Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP - Model S is cutting back charging current

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had a Blink J1772 charger for 2 1/2 years (installed before I got my Model S) and it has worked very well. However, yesterday I noticed that it was charging my Model S more slowly. Sure enough, the current had been cut back from 30A to 24A. I unplugged the Blink from the wall outlet to reset it but the problem persists.

What are the circumstances under which the Model S cuts back current? Any suggestions on how to diagnose this issue? How can I be sure that the problem is in the Blink so that if I replace it the problem will go away?

Me too. Except it happens with my UMC. The annoying thing is that the reduction is persistent so I have to manually adjust it back to 40 amps. Otherwise it would happily charge at 30 amps night after night. Seems to happen about once a month for me.

---updated---

Oh, so are you saying it's happening during every charge session for you regardless of whether you manually reset it? There must be a voltage sag.

I don't know what kind of plug your charging station has, but if there is somewhere else with an appropriate outlet where you can plug in your charging station (maybe check PlugShare for someone near you), try it on another circuit. If it works well somewhere else, get an electrician to check the wiring and service in your house; if not, the charging station itself is likely the problem. The current reduction indicates some kind of problem in the supply - could be a loose connection, low voltage on the service, etc. What voltage is the car showing?

I don't know what kind of plug your charging station has, but if there is somewhere else with an appropriate outlet where you can plug in your charging station (maybe check PlugShare for someone near you), try it on another circuit. If it works well somewhere else, get an electrician to check the wiring and service in your house; if not, the charging station itself is likely the problem. The current reduction indicates some kind of problem in the supply - could be a loose connection, low voltage on the service, etc. What voltage is the car showing?

The car is showing 232-233V. I've been charging the Model S on this circuit for about a year at 30A. The cutback to 24A started yesterday. Nothing has changed (wiring, car firmware, etc.) which is what makes this perplexing (and also made me suspect the Blink charger).

If I call Tesla Service should they be able to tell me the reason that the car did decided to cut back the charge current?

I got this email from Blink a little while ago that says why the charging rate drops from 30 to 24 amps.

As you may know, in October of 2013, CarCharging acquired the Blink Network and the Blink EV charging stations. While the warranty for the Blink residential Level 2 charging station (Blink L2AC) previously deployed by ECOtality at your residence is no longer active, safety is of the utmost concern to CarCharging. It has come to our attention that there may be safety concerns with some of the cords included on Blink residential Level 2 EV charging stations.

This concern is related to high temperatures, which can potentially cause overheating. While this may not be a current issue with your charger, as a precaution, CarCharging has elected to reduce the amperage of your specific charging station to 24 Amps at this time. In all cases where Blink L2 chargers have been rated to 24 Amps, there have been no reported high-temperature or safety issues. This reduction has been completed remotely and does not require any action by you.

Please note that most older model EVs whose onboard chargers draw power at lower rates, such as pre-2013 Nissan LEAFs and the Chevy Volt, should not experience a change in charging times due to the reduction in amperage. EVs with higher capacity onboard chargers should still be able to fully charge during a typical overnight charging session.

While we anticipate that this reduction in amperage is only temporary until replacement parts are available for purchase, we invite you to upgrade to our newly designed residential charging station, the Blink HQ (HOME | | Quick Home EV Charging). With the purchase of the Blink HQ and upon the successful return of your existing Level 2 charger (shipping box and label provided), you will be eligible to receive a $100 rebate for the return of your Blink L2AC, as well as a $100 credit for the Blink Network, which includes use on any of our public Blink charging stations.

If you have any questions or would like more information on upgrading and/or start the upgrade process to the Blink HQ, please contact Blink Customer Support at (888) 998-2546 or [email protected]

Sincerely,

blink_logo_webe909d8.jpg