Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Needed, How to file a complaint to Tesla

Matt L

Jul 20, 2018
OK USA
And you believe that this guy and/or his car represents Tesla's QC?

How many cars are they delivering every week?

It’s likely not far off though. Let’s not pretend Tesla is delivering BMW quality engineering but that still doesn’t explain exactly what the complaint is.

If it’s not good enough...don’t buy it. Seems simple

glide

Jun 6, 2018
USA
And you believe that this guy and/or his car represents Tesla's QC?

How many cars are they delivering every week?

I have no reason to doubt his story. And the fact of the matter is, compared to the number of vehicle deliveries per week, they have an unacceptable QC policy.

Do you think Ford, GM, BMW, etc...who deliver thounds more cars per week, have these types of issues? No way.

Garlan Garner

Banned
Mar 31, 2016
Chicagoland
It’s likely not far off though. Let’s not pretend Tesla is delivering BMW quality engineering but that still doesn’t explain exactly what the complaint is.

If it’s not good enough...don’t buy it. Seems simple

I have a BMW quality car....as a matter of fact....Tesla sold delivered more cars than Toyota and Audi and Honda put together last quarter.

Its a shame they are selling so many cars.....Isn't it? <------ loaded with sarcasm.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide

Uncle Paul

Nov 1, 2013
Canyon Lake,CA
How will complaining help your situation?

The service centers are great at aligning panels and things like that.

I would drive the car for a bit and see if anything else will need attending to. Do everything at once.

Make a service appointment and arrange for a rental. This way they can have everything in stock for you when you arrive. It is not all that bad a system.

I understand that everyone wants a perfect car. Friend just picked up hers and so far it has been flawless. Yours happened to have a slightly misaligned door. They will get you take care of.

It is also possible that your issue might be able to be taken care of with the Ranger system, where a trained technician will come to your home or place of business and effect the repair on site. Worth checking into.

In my 2 years with Tesla I have needed to take my car in twice. Once for a warranty adjustment to my rear folding seat and once to have it de-corked to gain additional performance. Both were free and not too painful.

Matt L

Jul 20, 2018
OK USA
I have a BMW quality car....as a matter of fact....Tesla sold delivered more cars than Toyota and Audi and Honda put together last quarter.

Its a shame they are selling so many cars.....Isn't it? <------ loaded with sarcasm.
That’s factually not true. But even if it was, I’m not sure what your point is.

Garlan Garner

Banned
Mar 31, 2016
Chicagoland
How will complaining help your situation?

The service centers are great at aligning panels and things like that.

I would drive the car for a bit and see if anything else will need attending to. Do everything at once.

Make a service appointment and arrange for a rental. This way they can have everything in stock for you when you arrive. It is not all that bad a system.

I understand that everyone wants a perfect car. Friend just picked up hers and so far it has been flawless. Yours happened to have a slightly misaligned door. They will get you take care of.

It is also possible that your issue might be able to be taken care of with the Ranger system, where a trained technician will come to your home or place of business and effect the repair on site. Worth checking into.

In my 2 years with Tesla I have needed to take my car in twice. Once for a warranty adjustment to my rear folding seat and once to have it de-corked to gain additional performance. Both were free and not too painful.

My P3D+ has been flawless.

Come on over FUDsters....I'll show it to you.

• Disagree
Reactions: Matt L

S4WRXTTCS

May 3, 2015
Snohomish, WA
As I understand it you had around 3 days to return the vehicle (assuming you didn't test drive one which is a really weird policy).

I was in the same boat as you during pickup.I debated about whether to refuse delivery and get another VIN, or to accept it and have them repair it later. I wish I would have considered temporarily refusing delivery until they fixed it, but I didn't think of that.

I went with accepting the vehicle, and having them repair it later.

I was going to write them an email summarizing my list of suggestions to prevent the issue. In my case it was a bumper misalignment that was clearly a few mm off.

I was mostly mad that I was brought down to look at that. It's one of those vehicle horror shows that you never want to witness. It was like watching a football player break an ankle. I'll never be able to unsee it.

