Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Needed - Summer Car Show in Leelanau

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am new to the forum and new to the concept of participating in this type of media. So I ask for your forgiveness if I err in etiquette in my initial posts and also your suggestions for best avenues in getting the word out on what we’re trying to achieve as described below.

I am with a group called Northport Energy based in Northport, Michigan. We are about 30 miles up the beautiful Leelanau peninsula above Traverse City. For ten years now our group have been advocates for renewable energy on the peninsula. We’ve had some pretty significant achievements in bringing both wind and solar to the area (including the first 100% solar powered golf course in the US). But, we work in and support all initiatives related to renewable energy.

Last summer we assisted the Village of Northport in installing three, level two EV chargers (two Tesla, one Universal) in our central shopping district. These are the first publicly available chargers north of Traverse City on the peninsula (you should now be able find them listed on all the major EV charging web sites).

It happens that our village also hosts a wonderful outdoor car show, called Northport Cars-In-The-Park, each Memorial Day weekend. The show is held in a downtown park, on the shores of west Grand Traverse Bay next to our marina. In this beautiful setting we get well over 100 autos on display from all categories, from muscle cars to classics and everything in between. Last years’ show included a single electric - a Tesla 2008 roadster. In terms of visitors, Cars-In-The-Park is the third largest event of the entire summer in this area. This is a one-day event, for 2018 it will occur on Saturday, May 26.

In order to further celebrate our Village for being a leader in the electric vehicle movement, we’ve had discussions with the show organizers over the winter. They have agreed to add a unique section of the show this year that will feature electric vehicles. Our concept is to create a small island of EV’s, perhaps a half-dozen or more autos as well as other displays of charging stations and examples of the technologies. We want to make this an educational moment as well as showing off beautiful hardware. While we do hope to have other brands beyond Tesla displayed, I would very much like to find local owners of all Tesla models who would commit to bring an auto and become part of our display for the day (it would be even better if we could identify a “back-up” group as well, ready to fill in in case of last minute drops).

So, with all that, what I am really asking is can the forum help me identify, and put me in touch with local owners who might be willing to come spend a day in our community, teaching and showing off their Tesla vehicles?

Thanks, JoeD
Northport Energy
www.NorthportEnergy.org

• Love
Reactions: Brian-MS90D
Joe,

I have a Model III hopefully being delivered in a couple weeks and might be up for a road trip. We were up in our Model S this fall on a color tour and and we were going to stop in at Tucker's and charge, but we spent too long at Sleeping Bear and ended up skipping Northport. Thanks for working on charging and EV awareness. Let me know details for the event and I will see if I can make it up.

Joe,

I have a Model III hopefully being delivered in a couple weeks and might be up for a road trip. We were up in our Model S this fall on a color tour and and we were going to stop in at Tucker's and charge, but we spent too long at Sleeping Bear and ended up skipping Northport. Thanks for working on charging and EV awareness. Let me know details for the event and I will see if I can make it up.
Excellent! Can you get in touch with me via [email protected] so we can communicate more directly?

UPDATE - CAR SHOW & EV'S IN LEELANAU
All, Thanks for your assistance. Have had a couple owners interested in coming up but NEED MORE. Reminder, while I'm a Tesla fan, we'd like a range of EV's to better demonstrate to the public what is available to them for choices in the EV universe.

We now have a commitment from a ClipperCreek rep who is coming and bringing a display for universal chargers. Working with Tesla rep for same from them.

See first post in this thread for all event details. Thank you for your support!