Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help - MYP or BMW iX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an early adopter of the M3P I am a Tesla convert and love my M3 (previous car was an X5 hybrid).

I ordered a MYP last November and hopefully will have it sometime this year, however I have quandary......

Last night I was offered a fully loaded ix4 for immediate delivery (obviously a cancelled order with a vale of £88K) at a very similar monthly price to my MYP

I'm not sure I like the front of the BMW as it looks a little 'glitzy' to me, but that being said I don't particularly like the rear end of the m3's .... but maybe I can get over this in time.

Help.....should I cancel my MYP that I have already waited 8/9 months for and walk into a IX

From what I can read real world mileages seems kind of comparable, and the big plus for me previously was the charging network that Tesla offered, but with this not opening up to other brands, maybe no so much of an issue??

Last edited:
Do you mean i4 or ix3? I don't think an ix4 has been released yet?

Edit: think you mean iX looking at your post now. For me, having took a good look around one, it is very over the top styling wise. But, if the monthlies are the same as a MYP and you can stomach the (current) lack of full access to superchargers, I'd be tempted to go for the ix. Just as the build quality and interior are a huge leap above the Y.

Do you mean i4 or ix3? I don't think an ix4 has been released yet?

Edit: think you mean iX looking at your post now. For me, having took a good look around one, it is very over the top styling wise. But, if the monthlies are the same as a MYP and you can stomach the (current) lack of full access to superchargers, I'd be tempted to go for the ix. Just as the build quality and interior are a huge leap above the Y.
Sorry if I wasn't clear its the iX (not the ix3).
I'm personally not a fan of the Swarovski dial's and buttons on the inside and the front grill buy yes the monthlies are within a few £'s of each other.

Have you test driven it?

My mum got an iX a few months ago and it’s certainly a nice place to sit.

Pros:
Heads up display
Spacious passenger compartment
Nice interior design
Soft suspension
Auto parking works well

Cons:
Small boot
No frunk
Interface is glitzy but not intuitive
Regen braking is very weird
Handling not as good as Tesla (IMO)

The regen braking in particular was a big annoyance having got used to one pedal driving - you have to set the gear lever to B to get it, otherwise it uses ‘predictive’ regen where it decides when you need it and when you will coast. In practice I felt like I never knew whether it was going to slow down or not which made it particularly useless.

So depends on your priorities I guess -
Have a slightly less common car with interesting looks but less practical/relaxing to drive
OR
Get what is likely to be the most popular car in the world for good reason, but with a slightly less polished interior but a better drive

Last edited:
Have you test driven it?

My mum got an iX a few months ago and it’s certainly a nice place to sit.

Pros:
Heads up display
Spacious passenger compartment
Nice interior design
Soft suspension
Auto parking works well

Cons:
Small boot
No frunk
Interface is glitzy but not intuitive
Regen braking is very weird
Handling not as good as Tesla (IMO)

The regen braking in particular was a big annoyance having got used to one pedal driving - you have to set the gear lever to B to get it, otherwise it uses ‘predictive’ regen where it decides when you need it and when you will coast. In practice I felt like I never knew whether it was going to slow down or not which made it particularly useless.

So depends on your priorities I guess -
Have a slightly less common car with interesting looks but less practical/relaxing to drive
OR
Get what is likely to be the most popular car in the world for good reason, but with a slightly less polished interior but a better drive
Thanks for the input and no I haven't driven one (and wont be able too before I make a decision).

You make a very valid point "Get what is likely to be the most popular car in the world for good reason, but with a slightly less polished interior but a better drive" and I do love my M3!

Are you buying outright or leasing?

If the former I think you'll take a bath on the IX whereas not the case with the MYP if that matters to you.

Only answer is you need to test drive the IX and then, financial decision withstanding, go with your heart.

As above, the boot is surprisingly small on the IX for such a large vehicle and the boot floor / sill is incredibly high, definitely some odd packaging decisions going on there.

Are you buying outright or leasing?

If the former I think you'll take a bath on the IX whereas not the case with the MYP if that matters to you.

Only answer is you need to test drive the IX and then, financial decision withstanding, go with your heart.

As above, the boot is surprisingly small on the IX for such a large vehicle and the boot floor / sill is incredibly high, definitely some odd packaging decisions going on there.
Its a lease on the MYP and a pcp on the IX

In my current frame of mind I'd probably go with the iX. I don't think you'd lose a lot of money on it (and it's on PCP anyway so you have the luxury of choice).

A year ago I would've said Tesla hands down, but having experienced the glacial development progress of the car I'm not so sure anymore. Neither the 3 or Y have changed in any significant way in the last 3 years or more. The interior has been rejigged a bit, matrix headlights were added that don't function and aren't likely to any time soon... but you can do fart noises and get autonomous features that barely work in the UK thanks to UNECE and Tesla being completely indifferent to non-US progress, so.. er.. yay? About the best thing you can say about the cars nowadays is that they are put together better than they used to be.

