Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me understand AP/NoAP behavior driving 290 between Houston <-> Austin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do this drive fairly regularly and AP's behavior pisses me off to no end. Hopefully some of y'all can help explain NoAP/AP's behavior on this route so that I can realign my expectations and/or understand why it's doing what it's doing, so that maybe I can help avoid some of the situations.

• Heading to Austin on 290, prior to the Giddings SC, AP is goddamn mess in the left lane. It's constantly trying to drive me off the road into those left turn lanes and if it try to stop it, AP disengages (which is to be expected). The drive after the Giddings SC is far more composed for some reason, despite having the same left turn lanes popping up. Can I do anything to avoid this, other than getting stuck behind slow traffic in the right lane/constantly weaving lanes?
  • What's the logic between when a route is eligible for AP vs NoAP with FSD? Given that my Houston <-> Austin is literally just a straight shot on 290, I don't understand why it'll switch back and forth between AP and NoAP on the same road, with seemingly no major landmarks indicating the shift.
  • Why does AP suddenly, and seemingly randomly, drop to only being able to do +5MPH over the speed limit for Autosteer?
  • Is there a way to tell when autosteer is restricted to just +5MPH, and when it can go above, other than just manually trying to increase its set speed?
  • On the way back from Austin -> Houston on 290: When we break out into the larger 3-lane portion of 290, I get a LOT of failed lane changes on NoAP. But that same section of 290 going Houston -> Austin doesn't have any issues. Any thoughts on why?

Is the i10/71 path better with AP than 290? Because I'm more than willing to eat the extra few minutes on the trip if AP behaves better on that route.

Not on FSD, but Autosteer is limited to 5mph over when there is no median between both sides, even if there are multiple lanes on either side. I'm not sure but I'm guessing NoAP may have the same limitation.

The left line hugging is a function of the entrance to the left turn lanes being to long before the line appears again. I did that route last weekend going in the opposite direction, and didn't have the same issue, but I have encountered that same issue with other roads. It may be that the Houston to Austin side has more entrance length to the left turn lane than the Austin to Houston side.

Reactions: Billstickers
I do this drive fairly regularly and AP's behavior pisses me off to no end. Hopefully some of y'all can help explain NoAP/AP's behavior on this route so that I can realign my expectations and/or understand why it's doing what it's doing, so that maybe I can help avoid some of the situations.

• Heading to Austin on 290, prior to the Giddings SC, AP is goddamn mess in the left lane. It's constantly trying to drive me off the road into those left turn lanes and if it try to stop it, AP disengages (which is to be expected). The drive after the Giddings SC is far more composed for some reason, despite having the same left turn lanes popping up. Can I do anything to avoid this, other than getting stuck behind slow traffic in the right lane/constantly weaving lanes?
  • What's the logic between when a route is eligible for AP vs NoAP with FSD? Given that my Houston <-> Austin is literally just a straight shot on 290, I don't understand why it'll switch back and forth between AP and NoAP on the same road, with seemingly no major landmarks indicating the shift.
  • Why does AP suddenly, and seemingly randomly, drop to only being able to do +5MPH over the speed limit for Autosteer?
  • Is there a way to tell when autosteer is restricted to just +5MPH, and when it can go above, other than just manually trying to increase its set speed?
  • On the way back from Austin -> Houston on 290: When we break out into the larger 3-lane portion of 290, I get a LOT of failed lane changes on NoAP. But that same section of 290 going Houston -> Austin doesn't have any issues. Any thoughts on why?

Is the i10/71 path better with AP than 290? Because I'm more than willing to eat the extra few minutes on the trip if AP behaves better on that route.
It is because that section of highway was under construction recently, with several detours and re-routes that were in place when the last map update took place. The car navigates partly by sight and partly by the digital maps. The map info just hasn't caught up to reality yet.

I haven't travelled that route all the way to Houston for over a year but the section on 290 from Waller to Hwy 6 used to do the same thing for the same reason.

Also I-35 between Waco and Belton. Trouble in both directions but Southbound is worse.

Reactions: Twiglett
I do this trip pretty regularly and have found it to be as you say.
As @XHabjab says, the road has seemingly been under construction for years so its been something of a moving target for the car.
One thing I noticed when using the nav is that it keeps telling to "turn right onto 290" while I'm driving along. It took me a while to notice that its always on the newer road sections where the road is much wider that it used to be. It went from four lanes with no divider to a full divided highway.
That just means its got more restrictions than the new road type should have - they will updated it.
Earlier software versions would keep dropping the speed to 35 in what should be a 65 to 70 - thankfully that has been much better since 2021.4.21.3
Last time I drove that route it was on that release and it was much improved.
Also helps that on the newer sections they have marked those exit ramp with the extra broken lines so the car doesn't keep using them.

Hey there @fetar30310 has your car had updates since your post? I ask because some things seem to have improved on the recent drives I've made after getting 2021.24.x.
It still keeps telling me to turn right onto 290 when heading east, but the section from Giddings to Austin has got better for me.
Although I did notice if I take the 95 route for a change, that seems to have relearned some of the incorrect speed limits again. I submitted bug reports for them again.

Hey there @fetar30310 has your car had updates since your post? I ask because some things seem to have improved on the recent drives I've made after getting 2021.24.x.
It still keeps telling me to turn right onto 290 when heading east, but the section from Giddings to Austin has got better for me.
Although I did notice if I take the 95 route for a change, that seems to have relearned some of the incorrect speed limits again. I submitted bug reports for them again.
I haven't noticed any major improvements, but I'll pay more attention on my drive later this week.