Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP! Model S Won’t Charge at Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I’m in sort of a pickle here. Was driving back to Birmingham from Atlanta after a football game and planned on using the supercharger in Oxford, AL instead of using one in ATL for a few minutes after the game.

Anyway, I pulled in with 10 miles range. When I plug in, it says “starting to charge” like usual but no kw activity registers. It eventually says “charging stopped”. The ring is still blue and there’s no other error messages. I’ve tried pulling into 4 different stalls and nothing has worked yet. Ive also pressed the buttons on the steering wheel for 10 seconds a couple of times. Any suggestions?! Thank you

i believe its happened to me on my S where if the SOC is really low then it takes a couple tries to get it to start to charge. I remember feeling panicky when it hapepend and eventually it started to charge after a while. But I don't recall charging stopped. Keep trying while u wait for assistance? :dunno:

Thanks for the comments guys. Somehow I made it down the road to a restaurant with a regular electric charger, so I’ll be hanging out for quite a while (17 mph). I’d tried a few different stalls and stayed a few minutes at each one, and unplugged and plugged back in multiple times. Really hoping it’s not onboard charger.

Your onboard charger is shot: you can still charge at destination or L2. This happened to me 2 months ago. Multiple Superchargers and a late night Napa destination charge and following service confirmed it. Sit tight and top up. Consider an overnight if needed.
I’m over 50k miles now. Was yours covered by warranty? Afraid I’d have to be out of pocket now possibly.

• Informative
Reactions: SSedan
You missed something.

OK. Everyone that thinks I've missed something bring me up to speed. What does the onboard charger do at a supercharger ?
Supercharger feeds directly into the battery. Onboard only in use where external supply is feeding in AC power. So anytime you're NOT at a supercharger you're feeding AC to the onboard charger which charges the battery. Note: I never use any fast DC except the Supercharger.

Onboard Charger

Last edited:
Reactions: GreenT
Hey guys, I’m in sort of a pickle here. Was driving back to Birmingham from Atlanta after a football game and planned on using the supercharger in Oxford, AL instead of using one in ATL for a few minutes after the game.

Anyway, I pulled in with 10 miles range. When I plug in, it says “starting to charge” like usual but no kw activity registers. It eventually says “charging stopped”. The ring is still blue and there’s no other error messages. I’ve tried pulling into 4 different stalls and nothing has worked yet. Ive also pressed the buttons on the steering wheel for 10 seconds a couple of times. Any suggestions?! Thank you
Have you called roadside assistance? 24 hr or do you prefer to wait 24 hrs for inexpert edvice

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT and smb4ua
So I did a little digging and I am seeing some indication that a flaw with gen 1 chargers can indeed mess with supercharging bit this does not happen with the gen2 chargers.

So the individual who said he had a charger fault present like this is correct and those giving thumbs down and arguing that possibility would be right if the car in question was newer but it isn't, a P85D is likely dual gen 1 chargers.

My 2014 P85 had a fault in the master/primary charger, still charged but got an error. They said it dropped a phase have me options of $2200 replacement or $300 to swap charger positions and make the wounded one the secondary. I had a 14-30 outlet and home so opted for the later. With the fault in the secondary charger my car will only pull 72amps instead of the full 80 it should as a dual charger equipped car.

• Informative
Reactions: Ciaopec