Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me with the math for a U-Haul trailer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About to embark on a move soon from NJ to GA to our new home. Since the moving company may arrive a few days after we performing closing and final walkthrough on our home, I am renting a 5x8' Cargo Trailer from U-Haul to take some temporary things like one of our queen beds, some musical gear, and a few precious items and TVs so we have them.

I do have the Tow Package on my Model Y (w/ 20" Inductions) and I haven't used it yet but did buy a Curt 2" hitch starter kit and 4-to-7 pin lighting adapter to use with the U-Haul trailer.

For some reason GVWR's, and tongue weights, and max loads, and this and that are confusing my brain. Looking for anyone who has rented their 5x8' (U-haul specs says Empty weight: 900 lbs.) and towed with their Model Y can simply let me know:
- The max weight I can put inside the trailer so I conform to safety and specs
- Did you have to mount the hitch in the drop or rise configuration to match up with the U-haul trailer coupling.

Much appreciated!

Max trailer weight is 3500lbs
Max tongue weight is 350lbs
So you can technically put 2600lbs into the trailer. But you should also take into account how many passengers you are carrying and how much weight is inside your car.

The hitch height will depend on the uhaul trailer. You will want to have it so the trailer is in a level position.

A uhaul trailer has very pour aerodynamics so you might not want to come too close to the max weight.

I hauled a small U-haul trailer cross-country behind a Ford Galaxie 500 in 1974. That car got about 17 mph highway mileage without the trailer. with the trailer, even though kept the speed down to about 45 mph because the configuration went unstable to fishtail at higher speeds, my mpg was about 12. This was in January 1974, when the post Yom Kippur War Oil Weapon gasoline shortage was high, so I was stopping to top up very frequently--not a lot over 100 miles.

I suppose Superchargers are pretty dense on most of your route, but you'll want to assume your range between Superchargers will be considerably reduced, especially if you maintain full highway speed as many U-Haul users seem to these days.

Good luck.

Not trailer related… but curious - are there superchargers along your route with drive-through stalls? I’ve seen a couple of Y’s charge, but they had to take up 4-5 stalls due to the length.

Also, any consideration for the CCS1 adapter so you can hit up EA’s stations (just in case)?

Not trailer related… but curious - are there superchargers along your route with drive-through stalls? I’ve seen a couple of Y’s charge, but they had to take up 4-5 stalls due to the length.

Also, any consideration for the CCS1 adapter so you can hit up EA’s stations (just in case)?

I used ABRP to plan an estimated route but haven't dug deep into the suggested stops to see what they are like... I'll probably take a closer look as the trip nears.

I haven't bought any extra adapters aside from what has been provided in the Mobile Connector kit. Over the months on this forum I heard those CCS1 adapters are hard to come by and expensive.. is that not the case anymore? I think a popular e-commerce site is EVSE?

I used ABRP to plan an estimated route but haven't dug deep into the suggested stops to see what they are like... I'll probably take a closer look as the trip nears.

I haven't bought any extra adapters aside from what has been provided in the Mobile Connector kit. Over the months on this forum I heard those CCS1 adapters are hard to come by and expensive.. is that not the case anymore? I think a popular e-commerce site is EVSE?
You buy it from Harum.io and it comes straight from South Korea. Very easy. EVSEAdapters is out of stock and costs more.

So you can technically put 2600lbs into the trailer. But you should also take into account how many passengers you are carrying and how much weight is inside your car.

The hitch height will depend on the uhaul trailer. You will want to have it so the trailer is in a level position.

A uhaul trailer has very pour aerodynamics so you might not want to come too close to the max weight.

the max trailer weight is something around 2,200 lbs for 20” wheels from Tesla. According to Tesla website a bike rack can be as much of 72 kg with bikes, whereas the 20” wheels limit it to 20kg with 5 occupants.

I rented the big uhaul trailer for work. 6x12, weighing in at 1800 pounds empty to put mattresses in for work to ship to a recycler . (I’m in Junk removal).

