Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me to decide: M3 LR or MY LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model Y for all practical reasons.
Hi everyone,

Each day I'm more convinced to replace my ICE vehicle with a Tesla... the big question for me now is between the M3 or MY.

I just test drove the M3, I loved it...and will schedule to test drive the MY sometime next week.

Beside the price difference between the M3 LR vs. MY LR (around $4K).... what's are the reasons for you to decide the MY over the M3 ??? Pros, cons., life experience... I really appreciate your comments...thx

When will this happen ??? They said that the diversity would by October, but I told them I was holding until December since I'm expecting some extra money and I want give it as downpayment...
Giga Texas is still under construction, but they can start making cars as early as end of this year since the site is almost 70% complete. It totally depends on when they can start the production, but the Model Y will be the first model that will be produced out of Giga Texas site. So, my uneducated guess is very end of December or early January.

Giga Texas is still under construction, but they can start making cars as early as end of this year since the site is almost 70% complete. It totally depends on when they can start the production, but the Model Y will be the first model that will be produced out of Giga Texas site. So, my uneducated guess is very end of December or early January.
As with any new production line and especially with major changes it’s bound to be a while, many months I expect, before all the processes are refined and bugs worked out. So IMO anyone waiting for a superior MY to consistently be rolling off the line will have quite a while to wait yet, if ever for that matter. Will the finished product be significantly better and enough for it to be worth the wait? Only time will tell but there’s an opportunity cost for waiting in the meantime - just my thoughts…

As with any new production line and especially with major changes it’s bound to be a while, many months I expect, before all the processes are refined and bugs worked out. So IMO anyone waiting for a superior MY to consistently be rolling off the line will have quite a while to wait yet, if ever for that matter. Will the finished product be significantly better and enough for it to be worth the wait? Only time will tell but there’s an opportunity cost for waiting in the meantime - just my thoughts…
Tesla will pump out cars with less than ideal QC. They will not wait until they perfect the QC and/or manufacturing process as we are seeing and experiencing it today.

Hi everyone,

Each day I'm more convinced to replace my ICE vehicle with a Tesla... the big question for me now is between the M3 or MY.

I just test drove the M3, I loved it...and will schedule to test drive the MY sometime next week.

Beside the price difference between the M3 LR vs. MY LR (around $4K).... what's are the reasons for you to decide the MY over the M3 ??? Pros, cons., life experience... I really appreciate your comments...thx
I started at the same point. Test drove both and ended up with the Y for the extra space - this will be our car camping vehicle and well as my commuter car. If we get a 2nd Tesla, we'd get a 3 and it would be my wife's commuter car, since we would already have the cargo car. Everyone else summarized good reasons to pick the Y - adults in back seat a lot, trailer or bike rack, etc.

Reactions: Gadget63
For the first time ever, I leased a car--my 2019 M3 LR rear driver. I've been very happy with this car. My lease matures in April, 2022, and my bad for not checking the fine print on the lease, but there is no option available on this model to buy out the car at the end of the lease. I must relinquish it.

So . . . I'm looking into replacing it with a new M3 or MY. I test drove the MY yesterday. I like the higher seats which make getting in and out of the car easier than the M3, and I'm not getting any younger. The LR models only come with AWD now. I will say that acceleration is noticeably quicker than with the rear drive only models, fixing a problem that didn't exist, as my M3 is plenty quick. Otherwise, the handling was almost exactly the same as my M3. The two models are built on the same platform, after all.

I've read this thread with interest as I'm trying to decide which model to get. Lead times are getting long, especially on the MY. I need to decide now so I can have the new car delivered when my lease matures.

Most of my driving is around town mixed city and highway. The current MY LR has the same range as my current M3 LR. The new M3 LR has a greater range now. More range is always great, but ~326 miles on the MY would be just fine. The additional cargo capacity on the MY is very impressive, though it's one of those "when you need it you need it" features. I'm not frequently in need of that much hauling space. The main difference is the lack of a sill behind the rear seats on the MY.

The M3 has prettier lines IMO. It's less expensive than the MY, too. I think the MY has some newer tech like the heat pump than the M3 right now.

This thread has helpful info especially from those of you who have or had both models. I'm leaning towards the MY at this point.

As a model 3 owner (2021) buying another model 3 (2022), I'd buy a model 3 ;)

I'm older and would appreciate the ease of entry/exit of the Y, But....

Looks...the 3 is OK, the Y is just strange (subjective) we actually don't like either (wife wants the S)...
Driving dynamics, 'fuel' consumption (range) - 3 all day.
The 3 handles the cargo of our $1000 costco trips, but only with the two of us.
Any other large items I pay for delivery, with money saved on the purchase price and energy - of course!

Towing - I added a hitch and wiring to the 3 and it tows great (lighter loads under 2k lbs. is all we have done) As a former Ford F350 diesel owner, I have owned and towed everything - our boat is no longer able to be towed (too big and heavy, annual haul outs are done by tractor trailer and labor by others!) My heavy towing days are over. Buy a bigger boat with the left over money ;-)

We made a decision to cover 98% of our driving needs (space) and not haul around an empty car for the 2% needs. I works fine, but does take adjustment.

For the first time ever, I leased a car--my 2019 M3 LR rear driver. I've been very happy with this car. My lease matures in April, 2022, and my bad for not checking the fine print on the lease, but there is no option available on this model to buy out the car at the end of the lease. I must relinquish it.

So . . . I'm looking into replacing it with a new M3 or MY. I test drove the MY yesterday. I like the higher seats which make getting in and out of the car easier than the M3, and I'm not getting any younger. The LR models only come with AWD now. I will say that acceleration is noticeably quicker than with the rear drive only models, fixing a problem that didn't exist, as my M3 is plenty quick. Otherwise, the handling was almost exactly the same as my M3. The two models are built on the same platform, after all.

I've read this thread with interest as I'm trying to decide which model to get. Lead times are getting long, especially on the MY. I need to decide now so I can have the new car delivered when my lease matures.

Most of my driving is around town mixed city and highway. The current MY LR has the same range as my current M3 LR. The new M3 LR has a greater range now. More range is always great, but ~326 miles on the MY would be just fine. The additional cargo capacity on the MY is very impressive, though it's one of those "when you need it you need it" features. I'm not frequently in need of that much hauling space. The main difference is the lack of a sill behind the rear seats on the MY.

The M3 has prettier lines IMO. It's less expensive than the MY, too. I think the MY has some newer tech like the heat pump than the M3 right now.

This thread has helpful info especially from those of you who have or had both models. I'm leaning towards the MY at this point.
The Model 3 now comes with a heat pump, heated steering wheel just like the Model Y.

326 miles is just the EPA estimate. Real world range will be less, perhaps 15% less.

• Helpful
Reactions: house9
Thanks. Two more questions:
Did any of you with MYs have problems with fit and finish upon delivery or shortly thereafter?
I read that Tesla took out the radar from the front end of the MY, disabling a couple of features like emergency braking and lane control assistance. Do you know anything about this, and when these features may be turned on again?

Tesla fit and finish problems are well documented, and to be expected at this point in their quality journey. It's just something you have to be ok with, and have a willingness to sort of just pummel the local service center until they become satisfactory. At the end of the day though, it's a car. Cars are going to patina--get lived in. They will all have issues.

Ask yourself what's most important to you in a car. Functionally, Tesla blows away anything else available on the market right now at the 3/Y price points (unless you tow stuff, then I'd stick with ICE for now). If having 1mm panel gaps is the most important thing to you, I guess get something else.