Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me understand the streaming music service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my hot red Model S yesterday (In praise of an excellent order and delivery service - Nashville) and, while driving home, I thought I would see what the music streaming was like—something I have never had access to before, so I hope you will forgive my naivete.

So I tried "Play Jim Croce". And, as expected, it started playing a Jim Croce song, which it labeled as belonging to the "Jim Croce channel". Then it next played a song by someone else, claiming it was still on the "Jim Croce channel". Then two more by other non-Croce artists, all the while claiming that it was playing from the "Jim Croce channel". So, one out of four songs was by Jim Croce. Though it finally did play another song by him, I was left wondering what a "Jim Croce channel" means if it only one out of four songs is actually by the artist that channel is labeled for.

Is there someone who can explain to me why:
1) When I ask to play songs by one artist, it plays (even more) songs by not-that-artist?
2) Why a channel named for an artist, plays (even more) songs by not-that-artist?
3) How I can play only songs by a specified artist?

The Slacker radio plan that Tesla uses is a middle plan that has no ads, but no playlists or full album plays. When you request an artist, it will play that artist and similar artists. If you want to play full albums or have your own playlist, you can subscribe to their Premium plan, and then use that login in your Tesla

Also note that if you ask for a specific song and it finds it and plays, it will not play that song again for about a day, even if you ask for it again. That will burn you every time if you are showing off the system to others.