Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help needed in changing the charge port trident cable 1006033

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Having recurring issues charging and a Tesla tech diagnose that the problem comes from an overly oxidized trident cable pin. As either the mobile or in shop service appointment date is two weeks out, I am inclined to attempt to change the cable myself. Has any of you done that and what is the technical difficulty level on a 1 to 10 scale. Also, in the service manual, which section of the manual would cover that procedure. Thanks in advance for any help. Cheers

Ok thanks for the great input.

@Propilot : your avatar ( most likely your dog) looks so much like the charger port !! It’s as if you added this avatar to answer my post :))

1649873378740.png
1649873378740.png

If I put some of that grease, isn’t there a chance That dust accumulates and create difficulties over one? I recall Tesla service mentioning not to put any product in the charge port. Obviously as a short gap solution (up to the appointment), I see no issues. However, if you think long term is no problem, that could mean I could skip the change of the trident altogether Ehat do you think?

A quick follow-up : I did not have time to buy dielectric grease but had to do an out of town trip yesterday with the intent of buying the grease later in the day. Later in the day ended up being after store closure time. It was raining hard and when I got to the supercharger at 12% state of charge, it would not charge. Tried many Supercharger outlets and even a Chademo connection with a public charger but no luck. Another Tesla owner that saw I had a red ring around the charge port inquired what was the issue and I explained the situation. While talking, it became obvious to me that the weather is a big factor in this charging problem and I mentioned to him that if I could have a way to use a hair drier it would most likely solve my issue. He mentioned to me there is a close by hotel and maybe I could go there and borrow such hair drier. That is what I did and voilà, after no more than five minutes of drying the charge port, charging resumed even if it was still pouring rain. So from now on, I'll carry a hair drier in the model S. Cheers

This reinforces the need for dialectric grease ! Clearly moisture is an issue and the grease will provide a barrier from the moisture. You want one that is a spray. This is what I recommend and exactly what I would do.

1) spray the connector liberally with 'Contact Cleaner' to degrease and clean it out. This will remove oxidization and contamination from the pins
2) use a can of 'air duster' (high pressure clean air in a can used to clean residue off of electronic components) to thoroughly clean and dry out the connector
3) spray in the dialectric grease to coat the electrical contactors

There is absolutely no risk/danger to doing this and in the end, you may just have moisture contamination that needs to be mitigated. When I look at your picture above, one of the small pins clearly has oxidization and contamination at the base and that connector looks like a greasy mess ! I believe my recommendation will fix you up.

Um. As it happens, in my day job, I contend with corrosion on connectors from time to time. Not, I emphasize, with Tesla-like connectors, so everything I'm saying here is from a slightly-better-than-a-tyro person.
First off: If those pictures, above, are your connectors, they've seen better days. But what I'm seeing in there is all the crud built up at the base of the connector pins. So, it's crossing my mind that it's not corrosion on the pins themselves (that would, presumably, lead to high enough resistance to prevent decent contact) but, rather, partial shorts between pins because, often, crud is conductive.
That would kind of fit with your, "If it's dry, it's fixed".. because water saturated crud is, of course, a relatively decent conductor of electricity. And, to my knowledge, the Tesla's computers are designed to pick up excessive leakage.
Tesla probably took one look at that and invoked the Nuclear Option: Swap out the connector for one that's clean. And, just because we're funning around here, I note that the bottom right thin pin has some Green Stuff around the base. My understanding is that those two thin pins carry the communications protocol between the car and whatever charger/wall-connector/wall-connector one might have. An open there would also do the business.
Another oddity is that there's little rubber gaskets at the bottoms of three bottom pins.. and they look slightly mangled and off-center. Um. That can't be good, either. One sec while I take a look at the ones in my 2018 car M3..
1650036854617.png

Ha. No gaskets and very, very clean.
Finally: connectors have wires on the other side that are connected to the pins in some way. I have no idea how Tesla does that. If you have corrosion on one side, you could have corrosion on the other, life being life. (As a random guess, that's one reason why gaskets: To keep stuff from leaking through.)

So: From your pictures, it looks like the design of that power connector was different in 2018 from when you got your car. Second: There's no crud down there on mine, but there sure is on yours.

So, first things first. You can wait for Tesla to replace the connector. I have zero doubts that that'll fix your problems, probably permanently.
Second: If you're feeling adventurous, you might do something about cleaning out the crud. Before adding any grease, please.
First, with the following, there's a risk: There are electronic cleaners of various stripes. And there are plastics, some of which don't take kindly to certain kinds of cleaners: i.e., they'll melt.
Having said that, the most common electronic cleaner found in most households is denatured alcohol. I use it at work pretty frequently on circuit boards; the kind of circuit board I'm familiar with is built out of FR4, which is fiberglass impregnated with resins. A little denatured alcohol after a soldering job cleans out the left-over rosin flux without trouble. And the kinds of components used on the boards upon which I work have never had an issue with alcohol. But, with all things, One Never Knows.
So, if you're willing to take a bit of a risk, get a Q-tip and some denatured alcohol. Go to a piece of the black plastic that has a long distance to anything else and, with the Q-tip, put a thin smear on the plastic. Stand back: Look for bubbling, softening, or anything else, and don't use much alcohol. Let it dry, and inspect: Did the plastic get damaged in any way? If it did, forget it and wait for Tesla.
If you get past this part, being very careful, repeat the test, but this time, put a tiny bit of alcohol on one of those gaskety things at the bottom of the connector area. Again, look for anything untoward. If it the rubber gets softened, mushy, or anything like that, cease and desist and go to wait-for-Tesla mode. (Remember that I said there were risks?)
If nothing tries to dissolve on you, get busy. Using that swab, and other swabs, clean the heck out of the bottom of the connector. Get rid of as much crud as you can, using multiple Q-tips to get in there and do the deed. Hopefully, after you finish, it'll look more like mine (smooth, black plastic) down there.
Note that none of this will make your gaskets straighten up and fly right. But, if you're very lucky, you'll stop having water humidity issues after the cleansing.

Still think you'll want that connector replaced, although, being out of warranty, you'll have to pay some $$ to do it.

Reactions: hydro
The tech came by today via mobile service. Great tech and very friendly. Before changing the trident, he checked my HPWC handle and had to clean it thoroughly as there was vert de gris and then oiled it with “contact oil”. I had to go in the house while he did the procedure so I did not see him do it but the connector is like new. He said dielectric grease would be too thick. The trident was very much covered with vert de Gris.

Cost 275.00$ canadian plus tax. I had already paid 105$ for diagnostic back in March.

All is fine now.

Thanks again to all of you

Indeed.

It made me appreciate Tesla once more: the tech was very friendly and professional. What better service can you get than at your doorstep. Hopefully, eventually, Tesla will reinstate phone service to make appointment as the current process is like having to get service from a glorified vending machine with an IPhone interface. That is definitely the part I dislike the most for any service that is not maintenance related.

Cheers to all