Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me understand kWh charging = miles for MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
I am trying to understand mpg [ICE] vs Kwh for the EVs.

Since home wall charger is back ordered I will have to use charge point chargers and/or super chargers. I will commute between 2 cities, leaving Monday am and returning Friday evening. My total drive for this 5 day trip [every week] is roughly 200 miles.

Will I be able to get away with doing 80% charge on a supercharger once a week?

I read online about roughly 5kwh you get with charge point chargers. There are quiet a few of them near where I will be living during the week. But I do not know how many miles I will get if used one of these [level 2] chargers per hour?

I hope I am asking the question correctly. Thanks for helping me understand the kwh [mpg] concept.

try using this chart for your charging time.
Picture1.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Hi

Since home wall charger is back ordered I will have to use charge point chargers and/or super chargers. I will commute between 2 cities, leaving Monday am and returning Friday evening. My total drive for this 5 day trip [every week] is roughly 200 miles.

I read online about roughly 5kwh you get with charge point chargers. There are quiet a few of them near where I will be living during the week. But I do not know how many miles I will get if used one of these [level 2] chargers per hour?

I hope I am asking the question correctly. Thanks for helping me understand the kwh [mpg] concept.

Quick examples to induct you to battery thinking:

• Your battery capacity is roughly 75kWh. That means 75,000W*h. That means the battery can output 200 horsepower (~150kW) for half an hour straight. (75kwh/150kw = 0.5h)
  • Superchargers charge at ~50-250kW. Let's say the rate is 50kW. That means in 1.5 hours (50kW * 1.5h = 75kW*h), you will completely fill the battery.
  • If you use a Level 2 charger of 22kW for 1 hour, 22*1 = 22kwh... and 22/75 = ~29% of your battery filled.
  • If you have homecharger that does 240V*32A=7700W, then in 10 hours you fill the battery 7700W*10h= 77000W*h

Practical points:

You wouldn't want to run the battery close to empty. That is harmful to battery health. You want to maintain it above 20,30,40% when resting.

You shouldnt wait to near empty and then visit a supercharger. In everyday life, particularly for other non-Tesla, people charge when they have the opportunity to -- in public garages, at shopping malls, at grocery stores, etc.

Reactions: hurleyguy
Quick examples to induct you to battery thinking:

• Your battery capacity is roughly 75kWh. That means 75,000W*h. That means the battery can output 200 horsepower (~150kW) for half an hour straight. (75kwh/150kw = 0.5h)
  • Superchargers charge at ~50-250kW. Let's say the rate is 50kW. That means in 1.5 hours (50kW * 1.5h = 75kW*h), you will completely fill the battery.
  • If you use a Level 2 charger of 22kW for 1 hour, 22*1 = 22kwh... and 22/75 = ~29% of your battery filled.
  • If you have homecharger that does 240V*32A=7700W, then in 10 hours you fill the battery 7700W*10h= 77000W*h

Practical points:

You wouldn't want to run the battery close to empty. That is harmful to battery health. You want to maintain it above 20,30,40% when resting.

You shouldnt wait to near empty and then visit a supercharger. In everyday life, particularly for other non-Tesla, people charge when they have the opportunity to -- in public garages, at shopping malls, at grocery stores, etc.
Thank you.

Hi

Didn’t you get a charging cable with the car? Why do you need a wall charger?

Didn’t you get a charging cable with the car? Why do you need a wall charger?
I will be picking up the car this friday. There will be a home/travel charger but I do not have a NEMA 15-40 outlet. Even if I put one in, the cost for a NEMA adapter is $220 [Tesla stopped giving the NEMA adapter, we have to now buy them]. So if I have to wire my garage, I might as well go big and use the wall charger which is only $300 more. And apparently the NEMA outlets now have to have a ground fault circuit interrupter to meet code. Apparently the breaker with the GFC costs an additional $150 and still uses only 50 amp breaker, where as the wall charger uses 60 amp breakers and can charge up to 48 amps. So for a few extra hundred dollars why not go with the wall charger.

Also for other newbies like me this post from before made some sense. The charge point chargers usually are 6.6 kw chargers. So in lay mans terms:

You get roughly 3 miles per hour of charging per 1KW charger capacity. So a 6.6 KW charge point charger can theoretically charge your car up to 18 miles for one hour of charging.

Please correct me if I am wrong. So if the charge point charger, charges you $1 per hour of use and is a 6.6 kw charger you pay $1 for roughly 18 miles of driving.

the cost for a NEMA adapter is $220 [Tesla stopped giving the NEMA adapter, we have to now buy them].

I dont think this is correct. I purchased the adapter to allow my mobile charger to use a 14-50 outlet for $35 from the Tesla store directly. I had it in two days. I had my local electrician put in a a Nema 14-50 outlet, 40amp breaker for about $300. So all in all, $335 was my total cost. My run was about 25 feet, so the cable was a bit more than typical, but I would imagine most installations being around that same price.

For a wall charger, the costs are generally the same, except add $500 instead of $35. So you are now up to about $800 for an install.

I only see three reasons to go with a wall connector.
1. You have an extra $500 to "invest" in your car.
2. You have more than one Tesla in your garage and using not only one but two wall connectors allow you to share a 50amp circuit for overnight charging.
3. They just look cool.

I have been using my mobile connector along with the $35 adapter for a month now, with zero issues.
That said, I am going to install a wall connector because my wife loves my MY so much, she has ordered one for herself. So I will be use option two above soon.