I almost had to go to an Italian car dealer to try to see something pretty enough to recover from the sheer pain of what I witnessed from Tesla. It was like Tesla threw right up on me.

The really bad part I was a really happy Model S owner, and they pulled that stunt.

Luckily it's been fixed (at least okayishly), but now how bad NoA is has all but replaced the pain that was the eyesore of that alignment issue.

That's really frustrating as one of my primary reasons for going from the Model S to the 3 was to go from AP1 to EAP/FSD.

Moral of the story? Don't worry. You'll either completely forget about It while enjoying the car or some other issue will crop up that will get your attention.

If you wrote emails to Tesla about everything you wouldn't have time to vent on TMC. Plus there isn't anyone to really write an email to.

It's like emailing into thin air.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike and Matt L

aronth5

Long Time Follower
May 8, 2010
Boston Suburb
Hello All,

I recently purchased a new Model 3, and during the new car delivery inspection, I found a few issues, some are serious issues and some are less. I can now understand why there are alot of complaints about the cheap quality against Model 3 online. I have already scheduled an service appointment. However, send in a brand new vehicle with ~50 miles for a service? This never happended to me before and its hard to accept this.
So, I need your help and let know how to file a complaint regarding my issues. Preferrably a email or online. I have already drafted a complaint and would like to send it to someone that can help me out with my issues. Thank you all for the time.
If you already have a service appointment scheduled why not wait to see how it goes? Then with additional information, good or bad you can revise your "complaint regarding my issues" letter and submit it to Tesla.
It might also be helpful for this thread if you provided a short list of the serious issues you have and see what feedback existing owners can provide that might be helpful to you.

planetary

Dec 29, 2018
Danville, CA

Garland, I think you might have meant EVs, not total cars, as your note suggests. For all vehicles, taking the month of December alone, Tesla sold 32k cars, whereas the three makers you mentioned combined to sell 10x that amount (Toyota sold 180k, Audi sold 23k, and Honda sold 138k). But if we restrict it to EVs, I think you might be right.

Matt L

Jul 20, 2018
OK USA
Tesla is not a startup at this point. They have been producing vehicles for 10 years.

Stop excusing their terrible behavior.
Any car company that has started in the US in the last 100 years is a startup. All of them have gone out of business except one...and it barely survived. It did so by ramping up production in a rediculous way...in a tent.

Those aren’t excuses, those are facts. The fact that people expect perfection within that environment is laughable.

• Disagree
Reactions: M109Rider and glide

glide

Jun 6, 2018
USA
Any car company that has started in the US in the last 100 years is a startup. All of them have gone out of business except one...and it barely survived. It did so by ramping up production in a rediculous way...in a tent.

Those aren’t excuses, those are facts. The fact that people expect perfection within that environment is laughable.

Those are excuses. So they won’t be an “established” company until 2108 according to your logic?

I don’t buy it. Nor is it an excuse for poor QC.

• Disagree
Reactions: Matt L

glide

Jun 6, 2018
USA
That’s fine. Name one other car company producing cars in a tent. How is their build quality?

Why does it matter if they are built in a tent, a garage, an industrial building, or a pyramid? No matter where they choose to put them together they should have proper QC in place. Wasn’t Elon squawking about how the tent was “revolutionary” a few months ago?

Again, this is not an excuse for poor QC. They were having QC issues long before the tent sprung up.

Stop defending them. It reeks of desperation.

Reactions: kavyboy

Matt L

Jul 20, 2018
OK USA
Why does it matter if they are built in a tent, a garage, an industrial building, or a pyramid? No matter where they choose to put them together they should have proper QC in place. Wasn’t Elon squawking about how the tent was “revolutionary” a few months ago?

Again, this is not an excuse for poor QC. They were having QC issues long before the tent sprung up.

Stop defending them. It reeks of desperation.

I think if you search my postings I have been targeted several times because I’ve pointed out their lack of build quality. I’m not making excuses at all. I got lucky and mine has no issues but I understand there are issues.

The tent is an issue because it show immaturity and rush to ramp things up. In that rush QC didn’t get the priority established production get or that this one should have received.

Ok, put down the chew toy...this one is out of flavor

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC