Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Me Tesla Peers! Contemplating Trading/Selling 10 Day Old Model 3 AWD for Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please talk me out of this crazy idea...
I've been losing sleep over this dumb issue.
Bought the White Pearl LR AWD with 19 inch sports10 days ago, has about 600 miles on it. Love the car but a part of me is calling for the performance.
Haven't driven the Performance b/c I'm afraid I'll be too hooked.
Tesla offered a 45K for trade in, I paid 55K :(
Waiting for a quote from Carvana but thinking i'm going to be hosed either way.
I know i know i should've just bought it from the start. Please talk me out of this...
I dont want to live with regret but the financial difference...
ARGH
Drive it. It's calling you and you know it. AWD LR is already a lot faster than other cars out there already though. It depends on you though. Sounds like you like to have fun and life is short... Also resale values are high

I wouldn't bother IMO. When you get your next tesla get the performance version, awd is still a real nice car and 10k loss on top of taxes etc can go to other uses, not to mention the increased cost. Do you have solar?

The difference in off the line speed is significant. However, even my P3D feel slow these days after a test ride in my friends P100D. In the end the P3D is quick, but it's far from the fastest. Seems some ICE cars coming out next year will be faster for less money, like the C8 Corvette. Not to mention all the other cars that can already beat a model 3.

Another thing, I tend to get cut off by lots of BMW drivers on the highway in my performance 3, almost feels like I'm being targeted. Last time it was am M3 and an M4 that were driving like they were hot *sugar* in the carpool lane. In rush hour traffic too (there was a large truck or suv in front of me)...

Last edited:
I tend to get cut off by lots of BMW drivers on the highway in my performance 3, almost feels like I'm being targeted
Yup, me too. :( I've had a few BMW, Porsche, and American muscle car drivers really single me out, driving very aggressive, and sometimes downright dangerous.

One guy in a BMW 3 series was attempting to cut me off in a two-lanes-merge-to-one scenario. He was attempting to cut me off before his lane disappeared, after driving really aggressively around me earlier. When it became obvious that he wasn't going to make the cut off, he swerved directly toward my car. I hit my brakes. Apparently, he finally became aware that the outcome wasn't going to be good, and he hit his brakes, too. We both ended up at a dead stop right as the right lane ended. I looked over at him, smiled, and waved him ahead of me. He glared at me and took off at maximum acceleration. Just.... wow. I think it really angered him that I didn't let him anger me. Not giving them the salt that they want *really* gets this type of driver upset. :)

But back to being on topic.... It really is one of those situations where you need to decide what's going to be best for *you*. Are you going to be more upset taking the financial lost than the enjoyment the Performance car will give you, or will that sweet, sweet Performance experience take the sting out of it?

Sure, read the posts here in your thread, but in the end, you're the one that has to live with your decision. For once in my life, I'm actually *glad* that I listened to my wife. ;)

The used car market for 3s is crazy right now, people are overpaying for used models.

This I don't understand.

Elon has been cutting prices willy nilly and the price of brand new M3AWD with sport wheels is 48800 all included ( dest and fed tax credit) except tax/title. It is now available with <4 week wait. So why pay for someone's used car for 50K, or even 55K in the the case of OP. That is where he is going to lose money, not on upgrading from AWD to performance.

This I don't understand.

Elon has been cutting prices willy nilly and the price of brand new M3AWD with sport wheels is 48800 all included ( dest and fed tax credit) except tax/title. It is now available with <4 week wait. So why pay for someone's used car for 50K, or even 55K in the the case of OP. That is where he is going to lose money, not on upgrading from AWD to performance.
I suspect some are conflating sellers ASKING high prices with sellers GETTING high priced.

It is not good as an everyday driver, harsher susp/bad tire weare/tires that wear out in 10k miles/cannot swap for smaller wheels.
If you want the performance speed get a stealth p3d then modify it yourself.
This is my friends car with 8k miles on odo. Both rear tires like this. Tesla tells him there is no camber adjustment.
He drives a ton and regrets his decision every day.
Tirecord.jpg

I suspect some are conflating sellers ASKING high prices with sellers GETTING high priced.

I suspect that’s not the case. At all.

I don’t see stock aging on the market long at all.

Let’s face it - it’s a hot car and people will do irrational things to get it. There’s also a public perception that lead times are months or years, because it’s white-hot. It’s not to Tesla’s advantage to disabuse anyone of that notion.

They’re selling at those high prices.

Most recent sale on fleaBay. (Sold, not just listed or completed.) LR AWD, 5,000 miles, 19” wheels, Autopilot. $48,795

A brand new red, LR AWD, 19”, AP is $51,490. Minus $1875 fed tax credit = $49,615.

That’s a total of $820 depreciation for 5,000 miles used.

So, yeah - I’d say Model 3 is holding its value just fine.

39DD571D-5A41-492F-B53C-B25F041D3734.jpeg

Don’t switch. The performance is too fast. The car can’t handle it well. It’s Ferrari fast, but it’s not a Ferrari. I never floor it anymore, now that the novelty has worn off.
If you do get it, you have to spend another $3k on MPP coilovers.