• Helpful
I dont think this is correct. I purchased the adapter to allow my mobile charger to use a 14-50 outlet for $35 from the Tesla store directly. I had it in two days. I had my local electrician put in a a Nema 14-50 outlet, 40amp breaker for about $300. So all in all, $335 was my total cost. My run was about 25 feet, so the cable was a bit more than typical, but I would imagine most installations being around that same price.

For a wall charger, the costs are generally the same, except add $500 instead of $35. So you are now up to about $800 for an install.

I only see three reasons to go with a wall connector.
1. You have an extra $500 to "invest" in your car.
2. You have more than one Tesla in your garage and using not only one but two wall connectors allow you to share a 50amp circuit for overnight charging.
3. They just look cool.

I have been using my mobile connector along with the $35 adapter for a month now, with zero issues.
That said, I am going to install a wall connector because my wife loves my MY so much, she has ordered one for herself. So I will be use option two above soon.
Thanks. But this is a Gen 2 adapter. Gen 3 NEMA adapter is $220. What is the difference. I am confused now. I thought the new MY is Gen 3 and not Gen 2. Thanks.

The "gen 3" connector is for the wall outlet. The gen 3 includes wireless network (well, connecting to your home network as I understand). The $220 is still gen 2 connectors but included the entire pack of nema adapters. You do not need more than the 14-50 unless you have more charging options that you may want to chose from. Honestly the Supercharging network on the road, the 14-50 at home, and the included J1722 adapter (for when there is no SC) will cover you 95% of the time. Even an extra mobile connector is Gen 2 and that is what is included in your car. You do not need "gen 3". The nema adapters and current mobile connectors are "gen 2".

• Informative
Thanks. But this is a Gen 2 adapter. Gen 3 NEMA adapter is $220. What is the difference. I am confused now. I thought the new MY is Gen 3 and not Gen 2. Thanks.
It sounds like you are confusing the gen 2 mobile connector (aka UMC) with the gen 3 wall connector (aka HPWC).

The 14-50 adapter that @SEndicott mentioned can be plugged into the mobile connector that comes with the car. As @SEndicott stated, you can then use a 14-50 outlet with that adapter. Actually, you could use any of the gen 2 mobile connector adapters with corresponding outlet. The 14-50 is just the most common one used by Tesla owners.

• Informative
On Tesla store - Gen 2 NEMA adapter bundle (presently sold out) for $220. You can also buy 14-50 adapter alone for $35. I just bought one yesterday to use when camping. Since I travel so much for work, I didn’t want to pack the mobile charger every time I leave for a trip. My options were to just pack it, get a second mobile charger, or get a wall charger. The installation was a little cheaper for the wall charger than for the 14-50, so all together it cost about $200 more. Now when my Cybertruck comes, I will be set up!

But do we need a GFC breaker if we use the NEMA 15-40 outlet? One Tesla certified electrician is saying that it is the new code to install a GFCI 50 amp breaker [not the regular breaker] and that this cost like $100 to $150. Is this true??
Please stop saying 15-40. It's a 14-50.
But yes, that was part of the update to National Electric Code in the 2017 version. Any outlet installed for the purpose of charging an electric vehicle now does require a GFCI breaker, which are annoyingly expensive. With wall connectors, there is not that risk of shock from people plugging and unplugging--all the wires are covered. So code doesn't require the GFCI breakers for that, so yes, you are right that it would be an extra $100+ or whatever doing the outlet that the wall connector wouldn't have. I am very glad that I got my 14-50 put in several years ago before that GFCI requirement was added.

And you really don't need that entire pack of all of the adapters for $220. Most people only find need for maybe 2 or 3 of them.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I will commute between 2 cities, leaving Monday am and returning Friday evening.
My total drive for this 5 day trip [every week] is roughly 200 miles.

I don't think its going to matter much how fast your home charging setup is, I think you can get close to 150 miles of range added using just 110 plug over the weekend (220 is better option for sure), but regardless of miles driven you are going to have additional loss during the week when you are away from home:

- Sentry Mode (can be turned off if you want)
- Cabin overheat protection (can be turned off if you want)
- Range loss due to cold weather during the winter months
- EPA rating of the vehicle does not reflect real life use in most cases

I personally would charge to 95% before leaving Monday morning and plan on SuperCharging at least once during the week or better yet can you plugin at night where you stay during the week? Or maybe there is public charging near your work place?

Make sure you have regeneration on normal and your acceleration in chill mode. Since you sound like you are micromanaging your energy usage, this will help you conserve energy. Keep climate adjustments to less than extreme settings as well until you have more convenient charging options.

• Love
Reactions: Rocdude
Please stop saying 15-40. It's a 14-50.
But yes, that was part of the update to National Electric Code in the 2017 version. Any outlet installed for the purpose of charging an electric vehicle now does require a GFCI breaker, which are annoyingly expensive. With wall connectors, there is not that risk of shock from people plugging and unplugging--all the wires are covered. So code doesn't require the GFCI breakers for that, so yes, you are right that it would be an extra $100+ or whatever doing the outlet that the wall connector wouldn't have. I am very glad that I got my 14-50 put in several years ago before that GFCI requirement was added.

And you really don't need that entire pack of all of the adapters for $220. Most people only find need for maybe 2 or 3 of them.
Lol.. sorry it is 14-50 [For a lay person it was close enough.. :0 ]