Package is a must on this car.

I look forward to hearing your final configuration after you have had a chance to see what other colors there are beside black.

Edging closer to a purchase!

Im still thinking for a final spec
P85D
black paint
next gen seats
solid roof (keep the weight down for speed and I don't use my current sunroof much)
19" wheels I just don't know whether to go with the stock 4 spoke or the 19" upgrades. Really undecided
air suspension
tech pack
(still undecided on which alcantra colour headlining to go for)
omeha (spelling) matte or carbon fibre dash trim

total cost £88,000

winter pack
dual chargers
not needed

premium interior upgrade not sure it's worth it

sound upgrade not sure it's worth it

So this really leaves which wheels to get, which look best? And the small dilemma of which matte interior and which colour alcantra to get for the headlining. I'm 80% there on the black paint, just wish it was matellic. I do like the blue and red and even the dark grey but I hunk black is still edging it for me. But I am suspetible to changing

I think you've thought through your options well.

Interior upgrade is strictly personal taste. There is also an option (not in the menu--you must talk to a person) of having a 100% no-leather interior (the vegan option).

Sound upgrade can be done later through 3rd party venders.

Wheels, again, are strictly personal taste, and you can always upgrade later through 3rd party venders. I've read that the cyclone style are slightly more aerodynamic, but I'm not sure if that is true. I think the aerodynamic differences will be slight. Another option not in the menu, and again you must talk to a person, is ordering Aero Wheels. This option was discontinued over a year ago, but Tesla still have a few dozen in stock. Most people seem to dislike the look, but they definitely are more aerodynamic.

Thanks to all the contributions, 1'week later I've decided and placed an order

p85d
black paint
black next gen seats
black alcantra headlining
tech pack
19" stock wheels
air suspension
intrusion alarm

I didn't upgrade the stereo so I hope I don't regret it, I've never been blown away by expensive in car sound upgrades so decided to pass this time.

Im still undecided on the pano roof, the demo car does look great with it from an interior prospective but I never use the sunroof on my other cars, or rarely do.

The one thing I feel like I'm playing safe is the colour. Practically I think I need black leather as I have children they spill stuff and I don't want to stain the lighter leather.

The exterior colour I feel Im playing safe. I saw a dark blue car and I thought it looked stunning but it was in the street and I didn't photo it or take it in enough to sway my decision. It was striking and I have no access to any other blue cars locally. So I ordered black.

I can live with skipping on the pano and sound but the blue vs black is really bugging me.

Ps I would be grateful if anyone could suggest anything I missed. I have a few days to change my mind on the spec. I added the intrusion alarm pack at the last minute, is this recommended or a gimmick?

Thanks!