Last edited:
Most recent sale on fleaBay. (Sold, not just listed or completed.) LR AWD, 5,000 miles, 19” wheels, Autopilot. $48,795

A brand new red, LR AWD, 19”, AP is $51,490. Minus $1875 fed tax credit = $49,615.

That’s a total of $820 depreciation for 5,000 miles used.

So, yeah - I’d say Model 3 is holding its value just fine.

View attachment 449766

This gives meaning to the phrase " There is a sucker born every minute". I can't imagine getting only $820 for 5000 miles used by someone else.

Reactions: dmurphy
This gives meaning to the phrase " There is a sucker born every minute". I can't imagine getting only $820 for 5000 miles used by someone else.

Agreed, but consider these scenarios ...
- Someone REALLY wants a silver (which Tesla doesn't sell anymore)
- I want to pick it up TODAY (again, the perception that lead times are horrendous)
- I had too much tequila last night
- "But daddy, I want an Oompa Loompa NOW!"
- My lease is up, I can't wait for a car to be built, need something right away and want a Model 3
- I don't know anything about (or don't qualify for) the Fed tax credit, so it looks like a better bargain. ($48,795 vs. $51,490)
- Simply, I can't do math ...

For myself, dmurphynj -- I wouldn't buy it either, but there are plenty of folks who don't do copious homework before buying a car, either.

"Me see hot car. Me want hot car. Me find hot car on eBay. Me buy hot car."

• Funny
Reactions: JasonR67 and Kamban
Is there no possibility to upgrade to Base Performance version? I heard it costs around $2000 only.
Try with service center if it is possible. Because this thing only needs software updation and tesla says the the physical components will be of performance qualified but I have not seen anyone confirming what is actually changed in M3 other than software.
In Europe, this is perhaps not possible after delivery since one need CoC after such modificaiton.

I also ordered M3 AWD and expecting it at end of sep and spending extra for performance version, and then later for winter tyres just seem too much for me.

...Another thing, I tend to get cut off by lots of BMW drivers on the highway in my performance 3, almost feels like I'm being targeted....
Very much doubt it is because it is a Performance since it is hard for even us who know the difference to spot the difference on the road. Very unlikely that many drivers of other cars know or could identify a Performance from a SR+ (with 19"). Unless they were parked next to each other and allowed to walk around and look for differences.

The PD3- muddies the differences even more.

Very much doubt it is because it is a Performance since it is hard for even us who know the difference to spot the difference on the road. Very unlikely that many drivers of other cars know or could identify a Performance from a SR+ (with 19"). Unless they were parked next to each other and allowed to walk around and look for differences.

Agree. The red underline is so small no one can tell when you are moving. The wheel size is hard to tell since the 19s and 20s look pretty much the same. The spoiler is pretty nonchalant and the calipers need to be viewed dead from the side to tell they are red. No way a non Tesla owner has a clue what version they are cutting off. It probably just easy to do because we are on AP and the system is conservative.

Agree. The red underline is so small no one can tell when you are moving. The wheel size is hard to tell since the 19s and 20s look pretty much the same. The spoiler is pretty nonchalant and the calipers need to be viewed dead from the side to tell they are red. No way a non Tesla owner has a clue what version they are cutting off. It probably just easy to do because we are on AP and the system is conservative.

It's not a matter of them singling out the Performance cars, just Teslas in general.

There is a youtuber I actually respect who has a channel called Engineering Explained. Here is a helpful video he posted explaining why he himself upgraded from a mid-range model 3 to a performance. And no, he did not get any special treatment from Tesla. He had to pay out of pocket and eat the depreciation. He gives a great explanation as to why he felt the performance was worth the hassle and expense.

Bottom line, as someone else mentioned, if you can afford it, do it. If you can't afford it, then don't .

Here is a link to the video:

• Love
Reactions: Phlier
Don’t do it. You’ll get used to the performance acceleration too. It’s a never ending cycle...I bought a sleeper 3p and am always curious how much faster a p100d or raven performance model s is (not that I could afford either yet).
THIS RIGHT HERE! I've gotten used to my P3D- and how so damn fast it is that I never fully open lay into the go pedal, because I know it'll just leave everything in its dust. But like you, I wonder how much faster or better a S or X P100DL is....

There is a youtuber I actually respect who has a channel called Engineering Explained. Here is a helpful video he posted explaining why he himself upgraded from a mid-range model 3 to a performance. And no, he did not get any special treatment from Tesla. He had to pay out of pocket and eat the depreciation. He gives a great explanation as to why he felt the performance was worth the hassle and expense.

Bottom line, as someone else mentioned, if you can afford it, do it. If you can't afford it, then don't .

Here is a link to the video:

His was a bit different in going from a RWD unit to a Performance. He got a much bigger increase. In general I dont think you'll get enough value going from AWD to a Performance, but given the crazy low price, and if you can find one, upgrading to an inventory P- would be a good way to get the performance you want with a great cost of entry.

Reactions: Glamisduner