Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP: need a spare 120V/15 Amp in Los Angeles Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks, my Roadster is fully out of charge and unfortunately in a location where towing it may prove difficult. My only option is to connect it to a nearby 120V outlet using the 120V/15 Amp spare charger (https://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/roadster/products/mobile-connec...). None of the local Tesla service centers have a spare 15 Amp charger on hand. If there is anyone in the greater LA/Santa Monica area that has a spare 15 Amp charger that they wouldn't mind lending to me for a few hours, I would be immensely grateful. Thank you.

You seriously need to put that Roadster on charge ASAP if you indeed say its 'fully out of charge', you're at risk to damaging and bricking that pack. I honestly don't take my Roadster out unless I have a full set of charging options packed in my truck. I use the Model S mobile charger kit along with the Roadster CAN SR. I also keep the Roadster CAN JR (J1772) adapter in the car as well. The CAN SR allows the S mobile an wall charger to be used, it also supports 120V along with 220V as long as you have the correct adapter.

Also look on PlugShare to see if a Roadster owner is close by to help you out. An expensive and long distance tow may save you a $5-$30k repair bill. But it would be quicker to find the 110v or mobile charger that works with the Roadster.

Thank you Wiztecy. Trying to solve problem ASAP. We attempted to charge with a third-party 120V charger, but have not tried with a Tesla 120V. It sounds like that may be a solution, but is there a difference?

How did you charge with a 3rd party charger? The Roadster charge port is proprietary (unless you've converted it to J1772 like @tomsax did in a pinned thread around here.) You would need a CANJR or Tesla's J1772 adapter to work with any other NA Standard charger.

How long has the car been charged? If the battery is dead, no amount of plugging it in will bring it back to life, that's at least a $30k battery upgrade.

Hello!
If it's not too late I can help, I've got a 120v Roadster cable... PM me, I live in Santa Monica

Hi folks, my Roadster is fully out of charge and unfortunately in a location where towing it may prove difficult. My only option is to connect it to a nearby 120V outlet using the 120V/15 Amp spare charger (https://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/roadster/products/mobile-connec...). None of the local Tesla service centers have a spare 15 Amp charger on hand. If there is anyone in the greater LA/Santa Monica area that has a spare 15 Amp charger that they wouldn't mind lending to me for a few hours, I would be immensely grateful. Thank you.

Last edited:
@nsxpert!
giphy.gif

@andrewLA, what's the status here? I'm back in town from vacation and have an SMC you can borrow as well. PM me or @nsxpert if you still need one. Alternately, if you have AAA you should be able to request a free toe but they may need wheel dollies to load it onto a flatbed if the ESS is completely flat and you can't get into Tow Mode.