Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Needed to identify commando socket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator comment - thread renamed from "Help Needed!" to a more descriptive title

Hello,

I hope you can help, I am wondering if anyone on here has the knowledge of if there is an adaptor available to charge my tesla from one of these as pictured below ?

Attachments

• IMG_20210517_170543.jpg
    IMG_20210517_170543.jpg
    724.9 KB · Views: 483
Last edited by a moderator:
Is this a standard outdoor socket? In which case yes, you can get an adapter for your UMC...

Hello,

I hope you can help, I am wondering if anyone on here has the knowledge of if there is an adaptor available to charge my tesla from one of these as pictured below ?
There's a blue adapter available from the Tesla shop which adapts your UMC to that connector assuming it's the 3 pin commando type.

If you use one you should be able to get 16amps from the UMC rather than the 10amps you get from a standard plug.
Sadly they seem to be out of stock. In 2019 the cars came with them included so lots of people have them already but they stopped including them sadly.

If you use one you should be able to get 16amps from the UMC rather than the 10amps you get from a standard plug.
Sadly they seem to be out of stock. In 2019 the cars came with them included so lots of people have them already but they stopped including them sadly.
The 32A one is in stock, so that and a 16-32A adapter cable would do the trick and then you'd also have the option of plugging into a 32A socket if you ever came across one.

These used to come with the car but not any more, as I found out when I collected mine a few days ago.

I'm sure I saw that Tesla offer them in 16A and 32A versions. I think 32 allows you to charge at 7kwh but I'm not sure on the specs/electrics on that.

Is this a standard outdoor socket? In which case yes, you can get an adapter for your UMC...

So If i use that link do i need the 16a or the 32amp one do you know ?

Last edited:
or you could try here:
see if anyone has a spare one they will sell you. since lots of people got them included and will never use them.

Reactions: Adopado and K3v1n
was just about to add that option 👍

It's an option, but a slightly dangerous one. The car will think it's connected to a 32 A supply, so will try to draw 32 A through the 16 A connector, and wiring.

The charging current can be limited in the car. If it isn't, hopefully the supply will just trip, if it's been properly protected with a suitable MCB. If it hasn't, everything will get a bit warm and quite likely a bit melty.

Luke

Edit - typo.

Last edited:
It's an option, but a slightly dangerous one. The car will think it's connected to a 32 A supply, so will try to try 32 A through the 16 A connector, and wiring.

The charging current can be limited in the car. If it isn't, hopefully the supply will just trip, if it's been properly protected with a suitable MCB. If it hasn't, everything will get a bit warm and quite likely a bit melty.

Luke
Thank you melty zapping fire stuff not really my bag I have posted a request in the forum hopefully someone will have one they want to sell.

K

Thank you melty zapping fire stuff not really my bag I have posted a request in the forum hopefully someone will have one they want to sell.

K
probably a good idea but just so you know the car is smart. if you set it to 16amp in a location it will remember and return to 16amp in that location next time so you don't have to remember every time. and if it was set wrongly to 32 it would just trip the supply. And if your 16amp commando does not have a suitable fuse/mcb I would move /get an electrician to check out your wiring anyways since that would be dangerous for any use.

Reactions: K3v1n
The 32A one is in stock, so that and a 16-32A adapter cable would do the trick and then you'd also have the option of plugging into a 32A socket if you ever came across one.

Definitely not!! Each adapter for the UMC determines what the car will try to draw. The 32amp commando will tell the car/UMC that's it's fine to take the full 32amps (7+ kW) ... but you are recommending someone connects this to a 16amp rated socket ... this is a bad thing. Hopefully it would just trip the circuit but alternatively they might be really unlucky and it starts a fire.

You can do it the other way around in that you can have a 16amp UMC adapter connected to a 32amp converter to a 32amp supply ... this will be safe but will still only supply 16amps. It does provide another option though.