Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help - MYP or BMW iX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My thought was that @Durzel had a considered and thoughtful post and you really haven't addressed any of those issues.

For my part, I think "accelerating the transition to sustainable energy" is guff. Tesla and EVs generally (hybrids to a lesser degree) will undoubtedly accelerate the improvement of quality of city air. That's wonderful. (Adblue/Euro 6 helped too, though). But adoption of EVs is doing nothing to change how energy is generated. Look at China: huge EV adoption, huge coal use showing no signs of slowing.

The argument for Giga presses seems to be that Tesla can churn out more cars, more quickly. Not sure that's doing anything for the environment, either. Since when was "more stuff" an environmental good?
What else should Tesla do to convince you that their vision is serious?
You are missing some latest news on China. Look up wind generation capacity, renewable energy investments and even sale of EVs.
Replacing ICE faster is indeed good for the environment. Other automakers are hardly chipping in. VW sold just 800 more ID cars in H1 this year compared to H1 2021.

You are missing some latest news on China. Look up wind generation capacity, renewable energy investments and even sale of EVs.
1658319443185.png

It's progress I suppose.

Reactions: candida
As an early adopter of the M3P I am a Tesla convert and love my M3 (previous car was an X5 hybrid).

I ordered a MYP last November and hopefully will have it sometime this year, however I have quandary......

Last night I was offered a fully loaded ix4 for immediate delivery (obviously a cancelled order with a vale of £88K) at a very similar monthly price to my MYP

I'm not sure I like the front of the BMW as it looks a little 'glitzy' to me, but that being said I don't particularly like the rear end of the m3's .... but maybe I can get over this in time.

Help.....should I cancel my MYP that I have already waited 8/9 months for and walk into a IX

From what I can read real world mileages seems kind of comparable, and the big plus for me previously was the charging network that Tesla offered, but with this not opening up to other brands, maybe no so much of an issue??

Hey, I don't like going for the same brand when getting a new car as it makes it feel less... new(?). I think the iX is a fantastic car and certainly more distinctive than the now ubiquitous Tesla's. Are you leasing or buying?

For me it boils down to weighing up the pros and cons then making a decision. When I change my M3P next year and I’m deciding whether or not to by another Tesla my current thoughts are:

Pros:
Performance
Efficiency

Cons:
Build quality, though very much improved, is still inadequate.
The car is MUCH too noisy and unrefined at motorway speeds for a £60k car.
Crap auto wipers
Crap auto headlights
I want a decent binnacle display
I want a HUD
I want the interior of my car to be covered in acres of real dead cow. The vegan “leather” looks and feels like no leather I’ve ever seen and just makes the interior look cheap - which it is.
I want just a few physical buttons for things like HVAC without the car looking like an aeroplane cockpit.
FSD will not be a reality in this country for many years.

Different people have different priorities and they are mine. I’ve always been an Audi driver rather than BMW, and I’m 95% certain that next year I’ll be driving an A6 EV.

I certainly wouldn’t be put off a car because of it’s looks. My M3 is the ugliest car I’ve ever owned by some margin, and the MY plunges to new depths of ugliness. Only my opinion of course. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It's hard to know what to do in this case. I think the IX's are not good looking at all and the interior is a bit of a mess. I've owned 5 BMWs as my last but one car so I have a very soft spot for them but at the moment their design is all over the shop.

I wouldn't wait for the MYP tho - I'm having enough trouble getting a regular MY so certainly wouldn't bank on the MYP appearing anytime soon - but who can tell, the dams could open in an instant - knowing what Tesla is like. Its certainly a factor if you need to change cars to go with whats around.

I had an ioniq 5 on order for 9 months, it arrived - I liked it but its efficiency was rubbish. It could barely scrape 180 miles in the winter. I drove for 2 hours without heating and radio off to eek out some miles (I live in an area with very few chargers en route). That broke me and I sold it the next week back to the garage. I'm hoping the MY I have on order will do better - its not better looking than the ioniq and the interior is a bit bland but I don't care I need it to go as far as possible on a charge and big enough to take all my cr8p.

I'd say the 2023 ioniq 5's with the larger battery or the ev6 could be a good shout but the wait times are massive on those also.

I do like the i4 also but having had an old 4 series, its not a large car - put me off - it struggles with 4 adults + dog as a comfortable motor.

Take a test drive, see if it ticks the majority of boxes and you can live with it looks wise - if its similar money - it could be a no brainer - certainly looks like a decent spec from what you've posted. Also not the m50 so you'll get more range.

Good luck with the decision.

What else should Tesla do to convince you that their vision is serious?
Fusion. That would be good. Makes more sense than Mars, to me (and I know I'm conflating Musk and Tesla, but I'm having fun)

PS I'd take the iX in a heartbeat for the same outlay as a YP (Speaking as a 3P owner)

As an early adopter of the M3P I am a Tesla convert and love my M3 (previous car was an X5 hybrid).

I ordered a MYP last November and hopefully will have it sometime this year, however I have quandary......

Last night I was offered a fully loaded ix4 for immediate delivery (obviously a cancelled order with a vale of £88K) at a very similar monthly price to my MYP

I'm not sure I like the front of the BMW as it looks a little 'glitzy' to me, but that being said I don't particularly like the rear end of the m3's .... but maybe I can get over this in time.

Help.....should I cancel my MYP that I have already waited 8/9 months for and walk into a IX

From what I can read real world mileages seems kind of comparable, and the big plus for me previously was the charging network that Tesla offered, but with this not opening up to other brands, maybe no so much of an issue??
I think you already know the answer !!

Seriously though …. I’d ask about the number of. Long journeys you might make. Will you ever take the car for a vacation ? 2,000 ? 3,000km perhaps ?

