Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

help needed : EV safety for the fire service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Rifleman

Now owns 2 Model S's!!!
Nov 29, 2011
Harrison Ohio
For those who do not know me in real life, I am a volunteer fire officer at one of the many local fire departments. After the drama surrounding the chevy volt fires, many firefighters think that after a crash, EV's are unsafe and that they will either burst into flames killing the occupants, or electrocute firefighters who are attempting to cut victims out of a crashed EV. We all know that this is untrue, but we need to spread the word to the first responders that we may someday rely on to save our lives.

My department teams up with several of the other local departments to conduct joint training sessions. In these trainings, the firefighters from several departments will get together and train on a specific topic that they would receive training on during their regular duty shifts. I have been assigned to coordinate and teach the August training, and guess what topic I have selected to teach.

This is where I need help. I currently have nothing to work with for this training. Does anyone have access to any powerpoints, handouts, or other safety materials that would be of benefit to fire service personal who might respond to incidents involving EV's? Ideally I would like to have an hour to 90 minutes of classroom time, followed by an opportunity for the fire fighters to actually take a look at some EV's, look under the hood, connect and disconnect EVSE's, ect (I plan to contact the local Chevy and Nissan Dealers to see if they could arrange for a Volt and a Leaf to make the scene. If there are any roadster owners, or a very early delivery Model S owner in the area who would be willing to let some firemen drool over their car, that would also be very helpful.) I figured that this would be a good place to start, since we are all EV enthusiast, I figure someone might have some materials that would be helpful. Thanks for any help that can be offered, hopefully this class will be a good first start at educating first responders about EV's and ending some of the harmful myths about them.