Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help needed for reasons why my company should let me buy a Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here's the deal.
I am due a new company car at the end of the year.
Typically they let us choose what we want and set the budget at something like a passat - circa £25-30k
and we have that for for years.
Can you choose a used or CPO for that price?

When you get hired, if you already have a car, can you get the money instead,
or do you have to sale your own car if you cannot park another car at your residence?

If you have a nicer car than the one they offer, what would you do?

Can you use this car for personal usage? If so, is there any mileage limitation, and can you travel in another country for vacations?

If you buy a cheaper car than what you get allowed, can you keep the difference?

May be a better luck would be ask buying a Leaf, Zoe, e-Golf... and have a L2 charger installed at your home,
with a separate meter to get reimbursed for your electricity.

You can always opt out of the company car scheme, claim a car allowance (taxable) and claim mileage from the company.

You are then driving the car that you want, paying your own insurance etc.

You can also claim the tax back on the difference in mileage rate that your company pays and the 45/25p HMRC rate.

I opted out of the company car scheme years ago and I got my Tesla at the end of March :D:D

May be a better luck would be ask buying a Leaf, Zoe, e-Golf...

Don't think they are going to have the daily-range?
So nearly at the point of decent choice for 200-250 mile real-world range ...
5 years time and we will all have forgotten what it was like in the "good old days" ...

I currently have a 130 miles / 210 kilometers and about 3 hours daily commute 5 days, and sometime 6 days a week.
So I understand your situation. The only current practical EV is the Model S 100D.

My calculations on the model S in the End showed that the total my company would spend over 4 years
would be £53,230 on the passat and £60,766 on the Tesla S
(buying an ex-demonstrator which is still eligible for FYA allowance and they can still remove the £4.5k grant).

So it's surprisingly not a massive difference on cost and the company buy cars cash up front and are open minded to ways to save money.

If you can get good deal with a CPO demonstrator car, I would recommend getting a Model S.
Well, this give a real perspective of the current state of EV (cost and range) in the case of heavy business usage.