If so .. I’d never try this in a non-Tesla

Reactions: Stan930
Oh here we go...

Of course the OP needs to test drive one first. I wouldn't buy a car without at least a very decent test drive. Nobody is suggesting that he shouldn't. But I can tell you from being in BMW's high end SUVs that they're an absolute mile ahead of Tesla in just about every way that I'd care about as long as the range and charging infrastructure isn't a real concern.
Well done, you've linked an article to the wrong car.
Same platform, duh!

I can't see how this makes sense other than BMW tempting you with immediate delivery (don't they have a waiting list?).

By waiting for a MYP you must have discounted the MYLR with a 0-60 of 4.3 after Acceleration Boost, so why would you buy an IX which is 4.6 ? A MYLR would have been significantly cheaper and if you ordered last November you would have had it by now.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the look of a Model Y, but the BMW IX is bloody hideous. The fake printed plastic grills are far worse in person than in pictures.

• Funny
I'm not a fan of the exterior, it is certainly unique. One could make a compelling argument that the Model Y is a blown up 3, though :)

I just watched a video review of the iX, and I have no particular affinity for BMW but the interior quality, refinement, etc looks night and day. It looks more positioned against the Model X than the Y, to be honest.

Reactions: Mrklaw and candida
I can't see how this makes sense other than BMW tempting you with immediate delivery (don't they have a waiting list?).

By waiting for a MYP you must have discounted the MYLR with a 0-60 of 4.3 after Acceleration Boost, so why would you buy an IX which is 4.6 ? A MYLR would have been significantly cheaper and if you ordered last November you would have had it by now.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the look of a Model Y, but the BMW IX is bloody hideous. The fake printed plastic grills are far worse in person than in pictures.
I originally ordered the MYP on the understanding that its would be a May delivery, which then slipped to June and now end of this year....I have considered changing my order to a MYLR with performance pack but would mean cancelling my performance order and re-ordering a LR which I believe would now be delivered around Dec-Jan. So basically I may as well wait for my MYP now...if that makes sense.

Both cars have plus and minus in the styling....the IX is gaudy and theres something odd with the MY boot/rear window in my opinion.

I originally ordered the MYP on the understanding that its would be a May delivery, which then slipped to June and now end of this year....I have considered changing my order to a MYLR with performance pack but would mean cancelling my performance order and re-ordering a LR which I believe would now be delivered around Dec-Jan. So basically I may as well wait for my MYP now...if that makes sense.
Plenty of other people on this thread are saying that for the same money they would take the IX, I can't see how that makes sense. While speed isn't everything, it clearly mattered to you when you picked the MYP with a 0-60 of 3.5s. That BMW is ssssllloooowwww in comparison. If speed wasn't an issue, then the MYLR would have been notably cheaper in the first place.

For me BMW are confusing you with "here's a car that you didn't want, with significantly different attributes, but you can have it sooner for the same money". Perhaps they are having difficulty shifting these ugly, slow and expensive devices.

Plenty of other people on this thread are saying that for the same money they would take the IX, I can't see how that makes sense. While speed isn't everything, it clearly mattered to you when you picked the MYP with a 0-60 of 3.5s. That BMW is ssssllloooowwww in comparison. If speed wasn't an issue, then the MYLR would have been notably cheaper in the first place.

For me BMW are confusing you with "here's a car that you didn't want, with significantly different attributes, but you can have it sooner for the same money". Perhaps they are having difficulty shifting these ugly, slow and expensive devices.
I guess it was the lure of having a new car NOW!!

But I've declined the IX due to the looks, acceleration, range and smaller boot space........and that fact that I LOVE my Tesla.

Another factor fior me was the simplicity of the cabin, when I last drove my wife's (now sold) Range Rover Velar I sat in the driver seat thinking omg look at all these buttons, knobs, dials.....😱

Saw one of these in the flesh the other day - seriously ugly car. Are you seriously considering buying a car that weighs in at 2500Kg unladen and has a tiny boot and zero frunk space, not to mention the decade old level of tech?

Just noted the response above ha ha. Good choice

Last edited:

As a mild counterpoint I must admit I'm always a bit perplexed by people carriers with ballistic acceleration. The Model X Plaid makes no sense to me really.

I already get grief if I floor it in my M3P, and I don't have any children. Do people really have partners that will tolerate rollercoaster like sensations on a regular basis? What about their kids? Are they going to be puking in the back after you floor it?

Maybe I'm being a bit melodramatic, and if the OP is buying a MY because of the extra space - then fair enough. I also concede that there are unicorn relationships where both adults enjoy the crazy acceleration.

it clearly mattered to you when you picked the MYP with a 0-60 of 3.5s.

Why on earth would you care about a sub 4 second 0-60 time in a family SUV? Remember it wasn't long ago a sub 6 second 0-60 was considered fast even for performance saloons?

Unless you only care about traffic light GPs it utterly pointless, I can count on one hand the number of times I've done a WOT launch in our 75D X in the last 12 months. So far on our 3000 mile road trip with 6 people on board I can barely used 50% throttle without complaining from 3rd row passengers am driving too fast :).

Reactions: Durzel
If I were offered an iX for a similar price to an MY I’d take the iX without a second thought. As for the looks, love it or hate it the iX certainly stands out, which you can’t say about the utterly bland and anonymous MY.

There are loads of iXs in Norway already, I have to say they have far more road presence than the Y.

For the same money as a Y, which is essentially a 3 on silts, the iX is a no brainer choice. As someone has mentioned the iX gives the X a run for its money.

I love our X, but the iX also looks very good (or maybe I just like the letter X :)).