Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP! Model S Won’t Charge at Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks, we're just arguing semantics. The onboard charging unit has more than just the AC-DC converter. So yes, a failure of the other components of the unit could prevent supercharging. But it is also true that the AC-DC converter in the onboard charging unit isn't used during supercharging because Superchargers are DC. That is why for Supercharging it doesn't matter whether you have a 32amp, 40amp, 48amp, 72amp, or 80amp onboard charger (or dual charger).

Reactions: jboy210
Folks, we're just arguing semantics. The onboard charging unit has more than just the AC-DC converter. So yes, a failure of the other components of the unit could prevent supercharging. But it is also true that the AC-DC converter in the onboard charging unit isn't used during supercharging because Superchargers are DC. That is why for Supercharging it doesn't matter whether you have a 32amp, 40amp, 48amp, 72amp, or 80amp onboard charger (or dual charger).

I think it's good to know what you can still do if your on-board charger fails. How would you know if it's the converter or how would you know if you could still supercharge? Does a general failure prohibit supercharging? I haven't heard of a failed on-board charging that will allow it, so I think it's more than semantics. It's mostly people just guessing at this point so I don't think we're going to get definitive answers to the above questions.

This is spot on. Because Tesla replaces, rather than repairs, the onboard charger, the distinction between what part of the onboard charger failed isn't very useful. The takeaway is that the onboard charger does play a role in supercharging, which is news to many people.

During supercharging, the onboard charger is bypassed and not used. Lots of previous discussions and wiring diagrams have been presented.

Strike two. Bypassed in the sense of AC/DC conversion, yes. Bypassed in the sense of "removed from all current flow", no.

Failure of certain components inside the onboard charger can result in supercharging failing while AC charging continues to function.

Lots of previous discussions and actual examples of repairs have been presented.

Can charge but cannot supercharge

Strike two. Bypassed in the sense of AC/DC conversion, yes. Bypassed in the sense of "removed from all current flow", no.

Failure of certain components inside the onboard charger can result in supercharging failing while AC charging continues to function.

Lots of previous discussions and actual examples of repairs have been presented.

Can charge but cannot supercharge

Sure, but we have the converse also. People with failed onboard chargers were not able to charge via 120/240, but they were able to supercharge.

• Informative
Reactions: commasign
Sure, but we have the converse also. People with failed onboard chargers were not able to charge via 120/240, but they were able to supercharge.

So, ok, but what does that have to do with the original statement “during supercharging, the onboard charger is bypassed and not used”, which remains objectively wrong or at the very best misleading?

Yes they have some parts in common like the contactor, but the current is not rectified in DC-DC charging, which is done by the onboard charger.
This is a fantastic contortion that is fully irrelevant to people when Tesla tells them (correctly) that they need to replace their onboard charger because they can't Supercharge.

But hey, I guess needlessly confusing people over mindless technicalities is more important than, you know, accepting common sense and stopping the spread of misinformation.

Reactions: seclinton
From a Tesla Forum thread about inop Supercharging:

Rocky_H | July 18, 2018
Ooh, something is now sounding a little familiar. On the old cars, the HVJB was a separate part than the primary and secondary chargers. I do now recall that with the 2016 refresh redesign, they integrated the two, so that the one main charging unit also contains the HVJB. So if you have a newer car, that would make sense that to replace the HVJB, they would have to do the master charger anyway, because it's part of that same unit.

Not charging at a supercharger? | Tesla

Nope mine is a 2014 p85+ and I had this issue in June 2019. Sept 10 I go in for a DU replacement. I’ll get the service record to show you the thread of when it failed to SC, the confirmed diagnosis can’t SC but can L2. On board charger replaced, no FW update.

To whoever disliked my post earlier that’s fine but saying on board charger doesn’t interact with SC is just what’s the word? WRONG

This happened to me today for my model x. I tried several stations in Scott’s valley and then in las gatos. It just wouldn’t work. Roadside service tried remote diagnostics and couldn’t figure out and told me to leave the car in a service center. Car is not even a month old. This is poor service.