Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me understand the rationale behind on/off with doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the life of me I cant figure out this on/off with the door thing. To the point that I wonder if all my sensors are working properly? So, because it's 120 degrees in the car, I turn the AC on while walking to the car. Great. If the passenger gets in, the AC keeps going, until they shut the door. BOOM, car (and AC) turn off. Damn. Touch the screen, car and AC come back on. Rear occupant gets in, when they shut their door, BOOM, car turns off. Damn. Touch the screen, car and AC come back on. Driver finally gets in, when they shut the door, AC turns off, but car stays on and AC restart automatically! So, I hope someone can explain whats going on....although, regardless, I can't imagine this is desired behavior!

• Informative
Reactions: T-Will and Pkmmte
I dont have my car yet but sounds like a dumb behavior. I would first off send a feature request to Tesla telling them you want to be able to have AC stay on.
I wonder if it has to do with the "overheat protection" mode being turned off in your car? not sure. maybe another owner has some ideas for you.

It has something to do with not detecting someone in the driver's seat. Definitely an annoying occurrence especially when the driver is not in the car while passengers are staying behind.

"It's not a bug, it's a feature."

For the life of me I cant figure out this on/off with the door thing. To the point that I wonder if all my sensors are working properly? So, because it's 120 degrees in the car, I turn the AC on while walking to the car. Great. If the passenger gets in, the AC keeps going, until they shut the door. BOOM, car (and AC) turn off. Damn. Touch the screen, car and AC come back on. Rear occupant gets in, when they shut their door, BOOM, car turns off. Damn. Touch the screen, car and AC come back on. Driver finally gets in, when they shut the door, AC turns off, but car stays on and AC restart automatically! So, I hope someone can explain whats going on....although, regardless, I can't imagine this is desired behavior!

TL;dr

What exactly is the problem? I got lost amidst all the BOOMs

I guess the car wants the driver to be in the car first. There is a lot of annoying things about this car when there is no one sitting in the driver's seat.

Still better than 90% of the other cars you can buy. The driver has to get in and start the vehicle to get the AC running in everything else I’ve ever owned. Of course I’ve owned other cars where you can pre cool via app or pressing buttons on the fob. But it is almost the same as using the phone app to me.

Still better than 90% of the other cars you can buy. The driver has to get in and start the vehicle to get the AC running in everything else I’ve ever owned. Of course I’ve owned other cars where you can pre cool via app or pressing buttons on the fob. But it is almost the same as using the phone app to me.
Fair, but with power comes great responsibility ....

Let’s say you have a backpack in your front passenger seat and leave the car. You want your car to run with the A/C on all the time?
I get what you are saying and it’s simple in other cars as you just leave the car running. But there is no on/off in a Tesla, so this is the way it works. It’s a feature and probably nothing that will change soon. But I suppose you could press a button on the screen that says leave on for x minutes. That would work. And there is something coming soon about party/camping mode that may assist here

Let’s say you have a backpack in your front passenger seat and leave the car. You want your car to run with the A/C on all the time?
I get what you are saying and it’s simple in other cars as you just leave the car running. But there is no on/off in a Tesla, so this is the way it works. It’s a feature and probably nothing that will change soon. But I suppose you could press a button on the screen that says leave on for x minutes. That would work. And there is something coming soon about party/camping mode that may assist here
If I'm pre-cooling (I've used the app to turn on A/C at a desired temperature), and I walk to the car and open the door to put my kid in, I expect the A/C will continue to run after I shut the door. Because I have 2 kids. And that means I have to get the second kid in and strapped in too. I also have to load the groceries. I will get my kids in and buckled before I put the groceries in, and as long as my phone is within range of the car, that A/C should continue to run!