I've not driven an iX but I would be willing to bet all of the driver convenience stuff works, and is sublime. Ventilated seats, HUD, matrix headlights that actually do something, auto wipers & headlights you can set and forget, etc.

if it's a fully loaded car then it seems like a good opportunity, and it's what I'd go for I think.

The regen braking in particular was a big annoyance having got used to one pedal driving - you have to set the gear lever to B to get it, otherwise it uses ‘predictive’ regen where it decides when you need it and when you will coast.
You can go into the car settings to change the behaviour in “D” mode. From memory the options are predictive, low, medium and high.

Sorry if I wasn't clear its the iX (not the ix3).
I'm personally not a fan of the Swarovski dial's and buttons on the inside and the front grill buy yes the monthlies are within a few £'s of each other.
In that case I’d seriously consider the iX. Although it will need regular “servicing” at the BMW stealers so that will add cost. If you can live with reduced practically as well. It is a bit of a travesty there is no frunk. My dad has an i4 and I keep ribbing him about that!

In my current frame of mind I'd probably go with the iX. I don't think you'd lose a lot of money on it (and it's on PCP anyway so you have the luxury of choice).

A year ago I would've said Tesla hands down, but having experienced the glacial development progress of the car I'm not so sure anymore. Neither the 3 or Y have changed in any significant way in the last 3 years or more. The interior has been rejigged a bit, matrix headlights were added that don't function and aren't likely to any time soon... but you can do fart noises and get autonomous features that barely work in the UK thanks to UNECE and Tesla being completely indifferent to non-US progress, so.. er.. yay? About the best thing you can say about the cars nowadays is that they are put together better than they used to be.

I've not driven an iX but I would be willing to bet all of the driver convenience stuff works, and is sublime. Ventilated seats, HUD, matrix headlights that actually do something, auto wipers & headlights you can set and forget, etc.

if it's a fully loaded car then it seems like a good opportunity, and it's what I'd go for I think.
This Tesla forum is so good that a person who has never driven a BMW iX thinks it would be sublime and is even willing to bet. And you saw no development progress to an M3/MY in the last 3 years?

Reactions: Ricecooker
This Tesla forum is so good that a person who has never driven a BMW iX thinks it would be sublime and is even willing to bet. And you saw no development progress to an M3/MY in the last 3 years?
Oh here we go...

Of course the OP needs to test drive one first. I wouldn't buy a car without at least a very decent test drive. Nobody is suggesting that he shouldn't. But I can tell you from being in BMW's high end SUVs that they're an absolute mile ahead of Tesla in just about every way that I'd care about as long as the range and charging infrastructure isn't a real concern.

Not sure why you are so militantly pro-Tesla in all of your posts that you can't seem to find any fault with them and are happy to gloss over obvious deficiencies. I don't have any time for blinkered fanboys, sorry, I expect my £60k+ cars to work properly and promises to be kept (still waiting for "automatic driving on city streets coming later this year", in 2020).

What concrete development can you put your finger on exactly? An automatic boot being added? Matrix lights that just project "TESLA" during a gimmick light show and are non-functional otherwise? I like my car but I am not blind to its shortcomings compared to the competition. Battery/motor efficiency is not the be all and end all.

I will admit to some bitterness having bought FSD in 2020 for £5,800 on the expectation that there would be some tangible progress made with it in the time I'm likely to own the car, and discovering - 2.5 years later - that this was all a sham.

687E6E93-C00D-4435-BA31-4BBFB062F829.jpeg
687E6E93-C00D-4435-BA31-4BBFB062F829.jpeg
BMW i4 Is A Moose Test Disappointment, No Match For Tesla Model 3

Not sure why you are so militantly pro-Tesla in all of your posts that you can't seem to find any fault with them and are happy to gloss over obvious deficiencies. I don't have any time for blinkered fanboys, sorry, I expect my £60k+ cars to work properly and promises to be kept (still waiting for "automatic driving on city streets coming later this year", in 2020).

What concrete development can you put your finger on exactly? An automatic boot being added? Matrix lights that just project "TESLA" during a gimmick light show and are non-functional otherwise? I like my car but I am not blind to its shortcomings compared to the competition. Battery/motor efficiency is not the be all and end all.
You can see both pros and cons if you read the reply from @Vidyutyaan. Any car would've both pros and cons, so a test drive is absolutely necessary to determine if a given car is suitable for one's needs or not. I'm not glossing over any deficiencies by actively tweeting Tesla and Elon directly and via teslaownersuk.

In the last 3 years, while competition is catching up with Tesla, even Tesla is catching up to competition, especially with the build quality, which has tremendously improved. The number of service requests raised per customer has significantly decreased, and there are owners like me who have yet to raise their first request even after months.

Automatic driving on city streets - Elon has accepted several times that he made mistakes estimating dates and that things will take time. I regularly follow the progress made for the FSD beta and can honestly tell you that Tesla is not slacking off.

FSD in 2020 - I agree that Tesla should never advertise FSD on their website or make it clear that you are funding development and may not see any benefits directly. Knowing this, I consciously upgraded to an FSD, but I'm sure most people would've made incorrect assumptions or believed Elon, who is either on drugs or just chatty or both on Twitter.

Last edited: