Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me understand the UK Tesla market

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the payment I thought I could buy with my savings, is it a good option ?

No personal experience or knowledge, but because you are not a UK national I think that may be better - i.e. finance might be complicated / more expensive for you in UK.

But you could get a quote for finance and see what they say (and compare by asking here what us "locals" are being offered :) )

try Direct Line too, they're not on the comparison sites so you need to go to their website, they have been less expensive for a lot of people.
Isn't that a bit of a marketing gimmick though really?
DL own Churchill who give very similar prices most of the time in my experience and are on the comparison sites. Though if Churchill are in the ball park after comparison I normally to go DL as well to see if they are any better.

Pretty much. Like Aviva and Quote me Happy. Same company, one appeals to people who like the 'we're not on comparison sites' line, and the other is for the rest.

Of course once you get to the underwriter level (which is where the decisions are really made) there aren't actually that many different companies really. When Admiral were the only insurer quoting for the model Y it still came up with 15 results in comparison sites from their sub-brands.

try Direct Line too, they're not on the comparison sites so you need to go to their website, they have been less expensive for a lot of people.
I've tried some of the comparisons sites for a used model S (40 k value). The prices range is between 1300 and 2000 pounds depending on some parameters, I believe it is expensive...
All of you have a comprehensive insurance?

I will try direct line.

I wouldnt buy a second hand Tesla they are all incredibly overpriced at the moment. I would order a Model Y as after 2 months ownership, I believe it is the car that Tesla meant to build. I had 3 Model 3s and it is twice the car the Model 3 will ever be IMHO.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
I've noticed that some Sussex roads are a little narrow

This is true. I live in Kent, grew up in Sussex and still drive through the county fairly regularly.

We've had a Model X for five years, and whilst the car is massive, it's size has never caused a real problem. It's been inconvenient at times, and driving our smaller Renault Zoe is noticeably more comfortable when passing oncoming traffic on narrow roads, but it's never caused an issue like a collision or a situation where we had to change our route.

There are definitely multi-storey car parks where the entry/exit on a spiral ramp is nerve-wracking. Again, aside from bumping the alloys on the kerb a few times, there's never been a serious problem. I'm not very good at parking, and I've only ever had one issue with the size of the car, which was entirely my own fault.

In summary - I acknowledge your concern, and would reassure you as someone that's lived with a bigger car for five years, that it's a surmountable issue.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
I've tried some of the comparisons sites for a used model S (40 k value). The prices range is between 1300 and 2000 pounds depending on some parameters, I believe it is expensive...
All of you have a comprehensive insurance?

I will try direct line.
For someone coming to the country with zero no claims that's probably about right. As you have no driving history the risk is higher.

It may be worth phoning a few to see if they can accept your record from your current insurer to give you some discount. I've found Endsleigh insurance useful when I had a non-standard car. They might be able to help with a non-standard driver.

Hello everyone,

I'm new in this forum, I'm a former Tesla 3 owner from Switzerland relocating with my family (wife and 2 kids 7 and 1 year) in UK for approximately 3 years.

I had to sell my 2020 TM3 because the stirring was in the wrong side 😉. I was very pleased with my car (for me the only drawbacks were road noises and trunk).

Obviously I want to buy a Tesla but I find the TM3 pretty expensive in 2nd hand (compared to the Swiss market). So I'm hesitating between the TM3, TMY and TMS...

My main goal is getting a nice car that I would appreciate driving that would keep a good value when I sell it in 3 years.

I love the model S (the shape, the feeling) and could very much see myself in this big boat (S75D, S90D or even 100D from 2017 to 2018) but I've noticed that some Sussex roads are a little narrow and I'm afraid that my wife would have difficulties with the size and manoeuvrability.

I really appreciated the model 3 and drive it more that 50'000 km but I believe the price is very high in UK 2nd hand market, I'm afraid it will loose a great value in 3 years (and the space available could have been better).

I've never tried the Y but I believe it's a great car very similar to the 3 but bigger. The problem is that there is no 2nd hand market and new car is available from July to September...

Could you explain to me the UK Tesla market and share with me what is your opinion on the matter?

I have another demand, I don't understand the UK car insurance sector. Where should I ask for an offer. I've heard you need to ask in advance in order not being rob because your in a hurry... What covers do you have and what is the range of price?

If you think you can inform me of anything I should know feel free to to so I will be very grateful.

Thanks for u help

ps : please forgive me for my English
In relation to your Model S analysis, I think you're spot on.

The Model S is a bit too large for city driving (in London I can get through 7.0 ft width restrictions but I'd be really nervous with 6.7ft width restrictions).

Having said that, I think they are better cars than the Model 3 (even when comparing a 2018 MCU2 model with a new Model 3 due to the extra binnacle, hatchback boot, interior build quality and exterior styling).

Reactions: Soiz