As you can see, the battery use is really high. Easily double the kWh on the uphill climb while loaded.

Attachments

• 94EA0397-739E-40A7-89BE-0D9E65F4252A.jpeg
    94EA0397-739E-40A7-89BE-0D9E65F4252A.jpeg
    847.9 KB · Views: 2,810
  • 6B559CB8-154A-4AD2-8355-DD31A3E953E0.jpeg
    6B559CB8-154A-4AD2-8355-DD31A3E953E0.jpeg
    762.8 KB · Views: 284
Has anyone else had success with towing a UHaul cargo trailer with MY? I am thinking of renting their largest, the 6' x 12': U-Haul Equipment specifications: 6' x 12' Cargo Trailer

We are taking delivery on Saturday, the MY will come with the tow hitch option, but I'm reading that it won't actually come with a ball hitch receiver, and that I need to make a Tesla Service Center appointment to get it installed? Or can I purchase an aftermarket one and install it myself?

Which ball hitch do people recommend for towing something like the 6x12? Is this going to be too heavy for the MY? I can see the trailer empty weighs 1920#, so in theory I can get 1580# loaded into the trailer, right?

Will I need to connect any kind of brake controller or light wiring harness?

Thanks in advance!

Check out the Rapid Hitch from Andersen Hitches:
It comes in 4-in, 6-in, 8-in, and 10-in lengths and is available for either 2-in receivers or 2.5-in receivers, accommodating various ball sizes and types.

If the U-Haul trailer sits at a low level, then the Rapid Hitch can help with that. If the U-Haul trailer sits higher than your hitch, then simply flip the Rapid Hitch upside down and reinsert it into your receiver and Bob’s your uncle!

Reactions: Trip McNealy
Check out the Rapid Hitch from Andersen Hitches:
It comes in 4-in, 6-in, 8-in, and 10-in lengths and is available for either 2-in receivers or 2.5-in receivers, accommodating various ball sizes and types.

If the U-Haul trailer sits at a low level, then the Rapid Hitch can help with that. If the U-Haul trailer sits higher than your hitch, then simply flip the Rapid Hitch upside down and reinsert it into your receiver and Bob’s your uncle!
That's really neat! Which drop hitch size is best for Model Y?

Reactions: THEbuz
That's really neat! Which drop hitch size is best for Model Y?
Unsure. My Model Y with tow hitch is coming DEC2022. I plan to get a Rapid Hitch from Andersen Hitches. Will circle back and REPLY here when I get my Rapid Hitch installed.

NOTE: If there is a Les Schwab tire center near you, then call and see if they sell the Rapid Hitch by Andersen Hitches. My local Les Schwab sells them, but I’m in Idaho and Andersen Manufacturing is a local Idaho company (so perhaps only Les Schwab locations in Idaho sell them).

Reactions: Trip McNealy
About to embark on a move soon from NJ to GA to our new home. Since the moving company may arrive a few days after we performing closing and final walkthrough on our home, I am renting a 5x8' Cargo Trailer from U-Haul to take some temporary things like one of our queen beds, some musical gear, and a few precious items and TVs so we have them.

I do have the Tow Package on my Model Y (w/ 20" Inductions) and I haven't used it yet but did buy a Curt 2" hitch starter kit and 4-to-7 pin lighting adapter to use with the U-Haul trailer.

For some reason GVWR's, and tongue weights, and max loads, and this and that are confusing my brain. Looking for anyone who has rented their 5x8' (U-haul specs says Empty weight: 900 lbs.) and towed with their Model Y can simply let me know:
- The max weight I can put inside the trailer so I conform to safety and specs
- Did you have to mount the hitch in the drop or rise configuration to match up with the U-haul trailer coupling.

Much appreciated!
If it were me, I would rent a U Haul Truck and let the wife drive your Y to Georgia. By the time she arrives in Ga. she will want one for herself. Why take a chance on f ing up your Y>