TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Help Me With These Choices for Model S Vanity Plates

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MSEV, Feb 25, 2015.

?

Which plate do you like the best? (You may choose more than one...)

1. NO ICE

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. ICE ENDR

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. ICE KILR

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. ELECTRK

21 vote(s)
    60.0%
  5. LECTRIC

11 vote(s)
    31.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MSEV

MSEV Member

Help me decide on plates for my Model S by selecting one of the choices in the poll above...

2. Beckler

Beckler Member

You seem to like the ICE theme so I wonder if DE-ICER is available

3. Rheazombi

Rheazombi Member

Since you're in Nebraska, you probably have the pick of the litter for EV vanity plates and I'm assuming all your options are currently available. I voted for ELECTRK but NO ICE is fun too. (Reminds me of this, haha... you decide if that's a bad thing or an awesome thing)

tf68Qkx.gif
    From Key & Peele

4. MSEV

MSEV Member

I like DE-ICER; I wonder if I can get a dash or if I have to add it myself.

5. FLDarren

FLDarren Member

I love ICE KILR. I just don't think the majority of people would understand it. I voted for ELECTRK.

I saw a silver Leaf with plates LECTRK awhile back. Pretty cool. I sometimes wish I went with NO NGIN.

6. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

The number one rule of EV vanity plates: make a positive statement, not a negative one. Avoid slogans that contain "NO" or "ANTI". Remember that 99.999% of your audience is driving a gasoline powered vehicle. What's more, a relatively small number of those gasoline drivers have ever heard of the acronym, ICE. By all means, spread the joy and intrigue of driving electric, but there's nothing to be gained by implying that everyone driving on gasoline is a jerk.

7. djplong

djplong Member

Well, not ALL "no" slogans are negative. "NOMOGAS" is kinda positive.

8. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

Yeah, that one seems cool. Too many plates seem like inside jokes that will only be appreciated by other EV owners. I prefer the ones that share the wonderment of driving an EV, such as SILENCE, AMAZING, NEWWAY, etc. Mine is TMORROW. It makes people think. I can't tell you how many times I've looked the rearview mirror at someone snapping a photo of it.

9. MassModel3

MassModel3 Member

It took me some time on this forum to see and/or understand the term "ICE". And admittedly, seeing how it's winter and the roads here in New England are covered in snow and ice, my first thoughts when I saw "NO ICE" were "Well what happens in the summer?" and "He must have or be getting the dual motor car." Then it clicked.

If you want a tag that speaks to the masses, don't use the "ICE" reference. If you want it to remain an inside joke for EV owners and followers (and still not all EV owners know that term, either), then use one of the ICE references.

But everybody knows what electric means, no matter how you spell it.

10. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

^^^^ this ^^^^ MM3 wrote almost exactly what I was going to.

11. eco5280

eco5280 Member

I personally want plates that people will understand - otherwise I don't really get the point. Nobody outside of the EV community knows what ICE means.

12. MSEV

MSEV Member

I understand what is said above, thought it myself, but I also like to make people think. That moment of insight is fun when you figure it out. But most wouldn't figure out ICE in today's world. But how about next year? Or in two years? I don't mind an inside joke.
    That being said, I appreciate the comments about being positive, and about everyone getting it. If I am doing a vanity plate to promote something, do I want a lot to get it or a small few? I appreciate all the comments.

13. eco5280

eco5280 Member

Reminds me of a story - and I'm not saying your options were this confusing - but I was 16 and kept seeing this little green Honda Civic del Sol in the parking lot of my job with the plate ITZNTEZ. Finally I sent out an email to every employee of the company asking if they knew what it meant. The owner piped up, "It's Not Easy Being Green." Ahh. Now that you've EXPLAINED it to me, I get it. I should have told him to put a bumper sticker next to it with a picture of Kermit or something because I couldn't have been the only one confused.
    :biggrin:

14. MSEV

MSEV Member

Thanks. Some good choices there.
    I'm still undecided...

15. ntam

ntam Member

I have "NOMO ICE" in California.

16. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

I too am of the mind of using a positive instead of a negative. That's just me though. For some time, I really considered "UUSEGAS", and dropped it for the same reason. I really like ELECTRK, and that one will be gone soon I bet, as it probably is in most other states.
    I also agree about the ICE thing. That's really for fan boys like us, and mostly forum dwellers at that. The general public has no idea what you are talking about. Heck, none of my Tesla owner friends know what it means.

17. caddieo

caddieo Member

This^^^^^. That's why I chose what I have (see my signature below). It says what my car does - not what it doesn't do.

18. Beckler

Beckler Member

#19 Beckler, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    I'm gonna say the #1 rule is that there are no rules! :) This is vanity plates we're talking about, which have roughly nothing to do with anything. It's for fun. As far as negativity goes, it's fine. It's not directed at the person but their car's engine technology. :D An automotive fuel of choice isn't some personal trait; people are using whatever's available and in 20 yrs. that will be only electric - and no one will know the difference. We know what gasoline is and what it does. Nothing about it is good. I say we ridicule it into oblivion. It's like warnings on cigarette packages - that's not exactly positive. And unfortunately the comparison between cigarette smoke and car exhaust is all too warranted...

19. MSEV

MSEV Member

So another: NOXHAUST. Oh, that's 8 characters. 0XHAUST then.
    Or, to be positive, CLEANAIR.