Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help - Need to borrow security lug nut key from local SoCal owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

chronopublish

2008 Roadster #VP27
Jun 10, 2009
Hi all,

My Roadster needs new tires and my security lug nut key has gone missing. Is there anyone in the South OC region who could help me out? I can drive to you and remove the lug nuts at your location so you'll get the key back immediately.

Thanks,

Jason

I checked the toolkit and don’t see a number. The owner’s manual references part no TR0055.

Attachments

• A0153E63-9816-4852-94C4-B6EE075BCF35.jpeg
    A0153E63-9816-4852-94C4-B6EE075BCF35.jpeg
    432.2 KB · Views: 93
7 points so it rules out 70%, it’s on a small base circle so that rules out another 20%, that leaves P,Q,N,S the inside is a uniform star shape, that rules out P and S. Q looks the model symmetrical as does your bolt, hence Q. It was a slow night. Someone with image skills could overlay the images. I’m a hardware guy so I’m no help there.

7 points so it rules out 70%, it’s on a small base circle so that rules out another 20%, that leaves P,Q,N,S the inside is a uniform star shape, that rules out P and S. Q looks the model symmetrical as does your bolt, hence Q. It was a slow night. Someone with image skills could overlay the images. I’m a hardware guy so I’m no help there.
Alternative suggestion. Order a set of lug bolts, the un-keyed ones, from Tesla, and have them swapped. I think mine ran a total of $35-ish, and they swapped mine for free.

The bolts are nearly impossible to get out without the extension tool, which isn't hens' teeth to find, but not something you'd find in a random wheel thief's pocket. There's also not a huge market for the wheels, so risk is low. My original key broke during a tire swap, leaving me with a significant problem in that I only had 4 bolts on one wheel. Making things worse, the local SC didn't have a set of keys. We (both the SC through their channels, and I via the on-line support chat) had to plead with another SC to overnight the key set (there were only 8, I thought?) so that the SC could do the swap and the tire place get the new tires on the car. All in all, it took several weeks to resolve. If I recall, the SC we got the keys from is the one in San Rafael, CA, but there should be one closer to you.

Alternative suggestion. Order a set of lug bolts, the un-keyed ones, from Tesla, and have them swapped. I think mine ran a total of $35-ish, and they swapped mine for free.

This is exactly what I ended up doing - was able to drive to Torrance and they had the full set of keys there and made the swap to un-keyed lug nuts for just the cost of parts ($22 iirc).

Thank you everyone for all the help! That image overlay is awesome Roadster!