Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! My wife wants my Model 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Rav4 EV since he's in California. That's what I got my wife and she loves it. it has a LOT of room inside, has Tesla components (so the power is really good), and Toyota reliability. The rear seats fold flat and you can load so much in there. Even a dresser standing up.

What year is this? 2013?

Unless you mean the new Rav 4 Prime, which is a PHEV, then Toyota haven't made an EV version of the Rav 4 ages ago.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Rav4 EV since he's in California. That's what I got my wife and she loves it. it has a LOT of room inside, has Tesla components (so the power is really good), and Toyota reliability. The rear seats fold flat and you can load so much in there. Even a dresser standing up.

The RAV4 EV is so old and low volume, no one is going to support that if it dies.

What year is this? 2013?

Unless you mean the new Rav 4 Prime, which is a PHEV, then Toyota haven't made an EV version of the Rav 4 ages ago.

Ours is a 2014. It's not the newest EV around but I would buy this over a used Leaf any day. I think the OP was trying to find a economic way to have another EV. If so, I don't think the Rav4 EV should be discounted.

The RAV4 EV is so old and low volume, no one is going to support that if it dies.

It's true that not all dealerships/shops support it, but here in CA, there's plenty of available shops that can work on it.

Reactions: KenC
I have to say, I'm quite surprised how many people are suggesting that you keep your Subaru. They, of all people, should understand your desire to move-away from gas and go all electric.

I have had a Model S, a Model X and Model 3 and a BMW i3 BEV. While the i3 is far from a Tesla, it's still a great little car. I enjoyed driving it and so did my kids. It's a great second car. I would recommend NOT getting the REX. You shouldn't need the range extender. It's a 300lb weight to drag around for that once or twice a year that you might want to have it. I much prefer the BEV and willing to stop at a public charger those couple of times vs. having that engine to haul-around and maintain. The BEV has longer electric-only range, faster 0-60 and more nimble, because it is lighter.

Regarding your charging situation, you should be able to easily get-away with charging the i3 on a 120V outlet. I'm assuming you have one of those in your garage?

Reactions: spehanich
I have to say, I'm quite surprised how many people are suggesting that you keep your Subaru. They, of all people, should understand your desire to move-away from gas and go all electric.

I have had a Model S, a Model X and Model 3 and a BMW i3 BEV. While the i3 is far from a Tesla, it's still a great little car. I enjoyed driving it and so did my kids. It's a great second car. I would recommend NOT getting the REX. You shouldn't need the range extender. It's a 300lb weight to drag around for that once or twice a year that you might want to have it. I much prefer the BEV and willing to stop at a public charger those couple of times vs. having that engine to haul-around and maintain. The BEV has longer electric-only range, faster 0-60 and more nimble, because it is lighter.

Regarding your charging situation, you should be able to easily get-away with charging the i3 on a 120V outlet. I'm assuming you have one of those in your garage?

We are mostly rational people. I came from just Subarus, never owned anything else. It's better to keep what you have than to buy a bad or overpriced or shi*ty EV.

Picked up our M3 in June and my wife, who does not normally like new technology, fell in love with it. She has been driving a 2015 Subaru Outback - very nice car, well-made and safe -- but now she thinks it is too big. During the pandemic, with both of us working from home, we usually take the M3 and leave the Outback in the garage.

Been thinking of trading in the Outback for a BMW i3. The used price appears to be comparable and we really only need the second car for small trips around town. Our neighbor loved her i3 until it was totaled a couple of days after we came home with our M3. (No one was injured.) The neighbor liked the M3 so much she bought it to replace her i3 but she is still a big fan of her old car.

I can't afford another Tesla but I could afford a trade for an i3. What are the pros and cons? How can I charge two electric cars at the same time without installing new electric service? The i3 will be used for in town driving but I do not want to sacrifice safety.

Thoughts?
Just buy her a MX like I did. :D

• Funny
Reactions: gavine

I saw potential reinstatement of EV tax credit, and the $25,000 next Model as compelling reasons to wait it out a bit longer before transitioning from the Subaru.

Delayed gratification :D Being a Mar 2016 Model 3 reservation holder, I waited for what felt like an eternity to transition away from my Sonata. I'm def glad I didn't get a used Leaf or RAV during that time.

Reactions: spehanich
Damn! Yeah, well, I keep encouraging my wife to sell her Subaru and get an EV, even another Tesla, perhaps used...or not. She LOVES our M3 LR AWD. I've mentioned that in five years there will be no market for her used Legacy. She actually agrees but then adds, "When I sell the Subaru, we'll be a one car family." NOoooooo! Wrong. When we sell the Subaru, we buy another Tesla. Next question?

• Funny
Reactions: spehanich and KenC
selling Subaru and invest in Tesla stock since you guys just need one car most of time. save the money and buy a long range cybertruck in the future for long trip once it is released.
Is it bad of me that I put $100k into Nio stock back at the end of May, and today, it's worth over $1.1M? I do have a reservation for a Cybertruck tri-motor. I think I can afford it now.

Sell the Subaru and your wife. Profit.

Is it bad of me that I put $100k into Nio stock back at the end of May, and today, it's worth over $1.1M? I do have a reservation for a Cybertruck tri-motor. I think I can afford it now.

Serious? Wow

I have several NIO shares around the mid 20's.

You going to sell or hold? I see NIO rising way more but I'd be super tempted with those portfolio earnings!

Sell the Subaru and your wife. Profit.

Serious? Wow

I have several NIO shares around the mid 20's.

You going to sell or hold? I see NIO rising way more but I'd be super tempted with those portfolio earnings!
I'm holding. Nio like Tesla are fundamentally overvalued, but the market is a little nuts, where lots of people, are afraid of missing out. I've owned lots of fast-rising techs over the years, but nothing quite like this stock in the last 6 months. It's gone up over 11x! That's nuts, considering it trended down for 15 months and almost ran out of money, just like Tesla.

Regarding families with two EVs and one plug:

It has never been a problem for us although neither EV racks up big miles so it is easy for them to get along. If that was not the case I would either add another circuit, or share the circuit between two receptacles. Sharing is easiest between two Tesla, but other combinations are possible with extra hardware.

In our case we have one J1772 EVSE that feeds our Tesla and our LEAF. When the LEAF is swapped for a Tesla I'll attach two HPWC to our 60 Amp circuit instead of the J1772.