Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

help me understand this "reservation" process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so I'm just thinking out loud here...not quite ready yet...but trying to wrap my head around this.

so right now I can select how many motors and FSD or not.
pay them $100

it says
"Fully refundable. You will be able to complete your configuration as production nears in late 2021. Dual Motor AWD production is expected in late 2021."

so for that $100, they will hold my price...which today for dual motor is $49,900 + $8k for FSD...is that correct?
then... some time later...maybe about a year from now, I will be notified to configure. So apparently there will be some other options that I can select....
perhaps interior color, tires, wheels, etc... Any of these will probably be some sort of adder I would think....
based on the other cars I'm guessing there won't be much to choose
or maybe I might change to a tri motor at whatever the price for it is at that time

So in late 2021, I'll get notified...but in browsing other discussions here, it seems that general consensus seems to be that I don't have to configure and trigger the order right away...I could likely hold tight, even say to mid 2022 for example to trigger my order....not that I understand why anyone would except perhaps to give time for initial production bugs to be worked out.... but still, I could wait some time before releasing the order that would be held at today's pricing....

is all that about right?
how long would they likely hold today's $49,900 + $8k pricing if I delayed?

Yes.

You pay $100 to reserve at today's price. That's what you both agree to.

You can choose to hold off on ordering as long as you'd like. They may call and ask why, but they will add you to a list for whatever it is you are waiting on. Example, I was holding off to lease the Model Y.

If the price changes, you either keep today's price OR you can "edit" your reservation and get the new price/features. That's what I did for the Model Y which got cheaper and added AP as standard after the unveiling and my preorder.