Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! My M3 won't turn off!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been fighting this issue for over 2 weeks now. I have a 2020 M3 Dual Motor with just over 15,000 miles. Christmas Eve was my 1 year anniversary as I got my car on 12/24/2019. No problems with my car until two weeks ago when I was traveling out of town. I left work and drove to my hotel and went to my room on the 5th floor and it's windows face the parking lot so when I got to my room I saw my lights were still on. I went back downstairs and it was still 'on' ready to drive. I can manually turn off the headlights, ambient lights and steering wheel lights but the screen would not turn off. I also had to manually lock the car with my card. After all that I pressed both steering wheel buttons to soft boot the car. Still the same problem. Then I did the hard boot by powering off the car. Waited 5 minutes then pressed the brake. Car came back on but still same issues. I also rebooted my iPhone and removed and then added the car in bluetooth. I also removed all keys from the car except for mine. The screen would not turn off and the car would not lock. I got Tesla service on the phone and we spent over 2 hours going through so many things trying one thing after another with no luck. Thankfully I have free charging at the hotel (Staybridge Suites) so I plugged in the car and went to bed. When I got up in the morning I turned off my bluetooth on my iPhone and went to the car and sure enough the screen was still on. I told my colleagues I had to go home (I was in Irvine and live in Sacramento) so I did. In the two weeks since the car has 'mostly' remained on but there have been about 3 times where the car locked itself when I walked away. No rime or reason. Today, Christmas day 2020 I downloaded and installed 2020.48.26 which as you know also reboots the computer, same problem. I am beyond frustrated. If I didn't have a wall charger in my garage I'd be in a bad place.

Has anyone experienced this and if so, what is the fix?

roll your front window down and your rear passenger window. pop your front trunk open.

close the door. reach inside the car and "turn off" the car on the screen.

DONT OPEN THE DOOR in the rear -- instead reach inside and remove the HV connector. if you open the door the car will turn on, so remove the seat and the foam piece over the hv connector then close up the car and start the procedure.

remove the HV plug under the seat then disconnect the 12v in the frunk. wait 10 minutes then plug up the 12V then wait 3 minutes and plug up the HV connector.

if you dont have any 12V low battery issues/error alerts then try this method.

Last edited: