Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! Multiple errors on 2013 S: steering assist reduced, Traction Control disabled, stability control disabled, parking brake requires service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While turning onto on on ramp I suddenly got multiple error codes:

Steering assist reduced
Traction control disabled
Stability Control disabled
Parking brake requires service
Regenerative braking disabled

With all these faults the car is difficult to drive. I did a reset when this first came up and was able to drive all the way home another 20min without problems. The next day it all pops up again. A hard reset got rid of it but only for a few moments.

I disconnected the 12v battery and checked the voltage there it was just over 13v so seems to be no issue. I was thinking to check the wheel speed sensor wires for breaks. Is there something else I should look at? I am a bit stumped here.

I have seen similar posts but haven't seen a fix to the issue.

It's possible you have a broken ground stud. This is a common problem in cars built before 2016.

Under he frunk on the inside of the right frame rail is a ground stud. Overtorqued at the factory they eventually break off. You have to drill and tap the hole to install a new stud, with NoAlOx due to dissimilar metals.

I wanted to give the same advice:) check your ground studs ! One is on the passenger side beside the ac piping under the hood, another one is under airbag controller under the mcu inside. I would say 90% is the under the hood one that gives trouble. When checking it, make sure you actually unscrew it and clean it, don’t just rely on visual inspection. That mistake cost me dearly

Reactions: JerryJaz
Turns out the battery was actually good the voltage where I probed it showed low because the posts were corroded. It was either corroded 12V battery posts or the ground on the battery tray was also corroded. I cleaned it all up and put it back together so far so good.

I had the same thing happen when I was returning to my lane after passing on a split yellow with snow groves for the reflectors. I hit one while turning into my lane and all those errors came up and my PS didn't work so I had to drive 2 hr like that.
The fix was one that I've done before when *sugar* breaks without actually breaking.

Disconnect the ground on the 12v battery then unplug the fireman's loop, let it sit for like 30 min. Then put back together in reverse. Everything works great and no errors anymore.
Did the same thing when my AC compressor went out. If a brake pedal reboot doesn't fix it this usually does. If still not fixed though then you likely actually have something broken and gotta go see Tesla for a diag.

Hi folks! Did the new ESP harness end up working out? I've had this issue on and off like 5 or 6 times since October (2021 Refresh S). A little annoying to say the least to lose all these things. The good news is that it always came back on it's own by the next day or much later in the same day. But still... silly to have to deal with it on a new car. I too suspected cold temps being a factor. Oh... and for my own knowledge... if the ESP harness was the culprit, can someone explain what this thing is and why it makes sense to be the issue? I will head to service and point them in this direction to help speed things up with this knowledge hopefully. Thanks all!

Wondering if you guys resolved this or had an update All these error messages popped up today on my 2021 M3 SR, it was a cold night and a thin layer of ice covered the car, nothing extreme by any means(temperature around 30).

I had to drive the car like that for about 30 minutes and got a heck of an arm work out without PS.

I’m thinking on dropping off the car at the service center today even though they are closed. This is my family’s only car so I am in a pickle!

Had this happen tonight 2018 M3 LR. Hard reboot didn’t fix it. I did freak out a bit when the touchscreen went off and didn’t come back on for a couple minutes. Next available appointment at the service center is 3 weeks. I’ll check the ground studs and then give Tesla a call.

Following up on this, I took my car to the service center and it seems like they narrow it down to:

ASY,HARN,ESP WAKE,JUMPER,M3Y(1742989-
00-A)

That’s the only part that are planning to replace, part should be here in about 2 weeks so I am on a loaner M3.

Reactions: fade6